D&D 5E An "adventuring day" versus a day in the life of an adventurer

Oofta

Legend
I'm about to blaspheme, but I didn't like The Witcher 3. I just couldn't get into it.

It's okay, first time I tried it (I got it on sale) I couldn't get into it either. But then I picked it again and at last count I've spent 138 hour playing. :eek:

What I want to reassure some DM's is that these little things that seem inconsequential are actually very meaningful in a different way. Think about in real life, you go to school, attend college, get a job, accomplish things on your bucket list, then die. That's your story quest but it's the other, optional things that can make things so much more enjoyable which gets skipped in a speedrun. Like, the wife sidequest and the friendship drops you get along the way make a gloomy and boring life so much more exciting.

Likewise, it's the wand of magic missile that we randomly obtained that adds a little something to the adventure. The random goblin who, knowing he's out-matched, begs the party to spare him and guide them through the dungeon only to flee when they need him most. Sure, you can write those in but it loses the charm of feeling like you went out of the way and got rewarded.

Fair enough. Every DM has to find their voice and what works for them and their group.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think there's a sort of disconnect between what makes travel interesting in that, I don't need travel to be dangerous to be interesting, I just want it to be interesting. Think Skyrim or BOTW. You aren't necessarily in danger of something that could kill you if you're not careful when you tread off the roads, you're instead rewarded for going off and finding new things. That's what I want. Maybe a haul of 250gp when I investigate a cart, maybe a goblin attack instead, or maybe the cart was an illusion from the BBEG. None of these are particularly TPK inducing but it gave me a choice and a consequence that was either good or bad.

That's why I think getting cargo dropped is boring. It works in the same way that saying "After a long speech, you've convinced the duke of you're plight." And it's as valid but we can agree that someone roleplay-centered would be disappointed. Likewise, I'm exploration-centered which is rare but I get disappointed when the DM says "You pass an old ruin with the mark of the bandits while completing your 2 week journey, now you're at their camp what do you do?"

Of course, read the room about this stuff but even modules get it right most of the time. Think about the "random" trap or treasure in a wilderness setting from a module, it adds depth and breaths new life into the wilderness.

Like I said, make it like a dungeon crawl. Don't just go "You eventually get to the end of the dungeon, roll initiative for the boss." I know there's the difference in that the multiple encounters in-between shouldn't have long rests in-between but unless you make the dungeon with that problem in mind, they can do that by leaving the entrance and coming back and letting the forces dwindle. (Doesn't work with time-crunch or fleeing/reinforcement receiving enemies but still.)

I don't know, I guess I'm just disappointed that the "Skip travel" button is a default on so many DM's inner motherboard.
I feel you (although personally I don’t find travel in Skyrim very interesting.) Though I think this is a different, but related issue to what I was talking about. D&D claims that exploration is one of its three core pillars, but it doesn’t usually deliver on that very well. Travel can be made more challenging of course, but even that isn’t really exploration, in my opinion. It’s just more obstacles that are part of the adventure. The feeling of exploration comes from veering off-task to satisfy one’s curiosity about something unrelated. When you’re on your way to do one thing, but something else catches your eye. And it’s very difficult to intentionally incorporate into D&D, because exploration is by definition unfocused. You’re following your whim instead of any particular goal.

I think that one of the advantages of location-based play is that it facilitates this kind of exploration better than event-based play does. But even there it can be a challenge.

Charlaquin

It's okay, first time I tried it (I got it on sale) I couldn't get into it either. But then I picked it again and at last count I've spent 138 hour playing. :eek:
This seems to be a pretty common experience, enough so that I plan to give it another try... After I’ve finished my Dragon Age replay 😅

Oofta

Legend
This seems to be a pretty common experience, enough so that I plan to give it another try... After I’ve finished my Dragon Age replay 😅

I really enjoyed the first Dragon Age game, kind of liked the second, not sure if I ever got around to finishing the third.

Maybe someday when they come out with the Dragon Age series or the "remastered" version. :p

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I feel you (although personally I don’t find travel in Skyrim very interesting.) Though I think this is a different, but related issue to what I was talking about. D&D claims that exploration is one of its three core pillars, but it doesn’t usually deliver on that very well. Travel can be made more challenging of course, but even that isn’t really exploration, in my opinion. It’s just more obstacles that are part of the adventure. The feeling of exploration comes from veering off-task to satisfy one’s curiosity about something unrelated. When you’re on your way to do one thing, but something else catches your eye. And it’s very difficult to intentionally incorporate into D&D, because exploration is by definition unfocused. You’re following your whim instead of any particular goal.

I think that one of the advantages of location-based play is that it facilitates this kind of exploration better than event-based play does. But even there it can be a challenge.
I'm hoping running wilderness as a dungeon helps. Like, crawling in a dungeon is mindless wandering but refined in an area. Why not make a map of the area where the BBEG's lair is, then make roads like hallways in a dungeon with each room as a clearing. Dress the dungeon with relevant and meaningful stuff and have them explore like that? Then they get into the dungeon and dungeon crawl again but on a smaller scale. Don't get me wrong, skipping the return trip isn't bothersome at all but it's a real pet peeve of mine. I guess it's just down to different strokes for different folks

I think the 5e designers were experienced enough that they probably assumed that most games aren't going to be a breakneck pace through 6-8 encounters most sessions.
You would think.

Unfortunately, due to the default regeneration rules, a day where you only have one encounter is basically irrelevant. You're free to play it out, of course, but the PCs are effectively immortal during this time. While you might try to include other consequences, it's a significant restriction; especially given that the PCs always have the option of elevating the stakes back up to combat.

Oofta

Legend
You would think.

Unfortunately, due to the default regeneration rules, a day where you only have one encounter is basically irrelevant. You're free to play it out, of course, but the PCs are effectively immortal during this time. While you might try to include other consequences, it's a significant restriction; especially given that the PCs always have the option of elevating the stakes back up to combat.
LOL, I'll have to remember that. Especially since the last time I did a blow-out one encounter session (they were 15th-ish level) I almost had a TPK.

Charlaquin

I really enjoyed the first Dragon Age game, kind of liked the second, not sure if I ever got around to finishing the third.
The first one is a top-notch crpg. The second was rushed and it shows, but they absolutely nailed the characters and relationships, which is the most important part to me. The third is a mixed bag, but I love it warts and all. I’m really worried that the live service mania is going to ruin the fourth.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I'm hoping running wilderness as a dungeon helps. Like, crawling in a dungeon is mindless wandering but refined in an area. Why not make a map of the area where the BBEG's lair is, then make roads like hallways in a dungeon with each room as a clearing. Dress the dungeon with relevant and meaningful stuff and have them explore like that? Then they get into the dungeon and dungeon crawl again but on a smaller scale. Don't get me wrong, skipping the return trip isn't bothersome at all but it's a real pet peeve of mine. I guess it's just down to different strokes for different folks
Sounds like you read this? Every Adventure’s a Dungeon

Remove ads