D&D 5E An Idea for D&D Next adventures (or how to make "edition inclusivity" a reality)

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I like the sidebar idea but thought that might get a bit messy, especially if we're talking about multiple editions. I think 4th, 3.5, and 1st at the minimum, but BECMI and OD&D would be nice as well.

This is (or could be) true. Trying to covert for all editions might not be the best option. My thinking is sidebars for other editions (per se) would not work...but sidebars for "if you're using the "Tactical/Advanced Combat Module" [whatever that will entail], do this...if you're using the "Expanded Skill Set" module, do this."

Obviously...or obvious to me anyway lol...every printed module should/would be written with either 1)"simple/basic Core 5e" or 2) a default set of "Core + XYZ Options" included in the adventure's writing. And make that clear on the cover for people that want or already use those assumptions/modules!

Then the sidebars are "do ABC to add in L optional rules and/or do 123 to strip out the adventure's default optional rules for a more simple/basic mode of play."

It could certainly get messy! I do not envy the adventure module writer/editors one bit! lol. But it could certainly be done.

I don't see a reason that a 5e adventure module should have to...nor want to...include conversion [to other editions] info.

As triqui says above, you want people playing (and buying) 5e! Buying 5e to play in/with "this or that preference style" [i.e. optional rules' modules]? Yes. Buying 5e to make into a 4e or 3e style gaming experience? Yes. Buying 5e to make into a 4 or 3 or 1e game? No.

Just my thoughts. I could be totally mistaken. But, again, I do not want internet access, pdfs, and/or D&D Insider subscriptions necessary to play 5e.

--SD

Stormonu

Legend
For the most part, it's Monsters/NPCs that cause the most issues between editions.

If monsters were supplied in a separate packet from the adventure it would:

#1 : Allow you to have the adventure and monster stats open and available side by side
#2 : Produce separate sections or entire packets with edition-statted versions.

So for example, the main module might note:

Room 32: The Rat Warren
"The precision quarried stones that line the hall quickly give away into what appears to be a rough cavern. Your vision of the immense room is obscured by several stalactites and stalagmites, each still slick with dripping lime. There is the faint echo of water dripping in a pool, somewhere out of sight in the right-hand side of the room. It is then you hear the faint scurrying and click of claws on stone from within the shadows of the room"

Inhabitants: 3 infected wererats; these wererats have been driven to distraction by the mind-eater disease and will attack anyone they detect in a feeble attempt to sate their pain. The wererats will not retreat or surrender, but if they can be cured will gratefully relinquish their treasure to the PCs

Hazard: Contaminated pool (Disease: Mind-Eater)

Treasure: 3rd-level treasure scattered in the room's pool.

-----
The "Monster book" would then contain the edition-specific material for the diseased wererats and the effects of the contaminated pool.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
How about this: For every D&D Next adventure or product with a new creature or magic item of any kind, there is an online document that converts it to prior editions of D&D - or at least 4th, 3.5, 1st, BECMI, and OD&D. Anyone who purchases the product gets a passcode to access the conversion material (which would also be accessible to D&D Insiders).

Too much work? Maybe, but I think it would be worth it in terms of community health and may even balance out financially through driving sales of products (and Insider accounts) to players of other editions.

What do you think? Any possibility of this?
> assuming WotC will write good adventures

There will be a general conversion guide, and it should work backwards and forwards. I don't see any real reason to do it for every new monster and magic item.

LostSoul

Adventurer
What do you think? Any possibility of this?

Yeah, it's possible. The adventure locales in Vornheim, for instance, have monster stats that will work with any edition. The 4E conversion of all monsters is on a single page.

The bigger issue is playstyle and currency (risk vs. loot, for example). Adventure paths and sandboxes don't fit together that well. But they can; I can tell you how to run 4E (an adventure path system) as a sandbox. (Simply put: tie encounter levels and treasure parcels to the setting instead of party level.)

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Speaking honestly, it's a lot harder than you might think.

First of all, you need very capable and insightful people literate and proficient in the system to be converted too. That costs money.

Second, games like languages don't translate perfectly. There are many little systems in AD&D and Cyclopedia that are just not existent in 3rd and 4th editions and vice versa. An adventure that includes every element in D&D Next may have no corollary in other systems. In return some of what could be there may be missing in the adventure design because no such rules exist for it and so rules go unused.

Lastly, on top of the above, many of the previous game designs were created under very diverse game play philosophies. Particular adventure designs may look or play just awful according to one game system and be awesome when played under another. It isn't the adventure or adventure designers fault, but the basic premises of the gameplay shift by game, which makes conversion moot in some cases.

Remove ads