• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Andre the Giant, a Goliath among men?

This is probably true. It might also be a little bit of "He is big therefore he must be stupid."
This quote was said in a television show, but it's extremely fitting and sobering.

oXhRFJr.png

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
They may have meant the German's have a unique word that is one word and stands for it.

Like in English we take both words, man & mountain, and fuse them together.

But perhaps the German equivalent isn't a fusion of the Germans words for man and mountain, but instead an entirely new word?

In German you make new words by fusing them together. Like nipple is literally breast-wart. Sex (at least the older and now rarer word for it) is literally gender-traffic. It's fun because you get stuff like rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz.

Slit518

Adventurer
In German you make new words by fusing them together. Like nipple is literally breast-wart. Sex (at least the older and now rarer word for it) is literally gender-traffic. It's fun because you get stuff like rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz.

German is one of the languages I plan on learning.

Right now, I am in the beginning parts of learning Japanese.

Just over a week in!

By the way, what do those last words mean?

thrillland

First Post
It's in the dictionary, kind of, not really.

Dictionary.com is a website first and foremost. It is a pretty lacked one at that, particularly for its examination of the English language. It is made for quantity of entries to generate web traffic. The site also includes Godzilla, Kryptonite, Jedi, etc. If you scroll down on the site entry for "man-mountain" you will even see an "examples from the web" section. It appears the site pulled man-mountain out of the Blue Fairy Book by Andrew Lang. Like Lang's other works the particular volume is a collection of folk stories from various languages translated into English. The story its citing was translated literally from German and the metaphor itself is not common to the English language. It is not included in any paper volume dictionary, I checked my hardback Macmillan. It is neither recognize by Merriam-Webster.

No disrespect of course. But it is in "a dictionary" not "the dictionary." Good sir.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
German is one of the languages I plan on learning.

Right now, I am in the beginning parts of learning Japanese.

Just over a week in!

By the way, what do those last words mean?

Oops there shouldn't have been a space. Its actually one word: rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz meaning: Cattle marking and beef labeling supervision duties delegation law.

Edit: it added a space again. I may be running into a max character limit for a single word.

Tinker

First Post
He's definitely in the top .5% for Strength. I mean, if you get 216 random adults together, he's probably the strongest one there. That gives him a starting 18 (which I guess goes to 19 from the racial bonus).

D&D doesn't really differentiate between toughness and stamina, though. He would have a starting 19 in Con, as well, due to his tolerance for injury and alcohol; but there's no way he could run a mile without getting tired.

Off the top of my head, I'd go with something like 20/13/20/10/13/15.
Going by size, top 0.5% men would be about 6 foot 5 and 230lbs. That's according to British growth charts up to age 20. YMMV, especially for weight, which doesn't flatten out with adulthood like height does. Anyway, point is, Andre was for size way off the chart. Top 0.01% or higher. I'd rate him at 20+ Str naturally, and (within DND rules) give him enough levels at the peak of his career to advance the ability by at least a couple of points.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Zardnaar

Legend
Most of the WWE/F performers would be low CR NPCs with the good ones being trained in perform, athletics, acrobatics and persuasion. Some of them would be crazy strong or dextrous with high charisma scores (eg The Rock).
A handful might be CR3 or so or perhaps have class levels. The tough ones are actually Harley Race, Haku and Andre usually come up.

Slit518

Adventurer
Most of the WWE/F performers would be low CR NPCs with the good ones being trained in perform, athletics, acrobatics and persuasion. Some of them would be crazy strong or dextrous with high charisma scores (eg The Rock).
A handful might be CR3 or so or perhaps have class levels. The tough ones are actually Harley Race, Haku and Andre usually come up.

Not to mention Perry Saturn and the Steiner Brothers. And this day in age, I would say Brock Lesnar.

Remove ads