D&D 5E Alternate rules for "Surprise Round"

Laurefindel

Legend
This variant Ambush rule can lead to defenders attacking before their ambushers, which is something that i don't think ever happened in any iterations of D&D's surprised rules. It's easier to pull off but fairly weakened. Personally i prefer more difficult / impacting Surprise rules.
This is no different than RaW

In RaW, if the ambushers don't roll well on Stealth and don't beat the player-characters' passive perception DC, they'll be seen and the ambush fails. Then, if the PC roll better than the ambushers on their initiative, the defenders will act before the ambushers. So it's happening already, and failed ambushes have been part of D&D since the beginning.

In this variant like in RaW, if you roll badly on your Stealth, your ambush will fail. The main difference is that in RaW, it is possible to fail the ambush but act first in combat (not possible in this variant), and with this variant, the ambush can also fail if the PC roll well on Perception (check is made against flat DC in RaW rather than contested roll).

[edit] also by RaW, a lucky ambusher can have two full turns before their opponents. This variant does not allow that.

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
Note that some DMs (not this one) use group checks to determine success of stealth for an ambush situation. So long as at least half of the PCs have a stealth roll that exceeds the highest passive perception, the entire party gets the benefit of surprise.

When a PC gets to go in initiative order before the ambushers have revealed themselves, I hint at their presence without clearly revealing what will be revealing itself. "You hear whispered voices saying, 'Attack' from somewhere in the trees," or "You hear footfalls in the darkness to your left - you're not sure exactly where, but they are charging towards you," or "As you move forward you notice the air in front of you is distorted, as if something was bending the light. You just notice it for a moment, but it puts you on edge. Do you want to do something?"

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
This is no different than RaW

In RaW, if the ambushers don't roll well on Stealth and don't beat the player-characters' passive perception DC, they'll be seen and the ambush fails. Then, if the PC roll better than the ambushers on their initiative, the defenders will act before the ambushers. So it's happening already, and failed ambushes have been part of D&D since the beginning.

In this variant like in RaW, if you roll badly on your Stealth, your ambush will fail. The main difference is that in RaW, it is possible to fail the ambush but act first in combat (not possible in this variant), and with this variant, the ambush can also fail if the PC roll well on Perception (check is made against flat DC in RaW rather than contested roll).

[edit] also by RaW, a lucky ambusher can have two full turns before their opponents. This variant does not allow that.
If all sides notice each others, there is no ambush RAW since no Surprise occur.

RAW it's impossible to have two turns before an opponent since every creature in combats gets 1 turn. A surprised creature still gets a turn even if it doesn't act or move and get to use reactions after it's first turn.

Laurefindel

Legend
If all sides notice each others, there is no ambush RAW since no Surprise occur.

RAW it's impossible to have two turns before an opponent since every creature in combats gets 1 turn. A surprised creature still gets a turn even if it doesn't act or move and get to use reactions after it's first turn.
By RaW, you could surprise your opponent and win initiative. Round 1, you act and your enemy doesn’t because surprise. Round 2, you take your turn before theirs; therefore having two turns before your ambushee’s first turn.

[edit] never mind; I got it. Still, you had two rounds worth of actions, they had one reaction after their first turn

and in this variant, if the ambusher fails to beat the defender’s perception, there is no surprise (against that creature at any case). Just like in RaW. The only big difference between this variant and RaW is that it doesn’t allow to fail the stealth approach but still act first in combat (through initiative). Either you succeed on your ambush and act before your opponent (who get no reaction), or your ambush fail s and your opponent acts before you.

at least that - and the double-turn against surprised enemies with lower initiative - is the main difference with RaW. Unless I’m missing something, which you seem to suggest I am (which is probably the case).

Last edited:

I would add some monsters the special trait Ambusher.
This trait come with a DC for a wisdom perception check. Other check may be allowed or required, such as wisdom insight, intelligence investigation.
The characters that fail the check are surprised by the ambush set by the monster(s).

The DC for the ambush is not related to the stealth bonus of the monster and can be as high as a trap.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
@Laurefindel any changes to the Alert feat? It seems compatible. The +5 bonus to advantage can still apply regardless of what else is modifying the roll, and the "you can't be surprised while you are conscious" would continue to mean that you don't suffer surprise, even before your initiative.

Remove ads