• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternative Divine Smite Idea

vander79

First Post
I've had some complaints about the current implementation of the paladin Divine Smite feature. Some have complained about the inherent control being ignored due to certain game's pacing and the frequency of long rests. Some have complained about the power of multi-classing with other spell casting classes to expand slots to overcome the limitation designed into the smiting. Some have argued the benefit of smiting compared to just casting spells.

I had an idea to change Divine Smite and wanted to get some opinions. The new method looks to address a few concerns which may or may not even be necessary or valid to address.

• Separate the uses of Divine Smite from spell casting
  • Control the number of uses of divine smite in some fair manner
  • Control the potency of divine smites based on paladin level to mitigate multi-classing min/maxing munchkining

I based my design on a combination of the current divine smite and aspects of the rogue sneak attack and the frequency similar to the paladin ability cleansing touch.

Divine Smite: Starting at 2nd level when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack you can choose to deal additional radiant damage. The amount of damage increases as you level as shown in the divine smite column of the paladin table. you can use this feature a number of times equal to your charisma modifier (minimum of 1) You regain the uses after a short or long rest.

Damage Table:Paladin Level 2-4: +1d8. Paladin Level 5-8: +2d8. Paladin Level 9-12: +3d8. Paladin Level 13-16: +4d8. Paladin Level 17-20: +5d8

Would love to see if anyone has any opinions on this. With this opening up the use of spells I considered transitioning the paladin to a 1/3 level caster similar to that of an eldritch knight or arcane trickster rather than a half caster, although that would require a re-tooling of the oaths as they grant spells, so it would likely be too much of an overhaul.

Last edited by a moderator:

A 10th level Cha 20 Paladin under this rule would go from having 112 HP of Divine Smiting per day, if he casts zero spells, to having 67 HP of Divine Smiting per short rest, plus all of his regular spells.

Is this intended to be a neutral change, or one that makes the paladin more attractive? As written it is clearly a boost. I'm not sure that's necessary.

If you turned the paladin into a 1/3 caster like the Eldritch Knight but gave it this version of Divine Smite, it would probably be neutral. You'd turn off some players but attract others.

Xeviat

Hero
Without decreasing their spells, this would be a straight power up. It also "requires" them to max their charisma for optimal use, where the current paladin doesn't use their Cha quite as much; I like that part actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without decreasing their spells, this would be a straight power up. It also "requires" them to max their charisma for optimal use, where the current paladin doesn't use their Cha quite as much; I like that part actually.

Or at least, a single-classed melee paladin maybe doesn't. One of the reasons people multiclass Paladin with Warlock or Sorcerer is to make them SAD on Charisma only.

Anecdotally, I've seen an even mix of Str-heavy and Cha-heavy paladins at my table.

vander79

First Post
I did not intend for it to be a power boost, but after writing it that does appears so. That was why I threw the 1/3 caster aspect into the mix for some neutrality. It is a first pass change I thought I would run past some forums to get a feel for it. The damage numbers could be adjusted or it could be changed to a long rest reset only.

mellored

Legend
Why separate them? Are you also going to separate wizards fireballs and fly spells too?

Multi-classing is fine. You sacrifice your other paladin goodies, like aura's, immunity to fear, lay on hands, and higher hit points, and improved divine smite.

Divine smite is a good level 1 spell, but there's also bless and heroism (though heroism doesn't scale) that compete. Not much competition from level 2 paladin spells. Most level 3 spells are better. Fireball does 8d6 = 28 damage in a large area, compared to a single target 5d8+5 = 27.5 level 3 divine smite. Crusader's mantle with a friendly fighter and barbarian could be 6d4 = 15 damage a round. Aura of vitality is a huge amount of HP. Elemental Weapon is also a good option if you have a long battle.

So I don't see a need to change.

if your problem is that you get a lot of long rests, then you'll want a change that applies to everyone, not single out the paladin. With short days any full caster, Sorcerer the most, are more powerful than those who rely on short rests or at-will stuff, with the rogues suffering the most. The most expedient way is to change the definition of rests.
i.e.
Short rest = 1 day.
Long rest = 1 month.
Or whatever fit's your pacing.

Or perhaps you only regain 1/2 your daily stuff (slots, HP, ect..) during a long rest.

But if you want to go your route, I would simply add "You cannot use more than half your spell slots for divine smite". Which does all 3 things you want.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads