Amazon has been sued due to introducing Ads

Hussar

Legend
Heh. You think that your UI is bad. Try it here in Japan. Number one, all the menus and titles for the shows are in Japanese - as in full on translations with the Kanji characters and not even Katakana. It's impossible to change any of the language settings, which means that I have to use the entire thing in Japanese and I cannot even search for English language TV shows by their English titles most of the time.

My Japanese isn't horrible, but, it's nowhere near that good. The idea that you cannot change the bloody menus into English just blows my freaking mind. I like some of the Prime shows but trying to find them is freaking near impossible.

Then again that's pretty much par for the course in Japan. Just bought a brand new Toshiba TV. Great. Smart TV. 100% in Japanese with zero language support. The exact same model sold anywhere else in the world comes with language settings. Bought here in Japan? You MUST use it in Japanese and can only access the Japanese app store.

Sigh.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I haven't read this whole thread (sorry!); but I do know that I've been listening to podcasts and ads for Amazon Prime Audio comes on and touts their "Sign up for Prime, no Ads" promotion. And then Amazon's Super Fast Legal Guy finishes out the ad. He whizzes through the disclaimers, the very last one of which is "...may have ads" and I'm like :rolleyes:

The steaming services are very overrated. I basically pay to stream 2-3 shows on each other than Netflix
Paramount plus combined with showtime and I wanted to watch the woman in the wall. But since I didn’t have showtime I’d have to upgrade to both even though paramount bought showtime. Plus the menu navigation sucks!
No offense but those of us who want home entertainment are suckers. I am constantly flipping between streaming just to find something decent. Literally one of the best streaming shows was suits which was a cable series that Netflix bought the rights 2.
I agree the lawsuit will go nowhere. It’s a free service that they can cancel at anytime

tomBitonti

Adventurer
The steaming services are very overrated. I basically pay to stream 2-3 shows on each other than Netflix
Paramount plus combined with showtime and I wanted to watch the woman in the wall. But since I didn’t have showtime I’d have to upgrade to both even though paramount bought showtime. Plus the menu navigation sucks!
No offense but those of us who want home entertainment are suckers. I am constantly flipping between streaming just to find something decent. Literally one of the best streaming shows was suits which was a cable series that Netflix bought the rights 2.
I agree the lawsuit will go nowhere. It’s a free service that they can cancel at anytime

I tend to agree. Initially, there was a decent selection of things to watch. Plus, enough shows that I was willing to outright purchase that there was value. Lately, there don't seem to be very much worth watching (*), including shows that I can purchase, and more and more is on channels which require an additional fee. And, much of what is new is of lower quality. And the search function and show recommendations really seem to be fighting my actual preferences.

(*Some of this is that there is only so much high quality content, and when you have worked your way through that, the pickings are slimmer. That's not Amazon's fault.)

I should not be surprised. The Amazon strategy has always been to achieve a significant market position then use that position to make money. Unfortunately, "making money" seems unavoidably to have the effect of degrading the service.

TomB

Wow, I have my doubts about how far this will go in court.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...mazon-prime-video-ad-tier-lawsuit-1235822779/

The lawsuit alleges Amazon was being deceptive since customers now have to pay the additional $2.99 to get the same feature that was promised to them earlier. A Prime subscription costs $14.99 a month or $139 a year if paid annually.

“Based on Amazon’s advertisements, reasonable consumers who subscribed to Amazon Prime before the change reasonably expected that their Amazon Prime subscription would include ad-free streaming of movies and tv shows for the duration of the subscription,” the lawsuit said, noting that the practices were “deceptive.”

The lawsuit seeks monetary damages as well as a ban prohibiting Amazon from pursuing the “deceptive conduct, as allowed by law.”

Hope the suit wins.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No, I'm the same way. I was thinking earlier today while replying to this thread that there was a TV commercial on a few years ago that every time it came on, I just zoned out and it took about 6 months before I finally realized what the ad was for. It was so important, and I just had to have it that I forgot what the commercial was and what they were trying to sell me in about 3 seconds. Although the Flex Seal and Alien Tape commercials are funny, dudes just nonchalantly paddling around in an alligator swamp in a boat he sawed in half then fixed with a screen door and some duct tape...err Flex Seal. Good as new!!

I was thinking that this lawsuit does seem pretty ridiculous. Is someone really going to be watching Turner and Hooch on Prime when it's interrupted by a Papa John's commercial, snap because that's not what they signed up for, and then go on a crime spree? I highly doubt it and seems like there's more important things in life to worry about IMO.
Ads and commercials have no true influence over me. If I see something that's actually interesting, I'll research the product type including their competitors and if I decide to buy, go with the one I think is best. That said, years ago I was in need of an oil change and when I got home I mentioned that to my girlfriend. She immediately said, "Use X brand, it's the best out there." When I asked her why she would think that, she said in all seriousness, "I saw a commercial the other day and they said so." 🤦‍♂️

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Ads and commercials have no true influence over me. If I see something that's actually interesting, I'll research the product type including their competitors and if I decide to buy, go with the one I think is best. That said, years ago I was in need of an oil change and when I got home I mentioned that to my girlfriend. She immediately said, "Use X brand, it's the best out there." When I asked her why she would think that, she said in all seriousness, "I saw a commercial the other day and they said so." 🤦‍♂️
For some folks ads are just awareness or starting point in their research. For others, its simply the beginning and end of that search. They dont care what brand of oil as long as it works. Some folks only no "oil" type products in their life because they research everything, and some a few, others its almost anything they buy. 🤷‍♂️

Ryujin

Legend
These days commercials don't tend to be aimed at getting you to watch them and buy their product. Instead they are more geared to brand recognition and memory. It doesn't matter whether it's good or bad; just that you recognize and remember the brand. Many commercials are specifically geared towards ticking off the consumer, for this reason.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.jpg

I think back on Saturday I saw a headline calling that ad the GOAT of super bowl ads
My favorite add of this year's Superb Owl was the one with Schwarzenegger. Genuinely laugh out loud funny.

Remove ads