TSR Am I The Only One Buying Up the DMs Guild Reprints?

Voadam

Legend
Is that Deities and Demigods with the Lovecraftian and Melnibonian mythos, or is it just Legends and Lore with the earlier cover?

I managed to acquire a copy of the Deities and demigods that has the forboden material in the mid-90s, but I'm sure it would be of interest to some people.
I believe it is without Lovecraft and Moorcock, just the Erol Otus cover and word swap of Deities & Demigods/Legends & Lore in the text as differences.

My PDF version is from Paizo though so I can't say from personally seeing drivethru's files. I have the drivethru PDF of the OD&D Gods Demigods & Heroes anniversary reprint and it does not have the Howard or Moorcock parts from the original.

I have physical photocopies of the two 1e missing mythoses from a friends' older book and I am glad I have them.

It seems like there is no legal problem with them putting out the older full version, but I will not be holding my breath.

I'll buy one now and then, but not voraciously. Most of the time it depends on how much more the original product is. Which, can be quite a bit more these days.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I'll buy one now and then, but not voraciously. Most of the time it depends on how much more the original product is. Which, can be quite a bit more these days.
You're not kidding. I was originally planning to just pick up most of the titles I had lost on the secondary market. Then I saw that collectible pricing has taken over that market. It doesn't matter to me if the paper is forty years old or not.

If given the choice between shelling out $10-$20 and $100-$200, with a few exceptions, I will choose the former for my old gaming books.

For my Appendix N reading, though, I will always opt for the older editions, because it's more important for me to experience the books as they were back then, rather than go with a cheaper Kindle or more modern edition.

You're not kidding. I was originally planning to just pick up most of the titles I had lost on the secondary market. Then I saw that collectible pricing has taken over that market. It doesn't matter to me if the paper is forty years old or not.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I don't want or intend to sound morbid, but I suspect the prices of original material will go down significantly in the next 10 years or so. Let's face it, the original gamers in the 70s and even 80s are getting older, and many are sadly dying. I don't see much demand of old material from younger gamers. It's mostly us Gen Xers or older who are buying it all.

GreyLord

Legend
I don't want or intend to sound morbid, but I suspect the prices of original material will go down significantly in the next 10 years or so. Let's face it, the original gamers in the 70s and even 80s are getting older, and many are sadly dying. I don't see much demand of old material from younger gamers. It's mostly us Gen Xers or older who are buying it all.

I'm not so sure. We will see. I expect that some of them will appear in thrift stores or simply be tossed as people go through their old grand parents stuff. Other than that, I think they may retain the value. There are some older books I've wanted to get (Carly Dawson's books for instance) that have not really gone down in price, even those who were from that generation have been dying off pretty regularly now days.

glass

(he, him)
I don't see much demand of old material from younger gamers. It's mostly us Gen Xers or older who are buying it all.
I am not sure that's true. You could well be right, but OTOH if Friends can be stupendously popular with people who weren't born when it originally aired, why not old D&D books?

The vast majority of current D&D players are supposed to be new to 5e, so would have not have played Spelljammer the first time around. But WotC are still producing Spelljammer for 5e (some of use might grumble that it is "in name only", but even so they obviously feel that name has value to their current audience).

_
glass.

Voadam

Legend
As of today Quest for the Heartstone is now available as a reprint. Oh yeah! (cue disco Conan the Barbarian music).
With the coolest pregen PC in D&D history.
1653751414351.png

Is that Deities and Demigods with the Lovecraftian and Melnibonian mythos, or is it just Legends and Lore with the earlier cover?

I managed to acquire a copy of the Deities and demigods that has the forboden material in the mid-90s, but I'm sure it would be of interest to some people.
one problem... IIRC, for DTRPG to do those great scans, they have to essentially destroy an original copy to get them (I think one of their people said that on another website I hang out on). Destroying one of those early copies seems a bit... like heresy. :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases