• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ampersand: Sneak Attack

Voss said:
Don't really like the lack of additional skills based on intelligence. It makes me wonder what INT is for. CON and DEX certainly have uses for everyone... And there don't seem to be any int based skills for the rogue. Guess what there dump stat is? Don't much care for that flavor either. While its fine to have rogues that aren't geniuses, I don't like they get absolutely *nothing* for being intelligent.

So apart from the devs intruding overmuch on character creation... I think I largely like the mechanics. I am intrigued by the possibility (with class training) of doing a Vlad Taltos type character, and I don't even think I have to ignore anything to do it. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to do a club wielding street thug with no training in stealth or locks & traps, and that does bother me. Especially with brutality being a class subrole...

Well, there are a couple of things we aren't seeing:

1.) We don't know what the additional training feats look like. I'm guessing that we might see something like Feat - Additional Training - if taken at first level gain 1+INT modifier additional skills. Minimum of 1 additional skill.

2.) We also aren't seeing how many different sources there are for weapon proficiencies. So far we know that you can get them from your Class - this write up - and your Race - Elf write up. But we haven't seen what the training feats for weapons and armor look like and don't know if there is a really basic weapons category for stuff like clubs and spears. Or even what the rules for not being proficient are. Proficiency could be more about leveraging bonuses then avoiding penalties.

3.) To be fair in 3E a thug-thief without search would still have training in traps*. And it might be that thief simply isn't the best choice for Rocky and other Thug enforcer types.

* - Holy Bahamut on a Stick! There's no special thief anti-trap feature! Just the everlovin Thievery skill. I assume no one else** gets that as a class skill, yet, but still Wowser!

** - Unless the Warlock, or certain Warlock builds***, does, that'd be sweet.

*** - Which by the Way the Rogue Tactics option probably does a lot to explain how Warlock Vows function.

Voss said:
@Clevernickname- shifting is essentially movement that doesn't provoke an attack. It isn't limited to a 5' step (or one square, to use the new lingo :( ) But PCs will default to one square for shift movement. Powers, effects, and some monsters will allow for shifting different distances.

Whereas presumably "sliding" (as in Positioning Strike and the pit fiend's exploding-minion ability) *does* provoke attacks.

So I see rogues doing damage while simultaneously sliding a foe right into their friendly neighborhood Defender. He shoots, he scores! :)

MaelStorm said:
Wow this is so clean cut, no place for misrepresenting the rules.
To an extent, we still are guessing what some of the meanings are, even if we are pretty sure (e.g. shift)

But you could almost stat yourself out a 1st level elf rogue, if you fancy. Use a 25 (or, I reckon in going with the heroic 4E, 28 point buy) and '&' and off you go! Any takers...?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
ainatan said:
So crimson edge is something like an auto-hit? If I put some deadly poison on my light blade and use this power....

I am not sure if half-damage on a miss will carry with it associated damage or effects from other things like poison. Now that hit point damage represents more than just physical damage, a miss causing half damage is probably more a representation of a loss of non-physical hit points like fatigue or luck.

Khuxan

First Post
CleverNickName said:
So, shifting is a five-foot step, except when it isn't? :\ Sounds like the developers are trying to use clever vocabulary to work around opportunity attacks.

In 3.5, you could 5-foot step to avoid opportunity attacks. But what if I wanted to make a monster that could 10-foot step? I'd have to say, "This monster can move 10 feet with a 5-foot step". Now I don't have to say that, I just have to say "This monster can shift 2 squares". Much simpler, much easier.

I think I agree I would've preferred throwing knives to shurikens.
Not getting Int to skills scares me, but there's almost certainly something we're missing.
I wanted the end of class skills, which I'm afraid isn't happening.
It surprises me that there's a level 2 power, since I'd assumed they'd only be available at odd levels.

Khuxan said:
It surprises me that there's a level 2 power, since I'd assumed they'd only be available at odd levels.

I'm guessing that the numbers refer to the tiers of powers not the character level, though the tier are probably tied to character level.

Of course, it could just be that you get utility powers are even levels and attack powers at odd levels.

----ooooo, beaten to the punch.

shilsen

Adventurer
Mouseferatu said:
FIFY. :D

(And hey, you should feel honored. That's my very first use of "FIFY" ever. And possibly my last. ;))
I am honored. The attention of the vampire mouse is beyond all reward :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads