• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An idea to make the game feel lighter

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think that looking at your character sheet as what your character can do is too limiting.

Whether you think it is too limiting or not isn't really the functional bit. Human cognition tends to work that way, regardless (at least, as I understand it). Any plan that ignores the basics of how people act is likely to make things worse, rather than better.

Li Shenron

Legend
But looking up the value is not the only reason to have the skills listed on the sheet.

The things listed on the character sheet - skills, weapon stats, list of spells and powers, and so on - taken collectively give you a first approximation of what your character can attempt to do. If you leave things off the sheet, players will tend to forget those things are options. This is even more important in 5e, in that bounded accuracy means that non-proficient characters may well still have a chance.

Basically, in cutting down the sheet, you risk creating an "out of sight, out of mind" state in the players. Maybe it'll feel lighter, but it may also feel more *restricting*, as they will tend to feel their list of options is constrained.

Exactly!! This is the same thought I had, but actually it only made me think more...

On one hand 5e is supposed to encourage the "you can always try" philosophy. Now if you list down 18 skills, are we sure we're encouraging that philosophy, or is there a risk of having the opposite effects? What prevails between "oh look there's a history/persuasion/insight skill, maybe I can try that" and "but there isn't a geography/creature lore/use rope skill, so this cannot be done"? I think probably the first will be more common, but still... a player who has been told they can try anything, knows they can try anything, whether it's listed on her sheet or not.

Then on the other hand, personally I am not even a fan of the "you can always try" philosophy.
It sounds great when everyone must make the same check, so this philosophy translates into "everybody can jump over the chasm / swim out of this waters / sneak past the guards", instead of having a system where untrained characters can't proceed at all.
It also sounds good when someone has a creative idea that isn't covered by the rules, but that's when it's not going to be written on the character sheet anyway.
And finally it is useful when nobody is good at something, so someone has to try it anyway.

Unfortunately, it's not so great when "you can always try" leads into situations where the expert has failed, so everybody else in the party realizes that there is no cost in trying... so they all try the same, which is not the most creative solution, and furthermore almost certainly someone will succeed (if you set the DC higher to avoid the latter, then you risk the expert fail more often). And even the useful case when nobody is good but all of you can try has a similar drawback: that everybody tries the most obvious solution instead of thinking of creative alternatives.

I'm going too far off-topic here, but it was just to say that personally I actually like that "out of sight, out of mind" effect i.e. not having suggestions of skills for everyone, but only those who are supposed to be leaders in those.

edit: Notice that something vaguely similar actually already happens... anyone can use any weapon, so why don't we list every possible weapon on a character's sheet? Of course the real reason is because you only list the weapons you have. Still, when you find weapons as loot you don't spend time calculating all your bonuses just because you might use those weapons. You do that only for occasional weapons you intend to keep. For the others you don't bother, not until something happens that makes you use them. In a sense, this is similar to what I have in mind: to bother when I need to roll, not before. Or to bother only about stuff I use regularly at least.

(This topic is too complex to talk about it here, because skills cover very different things, some of which like Perception are really harmless even if everyone can try, but if everyone can try lockpicking then it might create an issue where being the lockpicking expect doesn't feel rewarding).

However, I think for most people, having to do that math in their head, regardless of how easy the actual math is, would be more difficult than having it done beforehand in front of them.

Well sure, if someone's bothered by math on-the-fly, then they should use a more traditional ready-to-use character sheet.

Tho I am still not sure... you see, if you fill a complete traditional character sheet, you are going to have to do the same calculation 18 times for skills, 6 times for saving throws, a bunch of times for weapons, and a few more times perhaps. Thank God you don't really need to update everything every single time you level up like in 3e, but still sometimes you do. Then it depends how often you need to make rolls... definitely more than 30 rolls before levelling up, sure.

There's a trade-off there however, and what I want to find out, is what changes in feel when using this alternative. For example, could it be better for a beginner to very quickly fill a "light" character sheet and start playing immediately, and delay calculations until she actually needs to make the rolls? Some beginners might be bored already if it takes too long to fill dozens of stats, or intimidated by a character description that has lots of stuff and dozens of numbers.

I could, but I'd probably forget if a weapon did 1d6 or 1d8 base damage, and that would mean I'd have to look it up, which means cracking open the book, which takes up time I'd rather spend on roleplaying.

Weapon damage definitely needs to be written on the sheet, because each weapon has its own. I was instead referring to checks (including weapon attacks), on the ground that so many of them effectively have the same total bonus, since in 5e it's almost always the sum of an ability modifier and your (unique) proficiency bonus.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
By the way, why are we in House Rules now? This is not about rules changes, it's just a general discussion about how to arrange the game in 5e.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Pre-calculations don't speed up the game much anymore in 5e, compared to previous editions. If you precalculate everything, you're spending time precalculating a lot of stuff you'll never use, which will clutter your character sheet. You may sometime waste more time wading throught a cluttered character sheet, than the time to need to add 2 small numbers together. You may forget you have something useful on that character sheet, if it's crowded with too much stuff. And if you level up often, you'll have to review all precalculations more often. And also, skipping pre-calculations can perhaps halve the time it takes to create a new character.

Of course I'm not saying everybody should follow this approach. Some people will still feel "safer" with precalculations, thinking that calculating in real time is prone to errors (but OTOH, an error in precalculations is instead prone to stay there a long time...). Or you may just love to have a character sheet full of stuff. I'm just saying that this could be something interesting to think about and try sometimes :)
In my experience, it doesn't really work.

For an experienced player, it means you have to look at three places on the sheet (your ability mod, proficiencies, and proficiency bonus), and add two numbers together. That takes away a few seconds every time you roll, and it would be a lot more convenient to just have the total right there on the sheet.

For a new player, it means the experienced players have to keep explaining the math to you, every time you do anything. It would be a lot more convenient to just have the total right there on the sheet.

The most important thing about a character sheet (like any game accessory) is that it's convenient.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
I'll be interested to see if the DMG follows up on the idea they mentioned a while back for a skill-less system: just make, for example, fighters proficient in ALL strength and constitution checks, saves and attacks, and nothing else. That eliminates some bookkeeping and the sometimes confusing distinction between skills, saving throws, and raw ability checks.

You'd have to fiddle with things a bit if you went beyond the basic classes - you'd want paladins to be proficient in strength attacks, for example - but it might work.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
For an experienced player, it means you have to look at three places on the sheet (your ability mod, proficiencies, and proficiency bonus), and add two numbers together. That takes away a few seconds every time you roll, and it would be a lot more convenient to just have the total right there on the sheet.

For a new player, it means the experienced players have to keep explaining the math to you, every time you do anything. It would be a lot more convenient to just have the total right there on the sheet.

The most important thing about a character sheet (like any game accessory) is that it's convenient.

Convenient implies a certain ease of use, and which looks easier to use:

This D&D 5e sheet, or

This streamlined sheet....

...which isn't for D&D, but is about as simple as what volanin or Sadrik were proposing?

Honestly, if experienced or new players have trouble remembering "modifier plus proficiency bonus," then it's possible they should be sticking to board games or video games. Yes, it's a little more math if you haven't written it out on your sheet, but 5e promises to make the math easier than before, anyway.

Regardless of what powers and skills should or should not be on a character sheet, one thing should definitely come first (as indicated at the second link above): your inspiration. Whether that's a drawing, character concept, background, or just a class (with a cool name?), if the first thing you see on your sheet is what makes you want to play the character, you'll get ideas first, and restrictions later.

Sadrik

First Post
Proficiency bonus +3

18 STR +4, Save*, Athletics
18 DEX +4, Save, Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand, Stealth
18 CON +4, Save
18 INT +4, Save*, Arcana*, History*, Investigation*, Nature, Religion
18 WIS +4, Save, Animal Handling, Insight, Medicine, Perception* (17), Survival
18 CHA +4, Save, Deception, Intimidation, Performance, Persuasion*

Tools: long list with asterisks

Proficiency bonus +3

18 STR +4, Save
18 DEX +4
18 CON +4
18 INT +4, Save, Arcana, History, Investigation
18 WIS +4, Perception (17)
18 CHA +4, Persuasion

Tools: only those the character is trained with
I am swayed, I think the second method is superior. I think getting the players to think in less terms of "what can do?" and more in terms of "Let me try this".

An aside: The math is flatter and should allow players to attempt things even though they are not maxed out in it. Upper level 3e is a huge drag with the skill system, dont even try unless maxed out. Meaning basic role playing functions could not happen. Module calls for a diplomacy check? Oops not really though... It calls for if you have a PC maxed out in diplomacy he can attempt to make this check, everyone else auto-fails.​

So listing less is more.

Li Shenron

Legend
In my experience, it doesn't really work.

Have you tried it in 5e, or only in previous editions?

My starting point is that in 3e it was hardly possible to have this approach with the character sheet.

That's not how I feel. As a (moderately) experienced player myself, I think that I won't need to look at three places.

I would be using the same proficiency bonus all the time for every trained check/save/attack for many gaming sessions before the bonus changes, I'll practically never really need to look it up. Everybody already knows it's +2 if you start at 1st level, for instance. Almost every character has 2 saving throws proficiencies, so even that will quickly stick to my mind, no need to look them up every time. I would have 4-5 skill proficiencies, or twice as many if playing a Rogue: this is going to be the hardest case, but it doesn't sound that hard.

Then my whole point is, those "few seconds" may turn up to be less than the few seconds needed to wade through a cluttered character sheet with lots of numbers. It depends, who knows... maybe it'll be quicker if I have a short list of 4 skills which stands out very visibly in an almost-empty character sheet, rather than a list of 18 skills.

The trade-off is that with the traditional character sheet, the new player is going to spend half an hour filling it up, and she is still going to ask every time the experienced players to explain how to calculate this and that (especially because a mistake here may stick forever). Then she will be using only a few of those stats at all in actual gameplay.

The "light" character sheet tries to save time at character creation and when levelling up, at the expense of taking more time in gameplay, but whether the net result in gameplay is really to slow it down, is unclear until we actually try. It could be in fact the opposite for some players, if every time at their turn they are wading through a long list of things instead of a shorter one focused on what their PC can do well. We are only theorizing right now... I want to see this at the gaming table.

There is also an intermediate alternative here: a character sheet that lists only stuff you're proficient at but ALSO with the total bonus precalculated. So the stuff you're good at is ready-to-use, and the calculation of the rest is delayed until you decide to try.

Aboslutely! That's of course the bottom line. I am trying to think out of the box to see if the alternative is competitive in terms of convenience.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Have you tried it in 5e, or only in previous editions?
In 5e.

That's not how I feel. As a (moderately) experienced player myself, I think that I won't need to look at three places.

I would be using the same proficiency bonus all the time for every trained check/save/attack for many gaming sessions before the bonus changes, I'll practically never really need to look it up. Everybody already knows it's +2 if you start at 1st level, for instance. Almost every character has 2 saving throws proficiencies, so even that will quickly stick to my mind, no need to look them up every time. I would have 4-5 skill proficiencies, or twice as many if playing a Rogue: this is going to be the hardest case, but it doesn't sound that hard.
That's what I thought too, but it just didn't work when I tried it. It's annoying because you have to A, remember stuff, and B, do math. As a D&D player, you must know that a lot of gamers have trouble with both of those things. It's much easier if the number you're looking for is written on the sheet.

Then my whole point is, those "few seconds" may turn up to be less than the few seconds needed to wade through a cluttered character sheet with lots of numbers. It depends, who knows... maybe it'll be quicker if I have a short list of 4 skills which stands out very visibly in an almost-empty character sheet, rather than a list of 18 skills.
The 5e system is simple enough that your sheet doesn't get too cluttered. What I mean is, the simplicity of the game (relative to other D&Ds) means that it's easy to have a "full" character sheet without being difficult to navigate. It seems counterproductive to do an incomplete one.

The trade-off is that with the traditional character sheet, the new player is going to spend half an hour filling it up, and she is still going to ask every time the experienced players to explain how to calculate this and that (especially because a mistake here may stick forever). Then she will be using only a few of those stats at all in actual gameplay.
Your assumptions here don't make sense to me. The experienced players are waiting for the new player to finish her character sheet, but not helping her (guiding her through the process and/or doing all the math for her)?

The "light" character sheet tries to save time at character creation and when levelling up, at the expense of taking more time in gameplay
I value gameplay time much more than I value away-from-game time. I also don't see how the "light" sheet solves this problem any better than the official sheet does. If the player doesn't want to do the math beforehand, they can just bubble in the skills they have. They can do the math on-the-fly during the game (like your suggestion), and then write that number down so they can reference it later (or not).

Either way, it's not like filling out a complete sheet takes much time in 5e. The math isn't complicated. I'd rather do it before the game than during the game.

but whether the net result in gameplay is really to slow it down, is unclear until we actually try... We are only theorizing right now... I want to see this at the gaming table.
I have tried this at an actual gaming table.

The Hitcher

Explorer
I think this minimalist approach to character sheets would work particularly well with the variant where proficiency bonus is replaced by a die (+2=d4, +3=d6,etc.). It would also work well with the variant where your background stands in for your skills.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads