Allow Cannibalism vs. Heavy-handed GMing

Aplus

First Post
I would have the bad guys interrupt the actual fight, while all the PCs are alive. After all, they'd be making a racket, drawing the attention of the dreaded Wandering Monsters. Then the players would get a choice -- stop fighting amongst themselves and fight the monster, or keep fighting each other and die.

great recommendation! it's much more immediate than allowing them to decimate their own group and then try to finish the dungeon and likely fail.

jbear

First Post
I don't think this is a gaming situation either. The age bracket makes this a different kettle of fish. If I let my son derail a game like that, the derailing would become the game and he'd be quite happy to repeat that ad infinitum.

Like someone said on page 1 this is a parenting concern. The catch is youre not mum or dad, you're friendly Uncle Aplus who may or may not represent any kind of 'disciplinary figure' in their lives. I'm guessing not, Uncles get to dodge that responsabilty.

I would lay things out clearly for them. Cooperation is a rule. If they can't manage it there is no game.

Then avoid those loot moments. Noone gets to pick and choose. When loot is found it's group gold and each simultaneously finds something tailor made to their character. You tell each one of them what they find and who it's for.

I have just begun a game with 5 year olds. They found treasure at the end of the first session. The Druid got a pair of Magic Gloves that give him the power Spirit Guide. The Paladin got a Magic Sword which gives him the power Faith. And the Mage got a Magic Wand which gives her the power Concentration. Basically all +1 weapons with an encounter power that allows them to reroll a missed attack.

All the same thing, reflavoured so they seem different. No arguing. No one feling like they are getting less than the others. Easy solution to handle typical kid-conflict situations.

Moleculo

First Post
You need to find a way to immediately reward cooperation, rather than expecting them to have the foresight to know the dungeon will be getting harder.

One way would be to let them duke it out, but introduce the idea of Karma (or the Obi-wan effect :)). When a player's character dies, their final alignment affects their next character. A good/cooperative/non-disruptive player's next character (you know, the one that's found in the closet chained up waiting to be rescued) starts with some sort of bonus: max hps, a high point buy character, extra luck points. If they're evil, or have slain other party members unjustly, then they have drawbacks, like low physical stats, below average hps, or even starting them at a lower level. Of course through cooperation they could work off their detriments.

Stormonu

Legend
Give the players some options for venting arguments through friendly rivalry.

If they want to fight over loot, propose that they "cast the bones" for it or proffer for them to a non-lethal duel for items. An interesting twist might be a magical item that is sentient, and will only accept to be wielded by the individual who can impress it in some (non-lethal) fashion that requires partial teamwork to succeed.

Perhaps they can work up a rivalry similar to Gimli and Legolas - who can kill the most, or some sort of other friendly, ongoing competition.

Perhaps they can attempt to fight over the favor of a princess, powerful hero or some sort of tutor/financeer. Of course, the person they're trying to impress is sending them on quests, and lavishes the most attention/reward on the individual who performs the best overall (they'll need to work together to succeed, but have the wiggle room to try and outperform the others).

Perhaps you can show them how working together helps them when they face villians who bicker among themselves; if the players cooperate while the opponents fight amongst themselves, they'll get the idea they're stronger when they're not quarreling.

Aplus

First Post
I don't think this is a gaming situation either. The age bracket makes this a different kettle of fish. If I let my son derail a game like that, the derailing would become the game and he'd be quite happy to repeat that ad infinitum.

I would lay things out clearly for them. Cooperation is a rule. If they can't manage it there is no game.

I think this is ultimately the right and proper approach. It has just been difficult to swallow, since it goes against everything I believe about RPGs and allowing freedom of choice. However with freedom/power comes responsibility, and I just don't think they're ready for that yet. Someday perhaps, but not yet.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Remove ads