An actual Chick tract was left on my door

I also haven't seen them in ages. They used to show up all over the place - you'd see them by pay phones, at bus stops and stations, in communal areas on college campuses.

I remember back in the mid-90s, going to a local goth/alternative clothing shop. There was someone outside passing Chick Tracts to everyone going in. I mentioned it to the lady working and she chased him off right quick. Another time I was going into my dorm building and someone tried to hand me one. I told him "no thank you, I'm Jewish." He replied with "oh, I have a special one for you." That was when I learned about "Where's Rabbi Waxman?" Oh, does that one get my blood boiling.

Undrave

Legend
I've found this exact same tract, TWICE, in the same area of town, tied to the railing of an outdoor stairway with an elastic! One of which was this year.

I just came across my first one ever at Halloween. Someone handed it to my kids while trick-or-treating instead of candy.

Attachments

• 86CC64D7-3CC3-4B33-BEFF-59D2EA6A95E8.jpeg
    86CC64D7-3CC3-4B33-BEFF-59D2EA6A95E8.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 94
  • E1E2E0A6-58FD-4EFA-9DD2-3FEA72E8715D.jpeg
    E1E2E0A6-58FD-4EFA-9DD2-3FEA72E8715D.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 84
  • 492EE5C9-DA6D-484A-98C4-3A5CDF2C946A.jpeg
    492EE5C9-DA6D-484A-98C4-3A5CDF2C946A.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 94
  • 934C784A-C709-4E5E-9F0F-1E08E2FE08CD.jpeg
    934C784A-C709-4E5E-9F0F-1E08E2FE08CD.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 94
  • E72B319D-9C14-4412-9746-EF231A34A557.jpeg
    E72B319D-9C14-4412-9746-EF231A34A557.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 79

Kannik

Hero
Wow, I'm hoping that whoever gave them to you was only thinking about how you'd appreciate that bit of nostalgia. If not...

Oh I really dig that idea!

"Why are we driving out to this neighborhood?"

"Well, there's someone there who had to deal with the fallout of these things back in the day. But here's the thing: they've never actually seen one! So let's go leave one on their door, I think they'll get a kick out of it..."

"Oh, that's real nice of us!"

:p :p ;)

That said, the other thing I want to say is this- these are easy to mock, and to parody. But ... they also caused a lot of damage. One thing I've become far too aware of is that things that I think are absolutely absurd, things that I think no rational person could believe, things that I think are such obvious lies no one could believe them (or could easily be checked by even a cursory google search) ... have an amazing power over people.

I'm more careful about what I think is amusing than I used to be.

For sure; to be clear as amused as I am about finally seeing one in the flesh I do fully get the negative impact it had. It was light for me and for that I am fortunate, but for many others I know it was much darker and the resurgence of Satanic Panic is continuing to create deleterious outcomes.

I've found this exact same tract, TWICE, in the same area of town, tied to the railing of an outdoor stairway with an elastic! One of which was this year.

I find that also quite amusing. What is that stairway railing doing during the night? Does it have a secret life that someone is trying to change? What is it up to when no one is looking? ;)

I just came across my first one ever at Halloween. Someone handed it to my kids while trick-or-treating instead of candy.

Now this one I am not amused with. :/

Helpful NPC Thom

Adventurer
I too have witnessed the rare and wondrous Chick Tract in real life.

Chick Tract
Wondrous item, uncommon
This small pamphlet is filled with goofy artwork and religious scripture. Upon reading it, the viewer must make a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or believe that niche games that involve dice and funny accents induct the players into a demonic cult. A failed saving throw likewise compels the reader to pass the item to another person who has not yet read it.

Remove ads