An actual Chick tract was left on my door

Is there anyone Jack Chick didn't hate?
He was pretty tight with william "bill" schnoebelen, former 36th level mason-wiccan-high-priest-werewolf-vampire. You wanna know why the magickal rituals in the ad&d PHB were so accurate? They consulted mr. Schnoebelen, that's why. He also authored this amazing article:

He hated them, and then shifted a bit to despising the church but pitying lay Catholics as unwitting servants of evil. So yeah, they were definitely aimed at the populace. As I recall it was his repeated attacks on Catholicism that wound up losing his tracts distribution in a lot of Christian book stores.

I believe the publishing company has stopped printing some of his weirder ones since his death, but The Death Cookie remains!

according to the Wikipedia, there were about 250 tracts in all, 100 of which remain in print. You can get OOP tracts with a minimum order of 10, 000 units. Seems tempting, with the xmas season coming up...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
He was pretty tight with william "bill" schnoebelen, former 36th level mason-wiccan-high-priest-werewolf-vampire. You wanna know why the magickal rituals in the ad&d PHB were so accurate? They consulted mr. Schnoebelen, that's why. He also authored this amazing article:

Being a "former *" is a pretty steady grift in certain circles.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Woooooow, so many layers:

"However, let us look at the broader issue for a moment. Perhaps D&D has gotten more politically correct over the years. No more naked girls strapped to demonic altars, etc. Perhaps Hitler and rape are no longer praised. That is good. But it still does not address the fundamental problem of D&D and its ilk."

"This problem is that the cosmology of D&D is fundamentally anti-Biblical. Many of the defenders of D&D make the common mistake of assuming that because there are roles in the game for "clerics," this makes the game alright. They make this mistake because they equate Roman Catholicism and its robed clerics for Christians. They do not understand that one can be a cleric (Muslim, Buddhist, etc.) and not be a Christian."

The-Simpsons-7x02-Radioactive-Man.jpg

I was thinking and.... why now again? I guess because D&D is now in its best moment of popularity, but it is relatively an easy prey. D&D doesn't promote the esoterism, but it cause the opposite effect, because the players are used to spells as fireball and lighting bolt then the ocultism from the real life is like classic mythology through their eyes. And there are others affairs before D&D, and not only TTRPGs for mature audence as World of Darkness or Kult: Lost Divinity but comics, videogames, movies, streaming service plataforms, novels. Why D&D and not Warcraft, or Blizzard's Diablo? Or Buffy Vampire Slayer, or the DaVinci Code, the Golden Compass. Who is going to become neopagan by fault of the movies of Thor or Wonderwoman? Who wants to learn History thanks the time-travelers from the action-live serie "Legends of Tomorrow"?

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I was thinking and.... why now again? I guess because D&D is now in its best moment of popularity, but it is relatively an easy prey. D&D doesn't promote the esoterism, but it cause the opposite effect, because the players are used to spells as fireball and lighting bolt then the ocultism from the real life is like classic mythology through their eyes. And there are others affairs before D&D, and not only TTRPGs for mature audence as World of Darkness or Kult: Lost Divinity but comics, videogames, movies, streaming service plataforms, novels. Why D&D and not Warcraft, or Blizzard's Diablo? Or Buffy Vampire Slayer, or the DaVinci Code, the Golden Compass. Who is going to become neopagan by fault of the movies of Thor or Wonderwoman? Who wants to learn History thanks the time-travelers from the action-live serie "Legends of Tomorrow"?
Are (EDIT: conservative evangelical) Christians really going after D&D right now? I mean, that was certainly a thing in the 80s--that's why they took out the half-orcs and assassins--but I get the sense they've got different targets.

I suspect a lot of stuff like World of Darkness and Kult came out in the 90s because TSR sanding off their rough edges left a market opening for teenagers who wanted to be edgy.

BTW, this website appears to be by a D&D fan who is also a conservative Christian, in case anyone's interested. He had some neat ideas like using 'prayer fellowships' instead of alignments and gods for Christian clerics, if you want to play the game with conservative friends.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Are Christians really going after D&D right now? I mean, that was certainly a thing in the 80s--that's why they took out the half-orcs and assassins--but I get the sense they've got different targets.

I suspect a lot of stuff like World of Darkness and Kult came out in the 90s because TSR sanding off their rough edges left a market opening for teenagers who wanted to be edgy.

BTW, this website appears to be by a D&D fan who is also a conservative Christian, in case anyone's interested. He had some neat ideas like using 'prayer fellowships' instead of alignments and gods for Christian clerics, if you want to play the game with conservative friends.
My personal experience is that many, if not most, younger Catholic priests have had extensive positive experience with D&D. The literally most staunchly "conservative" priest that I know (former Marine, Latin Mass advocate, etc.) also has the largest AD&D collection I've personally ever seen. The latest D&D book was written by a Christian cleric, for that matter.

So "Christians" as such aren't in conflict with D&D, certain subcultures notwithstanding.

Remove ads