D&D 5E Amazon: D&D at the start of 2018

Zardnaar

Legend
Can you math out how many books that would be overall the years

3000 a day is 1095000 a year. And while I doubt they kept the 3000 for a whole year. It's been several years now and there have been many fluxs though it never went down a lot. I remember when Zardnaar tried to claim that 5e had not sold more then a million PHBs. Well going that graph and other information that is clearly not true. It appears it's easily sold more then a million on Amazon alone.

The nubers fluctuate a lot, even a few hundred a day adds up though.

It took 1E 13 years to sell 1 million. 5E is beating that not sure if its at the million yet. Mostly Mearls has trumpeted about 5E outselling everyhting apart from B/X and 1E so I assume until he claims that it has it probably has not but IDK. When 5E is in the top 10 its often because hey are doing $20 dollar sales.

I doubt they are selling 3k a day every day for sales of 3 million + brick and mortar stores.

The nubers fluctuate a lot, even a few hundred a day adds up though.

It took 1E 13 years to sell 1 million. 5E is beating that not sure if its at the million yet. Mostly Mearls has trumpeted about 5E outselling everyhting apart from B/X and 1E so I assume until he claims that it has it probably has not but IDK. When 5E is in the top 10 its often because hey are doing $20 dollar sales.

I doubt they are selling 3k a day every day for sales of 3 million + brick and mortar stores.
3000 is at the peak of the spike. But it’s also the minimum (it’s arrived at by figuring out the rank or a book selling 1 copy and then building up). Still, during non-peaks the game might only be selling 2000 or even 1000 copies. Or less.
But that’s amazon.com only, and isn’t including game stores or box stores.
5e has undoubtedly sold well over a million copies. With 9 million people playing the game, even if only 15% of players have purchased a book that’s well over a million.

Also keep in mind that Mearls comments on how 5e outsold 3e back in August of 2016. Eighteen months ago. Even if it had just maintained its sales it would have likely passed 1e. Instead, it’s been eighteen months of the game selling better and better.

Mearls likely hasn't commented on 1e or B/X for a couple reasons.
1) He doesn’t need to. 5e is a hit. He doesn’t need to prove it to anyone.
2) He doesn’t have the numbers. Even at the time he commented how sales from 1e were “spotty”.

Zardnaar

Legend
3000 is at the peak of the spike. But it’s also the minimum (it’s arrived at by figuring out the rank or a book selling 1 copy and then building up). Still, during non-peaks the game might only be selling 2000 or even 1000 copies. Or less.
But that’s amazon.com only, and isn’t including game stores or box stores.
5e has undoubtedly sold well over a million copies. With 9 million people playing the game, even if only 15% of players have purchased a book that’s well over a million.

Also keep in mind that Mearls comments on how 5e outsold 3e back in August of 2016. Eighteen months ago. Even if it had just maintained its sales it would have likely passed 1e. Instead, it’s been eighteen months of the game selling better and better.

Mearls likely hasn't commented on 1e or B/X for a couple reasons.
1) He doesn’t need to. 5e is a hit. He doesn’t need to prove it to anyone.
2) He doesn’t have the numbers. Even at the time he commented how sales from 1e were “spotty”.

I just think people like to get carried away. If you adjust the old TSR figures for inlfation at its height D&D was twice the size of the current RPG market at its peak and for several years was around the same size (81-83 or so).

Even with a 30% drop in 84 which wrecked them (300 odd staff does that) its still bigger than the entire modern RPG market.

Thats why I am sceptical and thats before they starting spamming out stuff to pay the bills. Its plausible D&D has sold a million or 1.5 million or whatever but its not guaranteed.

Mistwell said that take away he big spikes for sales and there is probably a big drop off between the books higher up the ilists, I would assume its like movies Xanaathars was bonkers for a month or so and Mearls said it was the fastest selling D&D book *beating the PHB IDK?) but that lasted a month or so.

I highly doubt they are selling 3k books every day, hell We have 3 of the,m probably get a 4th an at $20 a pop on Amazon I would have more.

Even a few hundred sales a day with a nice big spike at the front end of an edition spread over a long enough time will get there. 100 a day is 36k a year roughly so 500 a day is 150k, 1000 a day is 365k average (more than the lifetime sales of 3.5). If they were selling that many I think the RPG market would be bigger.

Its selling well, gangbusters even but when some posters are throwing around 3 million, or taking the high point of an editions sales and extrapolating it over a longer time frame its funny. 3.0 sold 300k in the 1st month apparently, in 3 years it means they sold 10 million ZOMG lol.

I guess to hit 9 million players they assumed an attach rate or 5-1 or whatever per PHB per group. Hell our group has a PHB each + 1 extra due to cheap Amazon prices and only 1 of us (me) is a hardcore D&D collector. Since I doubt they have sold 9 million PHB they have assumed some amount of people play D&D per PHB or whatever but if our group is not that exceptional their numbers are going to be very very wrong.

Assuming Danceys figures he gave out years ago are somewhere in the ballpark (he tends to be 15%-20% higher than others). They were.

1E Million+
Red Box 1-1.5 milliojn
2E 750k
3.0 500k+
3.5 250-350k

IIRC his post is buried on the Giant in the Playground forums. The bar is not that high to beat for the WotC editions.

On the forums people claimed 4E outsold 3E, never seen any supporting evidence for it (IIRC they claimed out outsold 3.5 on presales). 3.5 was not a good selling edition, 3.0 looks low but only had slightly less than 3 year shelf life.

Don't get me wrong I think it great that D&D is doing well but with things like 3 and 9 million being thrown around context is important. Whats D&D rankings on Amazon right now and is there a sale on? Even 100 per day wil give you tens of thousands sold per year.

Hussar

Legend
Well, [MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION], I'd think that the fact that the RPG market has tripled in size in the last five or six years might have something to do with 5e. Even comparing to the height of 3e, the market is still about 50% larger.

I think it's very safe to say that 5e is doing extremely well. And the fact that it is doing this well four years after release is practically unheard of.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well, [MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION], I'd think that the fact that the RPG market has tripled in size in the last five or six years might have something to do with 5e. Even comparing to the height of 3e, the market is still about 50% larger.

I think it's very safe to say that 5e is doing extremely well. And the fact that it is doing this well four years after release is practically unheard of.

Its not unheard of it just has not been done for decades.

The RPG market did triple is size but it was at its lowest point in decades (D&D out of priint for 2 years, that did not happen when TSR went under it was OoP 6 months).
13 million to 39 million D&D probably accounts for most/all of that (26 million). That is roughly equal to 1982/ 1983 before you account for inflation. WotC has given 20 million for D&D in the golden age, I think 83 was 27 million (Gygax IIRC).

I'll put that in perspective. D&D at its height (adjusted for inflation).
20 million= 50 million.
27 million= 67 million

Other claims I have seen are 23 million, IDK if anyone actually knows 100%. But simply at its height D&D was twice as popular as 5E now and if the high figure is close almost twice as popular as the entire RPG market.

This was 1E and B/X firing on all cylinders both of which sold a million+ in roughly the same timeframe and had several adventures sell 100k+ and soe in the 200k+ range (and Keep on the Borderlands).

That is why I don;t get to carried away lol. Sure D&D might be in Stranger Things, D&D was in ET though think Star Wars massive or Guardians of the Galaxy type massive (ET was the 1st movie I remember).

5E is big but its not the height of D&D even if it technically ends up selling more than B/X or 1E (B/X and 1E combined would be really impressive though).

Zardnaar

Legend
It pretty much is.

Maybe but as I said D&D at its height was almost twice the size of the entire RPG market now when you adjust for inflation so I think its unlikely.

5E tripled the size of the RPG market (13 million to 39 maybe IDK?) and golden age D&D is double 5E and add a bit more going by what we know about the size of the RPG market and TSR's golden age. It was in ET which was huge. They had 300 staff, fleet of company cars a cartoon, a UK outlet that produced splat books and adventures. Then 1984 happened.

Depending on who you listen to there are also some more sordid stories going by some of the more grognard related forums. Gold plated taps, cocaine sort of thing.

Last edited:

D&D being big and the market being twice the size don't mean much. It's just as possible that D&D is bigger then it used to be but the overall market is smaller.

Remove ads