Amazon's LotR show - first look

CapnZapp

Legend
Oh, trust me I'm going to. I'd rather chew glass than watch this show to be honest. I have absolutely zero interest in it. Fandom has murdered any joy I used to take in Tolkien. Now, it's just something to be ignored. I managed to completely ignore A Song of Fire and Ice for exactly the same reason that this completely turns me off - the fandom. Listening to endless kvetching about how they did this or that wrong has pretty much soured me on virtually any large production like this. You fans have won. You can have it. Me, I'll be off over here enjoying something else where I don't have to wade through endless poison that makes me want to wash my eyes out with bleach every time it gets talked about.

It's a shame really. I truly loved Tolkien back in the day. But, now? After watching trufans take steaming dumps over every other mainstream property? No thanks. I'll pass.
I honestly believe you need to watch more and read less.

This thread for example.

Cheers

I have to admit, after watching the s***show that has been Star Wars for the past ten years, never minding other properties, I am nowhere near that optimistic. One can always hope though.
I didn't say I was optimistic, I said it would be judged on merit, not Tolkien.

And it's only in the movies that Star Wars has sucked, on TV it's been better than ever.

Ryujin

Legend
Whilst there will no doubt be hardcore fans who will complain bitterly about it no matter how it is implemented, the vast majority of the target audience have never read Fellowship, never mind Silmarillion, and will judge the show simply on face value: is it entertaining?
I would think that even among the people who have read "The Hobbit", the trilogy, and "The Silmarillion" (raises hand), a well written and produced show will find favour. There are and will always be those who will complain loudly about the colour of Galadriel's dress and the lack of a certain singing demigod, however, well crafted entertainment, with thought given to the source, is generally well received.

CapnZapp

Legend
however, well crafted entertainment, with thought given to the source, is generally well received.
Absolutely.

However, I think the Star Wars comparison is meant to evoke far more serious issues than the color of Galadriel's dress. Like the entirety of the Hobbits movies...

If the TV show is more like the LOTR movies, except Galadriel is wearing her dress on backwards, I absolutely agree Amazon will be fine.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Whilst there will no doubt be hardcore fans who will complain bitterly about it no matter how it is implemented, the vast majority of the target audience have never read Fellowship, never mind Silmarillion, and will judge the show simply on face value: is it entertaining?

I will rate it on the only criterion that matters:

What actors do they cast to play the Two Trees?

I am pulling for Peter Weller for at least one (and maybe both?). That man can underplay any role, and he was born to play a tree.

Ryujin

Legend
Absolutely.

However, I think the Star Wars comparison is meant to evoke far more serious issues than the color of Galadriel's dress. Like the entirety of the Hobbits movies...

If the TV show is more like the LOTR movies, except Galadriel is wearing her dress on backwards, I absolutely agree Amazon will be fine.
I see your point. With the Hobbit movies there were larger issues. Dragging a nice, little story out with thrown together content. Being able to see seams in costumes and makeup. Filming for high definition using GoPro cameras...

Remove ads