D&D 5E And just like that, no one cares about Frostmaiden any longer

Doesn't sit right with me, and for people who bought those previous versions have a legit beef, IMO

I don't agree. In the long, long history of RPGs, I've seen a lot of occasions where material from an older or more specific book was reprinted in a later, more general book, and I think it's pretty much always been for the best. The only case where I'd say anyone had a "beef" was where they did something like buy Eberron specifically for Artificer, and no other reason at all, and that's a weak beef at best.

A more legit beef, for me, if where you reprint old material instead of adding new material. That may be happening. If say, all the classes which have a reprinted subclass, don't have a new subclass, I will be quite annoyed, I have to admit. Because that isn't "getting the material to more people", which is reasonable, it's avoiding producing material because you can cheap-out and reprint stuff.

Won't stop me buying it if so, but it will cause me to whinge until 6E comes out at a dead minimum.

Okay, 11 pages.

Sorry to be a dummy, but do we have a complete list of the contents somewhere? I seem to be unable to find it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sorry to be a dummy, but do we have a complete list of the contents somewhere? I seem to be unable to find it.

No worries! We don't have an exact and complete list yet, though we have a pretty good idea. We so know what the reprints are: all 3 Artificer Subclasses from Eberron, all Subclass options from Ravnica and Theros, and the Bladesinger from SCAG. I just checked, and this is actually 15 pages of material, but we do know there is new art for at least one of these, maybe more.

For new stuff, we know there are 22 new Classes, at least one for every Class.

By the best estimate based on UA, we are looking at 4 for the Artificer, 3 each for Cleric & Druid, and 2 for all the rest, for 30 total Subclasses in the book for 13 Classes.

Last edited:

plisnithus8

Adventurer
1. Perkins has said that there are Frostmaiden secrets that could be spoiled with too much preview.
2. There is more to talk about with Tasha's since so much of it has already been released in UA and other books.

Undrave

Legend
A more legit beef, for me, if where you reprint old material instead of adding new material. That may be happening. If say, all the classes which have a reprinted subclass, don't have a new subclass, I will be quite annoyed, I have to admit. Because that isn't "getting the material to more people", which is reasonable, it's avoiding producing material because you can cheap-out and reprint stuff.

Which might be what we're gonna get for the Wizard since the Psionic Wizard and Onomancer didn't make it through UA... Hopefully they kept the Scribe!

No worries! We don't have an exact and complete list yet, though we have a pretty good idea. We so know what the reprints are: all 3 Artificer Subclasses from Eberron, all Subclass options from Ravnica and Theros, and the Bladesinger from SCAG. I just checked, and this is actually 15 pages of material, but we do know there is new art for at least one of these, maybe more.

For new stuff, we know there are 22 new Classes, at least one for every Class.

By the best estimate based on UA, we are looking at 4 for the Artificer, 3 each for Cleric & Druid, and 2 for all the rest, for 30 total Subclasses in the book for 13 Classes.

Sounds good to me. I'm slightly mystified as to how they're going to cram all this into 192 pages, I just hope the stuff they do for races isn't just "Oh here we've done this for the PHB races, all the other races can piss off!". I am increasingly thinking that is probably it though. I mean, it's not a disaster if so, but it will be a bit sad because most of the races most in need of the ability to rejig stuff are non-PHB.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sounds good to me. I'm slightly mystified as to how they're going to cram all this into 192 pages, I just hope the stuff they do for races isn't just "Oh here we've done this for the PHB races, all the other races can piss off!". I am increasingly thinking that is probably it though. I mean, it's not a disaster if so, but it will be a bit sad because most of the races most in need of the ability to rejig stuff are non-PHB.

I hear ya, it's might ambitious for 192 pages.

By way of comparison, XGtE was 192 pages, and had a similar level of Class options (the most direct comparison between the 2 books):

- 6 pages on intro and basic rules questions

- 65 pages for Character stuff:
  • 53 pages covering 32 Subclasses and a few other Class bits
  • 11 pages for "This is Your Life" extended Background generation
  • 1 page for Feats
- 69 pages for DM stuff:

- 24 pages for Spells

- 3 pages on how to run a shared campaign

- 15 pages of name tables

So, there is room for them to do something significant with Lineage, but we'll see...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases