D&D 4E Am I crazy? I've just gotten a hankering to play 4e again...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Not a fan of too much movement away from class identity. The strong sense of this is what it means to be a Fighter, Barbarian, Paladin, or Bard was one of my favorite features of 4e.
To me 4e brought validity to classes (largely via role support) and I was rejecting them entirely in rpgs as far back as the mid 80s too many other games showed more flexible design could serve better.

Not a fan of too much movement away from class identity. The strong sense of this is what it means to be a Fighter, Barbarian, Paladin, or Bard was one of my favorite features of 4e.

Absolutely. Despite many attempts to justify reflavoring or a mechanics-first approach, almost all of the 4e classes had a very strong identity. For me, only the Artificer, the Rune Priest, and the Seeker really fell flat in terms of identity.

Torgaard

Explorer
I thought 4E was brilliant in many ways. There were many things me and my players loved about it, but try as we might to be creative enough to break out of its combat that played like a board game, we just couldn't. The realization that we'd stopped seeing combat as a creative theater-of-the-mind, and almost entirely an exercise in trying to work every angle on push-pull-shift-knockdown-etc mechanics, kind of had us looking at ourselves in the mirror in horror at what we'd become.

Well, ok - a little melodramatic. Wasn't quite that bad. But ya; don't blame anybody for jumping back into it, especially if you dig the tactical strategy game aspect of the combat.

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
I thought 4E was brilliant in many ways. There were many things me and my players loved about it, but try as we might to be creative enough to break out of its combat that played like a board game, we just couldn't. The realization that we'd stopped seeing combat as a creative theater-of-the-mind, and almost entirely an exercise in trying to work every angle on push-pull-shift-knockdown-etc mechanics, kind of had us looking at ourselves in the mirror in horror at what we'd become.

Well, ok - a little melodramatic. Wasn't quite that bad. But ya; don't blame anybody for jumping back into it, especially if you dig the tactical strategy game aspect of the combat.
That was my experience with 3e. By 4e we had gone back to doing half the combats as ToM and as such I think that helped us not run into that problem.

Undrave

Legend
I'm moving soon after almost 12 years in the same place so I'm going through a bunch of stuff right now.

I found my copy of Player's Handbook Races : Tiefling! I completely forgot those were a thing! How many did they make?

It's a soft cover, around 10$, of 32 full color pages on Tieflings. Lots of lore and fluff about Bael Truth (the noble houses!), there's 4e-style backgrounds for Tieflings, then there's a section on Tiefling and their relationship with each power sources followed by a Racial Paragon Paths for that power source (Turathi Hell-Kite for Martial!), an Epic Destiny and a bunch of feats!

Seem like a cool concept. It's too bad there's no room in 5e for equivalent to Racial Paragon Paths.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I'm moving soon after almost 12 years in the same place so I'm going through a bunch of stuff right now.

I found my copy of Player's Handbook Races : Tiefling! I completely forgot those were a thing! How many did they make?

It's a soft cover, around 10$, of 32 full color pages on Tieflings. Lots of lore and fluff about Bael Truth (the noble houses!), there's 4e-style backgrounds for Tieflings, then there's a section on Tiefling and their relationship with each power sources followed by a Racial Paragon Paths for that power source (Turathi Hell-Kite for Martial!), an Epic Destiny and a bunch of feats!

Seem like a cool concept. It's too bad there's no room in 5e for equivalent to Racial Paragon Paths.
According to wikipedia, there was also a Players Handbook Races for Dragonborn. But no others.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
That's a shame. All the races, starting with the more exotic ones, should have gotten one. Especially newer races like Devas, Sharmind and Wilden could have used the fleshing out.
Hmmm I have been casually trying to build a list of un-finished 4e elements like the Epic DMG an Arcane Power 2 and Martial Power III hadn't thought of that

Following up on a very old comment:

Your thinking of the...
D&D® Adventure System Board Games
  • Castle Ravenloft™
  • Wrath of Ashardalon™
  • The Legend of Drizzt™
  • Temple of Elemental Evil™
  • Tomb of Annihilation™
  • Dungeon of the Mad Mage™
...the first three were contemporaries of Essentials, rather than 4e, and the last three have come out since 5e, and show influences from that edition.

Enjoy.

Having played one of these games finally (Castle Ravenloft) I can unequivocally state that these aren't what I'm looking for. This is way too much Descent and nowhere near enough Warhammer Quest.

Remove ads