Andy Peregrine Confirmed As Dune Line Manager

Modiphius’ upcoming Dune RPG will be overseen by Andy Peregrine (Doctor Who, Judge Dredd). While he already has a team of writers for the initial release, their identities are being kept under wraps for the moment, as is most other information about the game (though it’s a good bet it will be powered by Modiphius’ 2d20 system).

Modiphius’ upcoming Dune RPG will be overseen by Andy Peregrine (Doctor Who, Judge Dredd).

334DB1EA-7180-4BFC-A008-08CB46E6BD2D.jpeg

While he already has a team of writers for the initial release, their identities are being kept under wraps for the moment, as is most other information about the game (though it’s a good bet it will be powered by Modiphius’ 2d20 system).

Eilathen

Explorer
I am very much looking forward to Dune. Modiphius has had a rough start with me (not entirely their fault) but has won me over since then with top notch product and being very approachable and nice people. I will definitely take a look at Dune when it is there. And I think their house-system will do a good job for it. They always tweak stuff to fit the license, so I'm not worried.

Although now that you folks brought it up, I'd like to see a Y0E version as well ^^
How about double-stat books... ;)

Vanveen

Explorer
So why has the estate finally kicked loose the rights? Has there been a death? (The main reason Amazon got the Lord of the Rings rights is Christopher Tolkien's retirement earlier this year, at a truly jawdropping age.) What's the scoop?

aramis erak

Legend
So why has the estate finally kicked loose the rights? Has there been a death? (The main reason Amazon got the Lord of the Rings rights is Christopher Tolkien's retirement earlier this year, at a truly jawdropping age.) What's the scoop?
Amazon was probably not licensed by the estate; they are using the "Lord of the Rings" trademark, which the Estate doesn't own; Middle Earth Entertainment does. (MEE is a DBA & TM of the Saul Zaentz Company. SZC/MEE owns LOTR and The Hobbit; the estate owns everything else, so, unless they struck a deal with both, don't expect it to match the HoME nor Silmarillion.)

As for rights on Dune... Brian Herbert was peripherally involved with the writing team for the LUG Dune. He's not anti-games (unlike C.Tolkien). Thing is, the Herbert estate licensed a movie. From what I can piece together, the licenses are to maximize fan surge for the movie.

I will also say that, if it really is 2d20, I'll be less than thrilled about it. I'm buying the STA PDFs not because I'll run it again, but because the setting info is excellent, and the char gen can easily be tweaked to use CortexPlus for resolution. But I've come to detest the metacurrency-driven success and lack of real risk for PCs. The challenge my players faced was in spite of the mechanics, not because of them, and that's not a good thing for a game, IMO.

I'll also note that Modiphius has two other engines they publish, and a third they distribute for; it's plausible (but unlikely) that it may not be 2d20.

Remove ads

Remove ads