D&D 5E Am I too strict?

TheSword

Legend
The rule is unfairly strict yes. Quite simply it penalizes spellbook classes over other spellcasting classes.

Aside from the money sink (and no I don’t agree that many other classes also have money sinks to be able to use their core abilities) there is the issue of balance.

When a wizard levels up they increase spells in their book to allow some kind of player control over their key class ability. If this wasn’t the case a player would be dependent on the DM providing such spells as treasure or making them available (as an NPC tutor/library). This is particularly problematic at odd levels as without the grace of the DM you can’t use your most powerful ability.

By allowing the players to learn the spells but not memorize them without paying extra resources you are effectively teasing the player. If you then put them in a situation where they haven’t got the resources to pay, then you are penalizing them against other classes.

You asked if the house rule was too harsh. Yes it is, it adds additional penalty to the class, when it doesn’t matter it’s just an annoyance, when it does matter it stops a class use it’s best ability. I’m normally firmly on the DM bench when it comes to restrictions and oversight but this is a crummy house rule.

TheSword

Legend
. But the wizard's versatility beats the crap out of the warlock and sorcerer.

The wizards versatility is supposed to be better than sorcerer and warlock. The sorcerer can cast multiple spells per round with spell points and the warlock can spam their best level spells with short rests.

The wizards versatility is what they have going for them.

Rituals were put in because detect magic, alarm etc are total utility spells that would never be taken if a wizard had to chose them as one of their half dozen spells. The ritual tag allows them to stay in the game while not being ridiculous because of the time restriction. Nobody’s game was broken because of a 10 min cast time detect magic.

S'mon

Legend
I definitely think it's highly reasonable to have the PC pay for the ink. I would be very lenient re pre-bought ink if this had not come up previously. I think 750gp for a third level spell seems a bit punitive though. I just do 50gp per spell level at all levels, but I can see a case for costs being x2 at Tier 2 (3-5) x4 at Tier 3 (6-8) and x8 at Tier 4 (9).

I definitely think it's highly reasonable to have the PC pay for the ink. I would be very lenient re pre-bought ink if this had not come up previously. I think 750gp for a third level spell seems a bit punitive though. I just do 50gp per spell level at all levels, but I can see a case for costs being x2 at Tier 2 (3-5) x4 at Tier 3 (6-8) and x8 at Tier 4 (9).
The cost for the ink stays the same. It is the right to copy a spell that costs 750 gp in the example I gave. And prebought ink is easily feasible.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I find “from the beginning of 5e” to be a weird formulation, kind of like when 5e came out 6 years ago, you called up all the players and informed them of the house rule...

I mean, if the player wasn’t playing a wizard at the beginning of the campaign, maybe he wasn’t paying attention to the wizard-specific houserules brought up at that point. It would explain why he felt blindsided by this houserule...
Lots of wizards have been played by other players. If that player has been so oblivious through the years about something that has been so constant, that's on him. Especially since every class has upkeep costs and he has to have been playing some class or another for the entire time he has played in the game.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Lots of wizards have been played by other players. If that player has been so oblivious through the years about something that has been so constant, that's on him. Especially since every class has upkeep costs and he has to have been playing some class or another for the entire time he has played in the game.

Just because other wizards were at the table didn't mean they announced their spending habits loudly and clearly for the rest of the party to follow.

Also, I just realized, the wizard likely has upkeep costs in addition to this, if Helldritch's rules are applied universally. The Fighter and other classes pay 10% of their weapon's and armor's cost every level for upkeep. If the wizard is using a dagger, that'd be included, as might their spell focus or component pouch. In addition in addition, they like other casters have expensive components.

I think I can understand the frustration of the player, even though it seems there is another wizard player who is perfectly fine with this whole set up

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Just because other wizards were at the table didn't mean they announced their spending habits loudly and clearly for the rest of the party to follow.

Also, I just realized, the wizard likely has upkeep costs in addition to this, if Helldritch's rules are applied universally. The Fighter and other classes pay 10% of their weapon's and armor's cost every level for upkeep. If the wizard is using a dagger, that'd be included, as might their spell focus or component pouch. In addition in addition, they like other casters have expensive components.

I think I can understand the frustration of the player, even though it seems there is another wizard player who is perfectly fine with this whole set up
But again, not only wizards, but every class at the table, including those the player played all had additional upkeep costs. The other wizards at the table would also have had to periodically announce that they were going to buy ink for their spells. I don't see how he could have been unaware that wizards had this additional upkeep.

I also don't see wizards using their dagger all that often, or being all that costly if they do. And most components have no cost at all. All he has to do is avoid picking the super costly ones and he's golden. Outside of the wizard ink costs anyway.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But again, not only wizards, but every class at the table, including those the player played all had additional upkeep costs. The other wizards at the table would also have had to periodically announce that they were going to buy ink for their spells. I don't see how he could have been unaware that wizards had this additional upkeep.

The announcement of upkeep costs, if they are actually announced, rather than just marked off on the personal sheet, are for the GM. Other players are probably not paying a heck of a lot of attention.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The announcement of upkeep costs, if they are actually announced, rather than just marked off on the personal sheet, are for the GM. Other players are probably not paying a heck of a lot of attention.
I don't know. In the games I've run and played in, we paid attention to what other people were doing and declaring. It seems strange to me that someone would play a collective game like D&D and then check out of the game when it's not his turn to speak.

Remove ads