An unusual druid build.

Machiavelli

First Post
I've been toying with the idea of a non-shaping, non-summoning druid recently, ignoring the need for extra character sheets. I figure it would be fun to cut this very powerful class down at the knees, then think of creative ways to build its power back up to respectable heights.

Now, it need not be a straight-up druid, and in fact I anticipate some multiclassing, but I'd like to avoid any multiclassing penalties (as per the rules for that in the PHB), and stick to classes/PrC's that have a thematic feal roughly similar to each other.

Okay, my ideas for this build mostly stem from the one test build I did for a race I created (one which I think turned out just swell! :)). Here is said build: [sblock]Male elyx fighter 2/druidic avenger 5/scout 3;
Challenge Rating: 10;
Type: Medium monsterous humanoid;
Hit Dice: 10 plus 1d10+1 plus 5d8+5 plus 3d8+3
Hit Points: 60;
Init: +3;
Speed: 40ft, fly 40ft;
AC: 18 (+2 Dex, +6 Armor), touch 12, flat-footed 16;
Base Atk: +7/+2;
Grapple: +11/+6;
Attack: Elyx steel talon +11 melee or elyx tail spikes +11 melee;
Full Attack: Elyx tail spikes +11/+6 melee and bite +9 melee and 2 talons +9 melee;
Damage: Elyx steel talon 1d6+6/19-20x2 (p&s), elyx tail spikes 2d4+4/x2 (s), talon 1d4+2/x2 (p&s), bite 1d4+2/x2 (p&s);
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 10;
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +6;
Skills: 42 skill points, 13 ranks max, 8 ranks Jump, +5 Hide checks;
Feats: Multiattack [MM 304], Extended Rage [CWar 97], Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Elyx Steel Talon, Power Attack, Leap Attack [CAdv 110], Lion's Pounce [CDiv 82];

Equipment:
+3 Leafweave darkwood-studded leather Shadow armor of Woodwalking (22,515gp) [RotW 168/171]
+2 Elyx Steel Talon (4,065gp)
+2 Elyx Tail Spikes (4,080gp)
18,340gp remaining (49,000gp total)

Special Abilities:
[d] Druid spells 5,4,2,1 per day
[d] Wild shape 1/day
[d] Barbarian Rage 1/day (11 rounds)
[d/s] Fast movement +20 feet
Skirmish (+1d6, +1 AC)
Battle fortitude (+1 Fort & Initiative)
[d] Nature sense (+2 Know(nature), +2 Survival)
[d] Wild empathy (-4 checks)
[d] Woodland stride
[d] Trackless step
[d] Resist nature's lure
Trapfinding
Uncanny dodge
[armor] Woodwalk (3/day uses of Tree Stride spell)

Druid Spells Prepared (5/4/2/1; save DC 11 + spell lvl): 0- (3)Cure Minor Wounds, Resistance, Guidance; 1- (3)Magic Fang, Obscuring Mist; 2- Barkskin, Bull's Srength; 3- Call Lightning;

Abilities started as Str 16, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10 (32 point buy)

-~-

Ambush tactics:
First a self-buffed diving charge out of the trees...
Battle Fortitude (+1 Init, +1 Fort)
+2 Atk charging
+8 Jump check for Leap Attack
Cast Bull's Strength[2] (+4 Str)
Cast Magic Fang[1x3] (+1 Atk&dmg Bite and 2 Talons)
Cast Barkskin[2] (+2 natural AC)
Cast Resistance[0] (+1 to all saves)
Cast Guidance[0] (+1 to a single attack, save, or skill check)
Cast Call Lightning[3] (1 bolt/rd standard action)
Barbarian Rage (Str +4, Con +4, AC -2)
Steel Talon 2d6 + Str x3 + PA x6 + 1d6 skirmish

Then a hasty retreat covered by spells...
+20 land movement
Woodland Stride into undergrowth
Call bolts of lightning (3d6 dmg/bolt; max 5 bolts)
Cast Obscuring Mist[1] if needed, for full retreat

Finally, a leaping charge to finish the foes...
+2 Atk charging
Barbarian Rage (Str +4, Con +4, AC -2)
+8 Jump check for Leap Attack
Lion's Pounce (full attack at end of charge)
-1 Talon 1d6+1 + Str x.5 + PA x2 + 1d6 skirmish
-1 Talon 1d6+1 + Str x.5 + PA x2 + 1d6 skirmish
-1 Bite 1d6+1 + Str x.5 + PA x2 + 1d6 skirmish
+0 Tail Spikes 2d4 + Str x1 + PA x2 + 1d6 skirmish
+0 Tail Spikes (BAB-5) 2d4 + Str x1 + PA x2 + 1d6 skirmish[/sblock]
Now, I'm not interested in another Elymastix character, mostly because getting such a character approved for a game would be dependent entirely upon the DM of said game, and I'm hoping to eventually play this character. I just like the ideas I had for a focus on charge attacks.

Starting level: 6th
Final level: Approx 16th

Food for thought: Are there any Wild feats that improve combat and are not a complete waste of a wild shape? If forced to focus on Lion's Pounce [Wild], how can it be mechanically optimized?

iceifur

Explorer
Machiavelli said:
I've been toying with the idea of a non-shaping, non-summoning druid recently [snip]

Well, if you have access to Unearthed Arcana, there's always the alternate druid option on page 58. You give up your armor and shield proficiencies and wild shape abilities, but in return you gain: bonus to AC when unarmored (as monk, including Wis bonus to AC), fast movement (as monk), favored enemy (as ranger), and the Track feat (as ranger). That takes care of the "non-shaping" part.

For the "non-summoning" part, check out the "Spontaneous Rejuvenation" alternate class feature on page 39 of the Player's Handbook II. You lose the spontaneous access to SNA, but gain the ability to convert spells into a limited form of fast healing for you and your allies.

Machiavelli

First Post
Wow, I'd completely overlooked that little UA blurb. Thanks for pointing it out, iceifur :)

But oooooph! That is a painfully weak set of abilities to give up wild shape for! Even if the gained power for a druid alternative isn't as gosh-darn versatile as wild shape, it should at least be a specialized form of powerful.

I was hoping that in the myriad of books out there, or even lurking overlooked in a book I have access to, I would find something that makes me squeel with glee over the simple, fun alternative it offers to shape changing.

iceifur

Explorer
Machiavelli said:
[snip] I was hoping that in the myriad of books out there, or even lurking overlooked in a book I have access to, I would find something that makes me squeel with glee over the simple, fun alternative it offers to shape changing.

Then take a gander at the "Shapeshift" druid variant on page 39 of the Player's Handbook II; it's right after the "Spontaneous Rejuvenation" option I mentioned earlier, and can be taken concurrently. The shapeshift druid gives up wild shape and an animal companion, and gets a very simplified template-based alternative to wild shape in return. Oh, and the natural attacks you gain while shapeshifted are treated as magical weapons (including attack and damage bonuses) as you gain levels. Best of all, you gain your first alternate form at 1st level, and shifting is a swift action.

I suggest you give it a look. It's not as versatile as wild shape, but it sure is a hell of a lot simpler. ;)

Last edited:

IcyCool

First Post
Well that's simple. ;)

Druid 3/Wizard 3/Arcane Heirophant 10/Mystic Theurge 4. No wildshape ability, you don't have to cast summoning spells, and you get access to 9th level Druid spells and 9th level Wizard spells.

Ruslanchik

First Post
Do you want an animal companion? I would say that eliminating wildshape and animal companion should get you the best BAB progression. This would give you spells and all the other druid abilities but full-on attack capabilities.

I actually have a similar type character now. He is a halfling druid using his riding dog animal companion as a mount. His first two feats were Mounted Combat and Ride-by Attack. Noticing that he would begin to lose combat power soon I took lvl 4 as fighter and the Spirited Charge feat (lance damage= 1d6x3 on a charge, not bad). That's where he stands now. I can't see any use for wildshape but don't see any PrCs that offer the standard spell progression and somthing else in return for wildshape and didn't work anything out with my DM in advance...

Anyways, this little druid and his dog have proven to be hardy in combat and valuable melee fighters.

Jack Simth

First Post
IcyCool said:
Well that's simple. ;)

Druid 3/Wizard 3/Arcane Heirophant 10/Mystic Theurge 4. No wildshape ability, you don't have to cast summoning spells, and you get access to 9th level Druid spells and 9th level Wizard spells.
Excepting that it's an illegal build as listed. You have +1 BAB from Wizard, +2 from Druid, and need a BAB of +4.

If you use Fractional BAB, you've got +1.5 from Wizard and +2.25 from Druid; still 0.25 short. You want

Druid-3/Wizard-3/Mystic Theurge-2/Arcane Heirophant-10/Mystic Theurge 3 and 4

The split spellcasting stat bites, though.....

Machiavelli

First Post
IcyCool, Jack Smith, that Heirophantic Theurge build is pretty impressive. I'd actually never considered combining those two PrC's to get 9th-level spells in two casting classes... interesting. If I go in a purely spellcasting direction, THAT will be it.

However, I've been mulling over the combination of a druid and monk for the self-buffed Flurry of Blows at the end of a Lion's Pounce, perhaps even incorporating Two-Weapon Fighting (how would that even work?). Then add extra damage that applies individually to each attack. How would one optimize such a thing?

For a melee druid build like this, the preferred image is a sort of savage being who is physically fully human, but at heart an animal. I'm liking that image, quite alot.

Remove ads