D&D 5E An Upcoming 5E Classic Setting in a Brand New Format: The Realm of the D&D Cartoon Show (?)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Yeah, it would be objectionable if there were, say, IQ charts and real-world weight-lifting charts you're supposed to line up with.

But if they did it freeform: like assign the Ability Scores however you wish...as a fantastic version of yourself...that just looks like you and has your persona, then I think it could work.
Back in college we did this, were we built ourselves in GURPS for a time-travel game. Didn't care about points, but we would be peer reviewing. Amusingly the only character issue we had was one brilliant guy with low self esteem had totally lowballed himself in every aspect.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
A cartoon show setting seems plausible with the road WotC has gone for the last year with the young-and-new market and non-violent conflict resolution in focus. Ka-pow, slightly evil guy grabbing sword between ribs and arm, dramatic scene falling to the ground, curse you heroes, see you next week. Might still be fun to read the mechanics for it :)

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
A cartoon show setting seems plausible with the road WotC has gone for the last year with the young-and-new market and non-violent conflict resolution in focus. Ka-pow, slightly evil guy grabbing sword between ribs and arm, dramatic scene falling to the ground, curse you heroes, see you next week. Might still be fun to read the mechanics for it :)
Non lethal melee is part of the base game as released in 2014.

1 book that features non-combat solutions vis not a trend

Undrave

Legend
Cartoon Action Hour does exist for Saturday Morning simulations.

Audiomancer

Adventurer

Taking this one step further…

The core rules are divided up into 4-5 booklets, and the booklets are packaged inside specifically-marked boxes of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs (or the Saturday-morning breakfast cereal of your choice.)

There’s your “new format.”

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
Taking this one step further…

The core rules are divided up into 4-5 booklets, and the booklets are packaged inside specifically-marked boxes of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs (or the Saturday-morning breakfast cereal of your choice.)

There’s your “new format.”
No Monster Manual. Collectible cards with adversary picture and stat block will be included in chewing gum packs, and the card trading market explode. You need to give up to 3 000 (non-aligned) orc cards for the coveted Dracolish (with a golden heart).

But enough of the grog nagging, back to serious cartoon setting speculations.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
Non lethal melee is part of the base game as released in 2014.
Yes. My players have a tendency to overuse it. So I have made a pretty detailed scaling chart to deal with the consequences of too much non-lethal damage beyond 0 hp - ranging from slight disfigurement to severe brain damage.

With an (un)lucky greataxe crit and bad roll on the chart the party barb put a local drug ring boss down to permanent 3 in all mental stats. The interrogation and delivery of the prisoner to city authorities didn't go as planned of course, and got the party searching for other clues with lots of social pillar shenanigans. My table enjoy it.

The above is just an example of different approaches to non-lethal solutions. It might be my grog paranoia, but I detect a slight difference in non-lethality tone from WotC back in 2014 vis-a-vis now.

Stormonu

Legend
No Monster Manual. Collectible cards with adversary picture and stat block will be included in chewing gum packs, and the card trading market explode. You need to give up to 3 000 (non-aligned) orc cards for the coveted Dracolish (with a golden heart).

But enough of the grog nagging, back to serious cartoon setting speculations.
You mean, these old things from 1982?
1649261776368.jpeg

Remove ads