D&D 5E Amazon US book sales rank.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The keys book has. The others? Not so much.

Selling well, absolutely!

But they did through out the OGL debacle.

Which makes me realize that the effort to stop the bleeding at WotC wasn’t for the books sake. They were doing fine, at Amazon anyway.
Well, they got a bloody nose and decided to reverse course before bleeding more, rather than pull a Monty Python Black Knight.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Which makes me realize that the effort to stop the bleeding at WotC wasn’t for the books sake. They were doing fine, at Amazon anyway.
Yeah - it was about online presence, not book sales. The book sales numbers would be lagging indicators as more and more people found out about it but the DDB cancellations were where they realized they had a mess on their hands.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi

My local store still sold D&D books just fine BUT they also sold everything else REALLY WELL. Like sold out of Pathfinder and a few third party stuff.

teitan

Legend

Everything at WOTC is about DDB. They think that it’s all about that VTT and they are the future of gaming. Hate to break it to them but just like how action figures are starting to slow in sales, home games are becoming the norm and by the time that VTT launches they’re subscriber base isn’t going to be using their VTT at the expected levels. All their OGL redlines indicated they were working purely from DDB numbers so looking at Amazon number for what WOTC think is successful is fruitless. They just see everything as 25% sales levels and frown.

darjr

I crit!
Keys has fallen behind Dragon Heist. Note I don't have a recent capture of Dragon Heist. Note it's probably because Dragon Heist is at $15 right now!

Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 11.55.26 PM.png

Heist at 1,093 at $15!!!
Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 11.57.03 PM.png

Keys at 1,126 at $41.45
Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 11.56.53 PM.png

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Keys has fallen behind Dragon Heist. Note I don't have a recent capture of Dragon Heist. Note it's probably because Dragon Heist is at $15 right now!

View attachment 274780

Heist at 1,093

Keys at 1,126 at $41.45
View attachment 274783
Pretty good material in Dragon Heist for running an urban game, albeit not a Heist per se. Could mix well with the actual Heist elements of Golden Keys, clever price drop...

teitan

Legend
Pretty good material in Dragon Heist for running an urban game, albeit not a Heist per se. Could mix well with the actual Heist elements of Golden Keys, clever price drop...
Might have gotten a ton in from WOTC and moved them into fast moving product category. All the D&D books tend to be in that category (thus the constant big discount on $50 hc) but the last 6 months have been a lot of %50+ off prices with competition from Target and Walmart on those prices. and yeah, it's a good adventure. People who keyed in on the word Heist, expecting Ocean's 11 and trash it had the wrong expectation.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Might have gotten a ton in from WOTC and moved them into fast moving product category. All the D&D books tend to be in that category (thus the constant big discount on $50 hc) but the last 6 months have been a lot of %50+ off prices with competition from Target and Walmart on those prices. and yeah, it's a good adventure. People who keyed in on the word Heist, expecting Ocean's 11 and trash it had the wrong expectation.
Bit of a marketing fail, really.

teitan

Legend
Bit of a marketing fail, really.
Yeah some of that. It has a heist, just not the central plot element really, well, it is but it's not the rapid fire type of heist that really became popular in the 70s and defined it. It's more like a bank robbery late in the game. Up to then it's a pretty standard adventure with intriguing villains and set up carrying into the final bits and links to Dungeon of the Mad Mage which... is a great book but a tool kit for a cool dungeon to sprinkle into a campaign.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases