D&D 5E Alternate solution: Whack-a-mole healing

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Maybe in very low levels like levels 1-3 where your character should only be using these spells for very clutch moments, but when you're level 5+ you'll have enough spell slots to cast out-of-combat healing and still have the slots for emergency pick-ups.

But also, at these low levels, HP recovery is more valuable because the chances of your character instantly dying if left too low is higher. Its a swingier game and maybe 4HP isn't going to have the max 13HP fighter survive the Orc's 18 damage critical attack. Health is an extremely important buffer for very low levels and you don't want to skimp out on it unless it really is an emergency.
It's not just 4 hp
1615671323341.png
It's literally written to take advantage of this problem deliberately & all but tells you the spell tailor made for it

Asisreo

Patron Badass
It's not just 4 hp
It's literally written to take advantage of this problem deliberately & all but tells you the spell tailor made for it
On average, its around 4-5 hp but its mostly an equal range of 4-7HP. But that's why I discussed the 18 damage attack, because if they recovered 4HP from 0, they're left with an "insta-kill buffer" of 17. 18 damage is more than enough to instantly kill them. Of course, they'd be down from 4 damage, but I'm talking about them being wholly dead, not merely unconscious or unstable.

And that's a fighter which has an unusually high maximum HP on average compared to other classes. A wizard or sorcerer might only have 10HP to buffer an instant kill.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
On average, its around 4-5 hp but its mostly an equal range of 4-7HP. But that's why I discussed the 18 damage attack, because if they recovered 4HP from 0, they're left with an "insta-kill buffer" of 17. 18 damage is more than enough to instantly kill them. Of course, they'd be down from 4 damage, but I'm talking about them being wholly dead, not merely unconscious or unstable.

And that's a fighter which has an unusually high maximum HP on average compared to other classes. A wizard or sorcerer might only have 10HP to buffer an instant kill.
it might not seem that impressive at the levels where that orc is a threat, but it also allows a bonus action & first level spell slot from a pc 60ft away to nullify one round of say...
1615678887468.png

Remove ads