D&D General (Anecdotal) conversations with Asian gamers on some problems they currently face in the D&D world of RPG gaming

G

Guest 6801328

There is nothing cowardly about taking a position that is very unpopular and receive the kind of response I have.

Um, no, sorry. You get exactly zero courage points for being willing to defend your privilege on an anonymous forum, even at the risk of (horrors!) being attacked by other anonymous people for it.

Courage belongs to those who willingly risk their own comfort, their own privilege, for the benefit of people who are less fortunate.

So, you refuse to be specific. You refuse to provide an evidence or proof of your points and you refuse to refine your argument to the point where we can talk about specific points. What is inaccurate about any of that?

There is one point on which I have refused to offer specifics, and I have given my reason for it. The rest of my argument gets ignored by posters like you on these grounds.

Again, if you are unsatisfied with my posting, you have every right in the world to ignore what I say. But you have this pattern of being hostile toward me, demanding I answer a series of questions, and then attacking me when I don't choose to engage your series of questions (which I do not feel are asked in good faith, and I also feel are asked to side step addressing the points I do make).

Once again, I am happy to engage you. I am happy to respond to questions asked in good faith and give answers I am comfortable giving. But I am not happy to sit here and just be a whipping post for your aggression. If you keep posting in this manner, I will simply stop responding to you.

Um, no, sorry. You get exactly zero courage points for being willing to defend your privilege on an anonymous forum, even at the risk of (horrors!) being attacked by other anonymous people for it.

Courage belongs to those who willingly risk their own comfort, their own privilege, for the benefit of people who are less fortunate.

I am not anonymous on this forum, I am posting under my company name. My name is Brendan Davis. My publishing company is Bedrock Games. I am not asking for points at all. I am saying it is not cowardly taking an unpopular position in an environment like this. You can disagree, but you would wrong. And all you have been doing is insulting me and I have been trying to offer a measured reposes. And you are insulting me for things I don't even believe and views I haven't expressed. I haven't mischaracterized you, and I have made every effort not to be insulting to you.

And you know nothing about me or my 'privilege'. You make all kinds of assumptions here.

G

Guest 6801328

By putting a warning on a game book? A warning I said I didn't even oppose.

No, that doesn't take courage either.

As I've said in this thread in others, just about the least, most inconsequential thing I could possibly do to to help people who aren't white (and aren't male and weren't born in America and didn't get to go to fancy schools) is to agree, without whining and gnashing my teeth, to changes in fantasy roleplaying games. It takes no courage at all to do that.

But to refuse even that much, to be afraid that any hint of acquiescence could be the beginning of the unraveling of unearned privilege, shows the opposite of courage.

As I've said in this thread in others, just about the least, most inconsequential thing I could possibly do to to help people who aren't white (and aren't male and weren't born in America and didn't get to go to fancy schools) is to agree, without whining and gnashing my teeth, to changes in fantasy roleplaying games. It takes no courage at all to do that.

I didn’t go to a fancy school. But that is not really relevant. I don’t see what is courageous about saying you automatically have to agree with a criticism or request for change because someone from a particular minority group makes it. I am not saying it should be ignored. I am saying we still have a responsibility to form our own judgment. And it isn’t like there is a monolithic message coming from said group. You are equating disagreeing with a given criticism, with being oppressive towards the person making the criticism. Like I said before, I think that isn’t a particularly healthy way to approach the matter.

I don’t mind you disagreeing. I do mind you attributing motives to me that aren’t there, I do mind you insulting me by calling my opinion cowardly and I do mind the other implications/accusations.

As stated, happy to have a conversation. I don’t think my position here is all that outrageous. But I won’t stand still as a whipping post for your anger. If you persist I will have to start ignoring you (which is something I don’t like to do: but after three or four rounds of insults, I do see many other options)

Hussar

Legend
I am saying we still have a responsibility to form our own judgment.

Ok. Fair enough.

Now, in your judgement, what, if anything should be done about Oriental Adventures? And, can you please explain how you arrived at that judgement?

What, in your judgement, if anything, should be done about the description of Vistani? And can you please explain how you arrived at that judgement?

See, it's all very easy when we keep things vague and make statements like " we still have a responsibility to form our own judgment. " No one disagrees with that. But, at some point you have to actually tell people what that judgement is and how you got there.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I can't support his kind of thinking.

SARS-COV-2 does not care if you believe in it. And whether you support this kind of thinking does not change the reality.

It is logically inescapable. You live in a country with 300+ million others, on a planet with seven billion and more people. You, as an individual, may go be a hermit on a mountain, taking part in as little of the world as possible, and make a claim that you are "neutral". But, there is no isolation for any major corporate entity - they exist to not be isolated. They are part of a world economy, a world supply chain, a world labor pool, and a world of shared energy production.

It also overlooks the harm that can come when we start expecting powerful, money making institutions to take stances on political issues.

I'm not suggesting they take stances on political issues, or take sides in partizan political contests. I don't want corporate entities to back political candidates in elections. I just say that they are ethically on the hook for what they do to their people, and the world around them.

What you seem to not get is that they are making and following policies and taking actions, regardless. They are having impact, regardless. So, they will do harm, or not, regardless of claims of neutrality. The only question is how they are held responsible for their actions.

"With great power comes great responsibility," is not just for Spider-Man.

Ok. Fair enough.

Now, in your judgement, what, if anything should be done about Oriental Adventures? And, can you please explain how you arrived at that judgement?

What, in your judgement, if anything, should be done about the description of Vistani? And can you please explain how you arrived at that judgement?

See, it's all very easy when we keep things vague and make statements like " we still have a responsibility to form our own judgment. " No one disagrees with that. But, at some point you have to actually tell people what that judgement is and how you got there.

I have expressed my views on this over the course of the threads. I will try to do so again. It is late though and I am not sure how well I will express myself. But I am not going to take you through each step of my logic to "explain how arrived at that judgement". That seems like venturing back into the territory where you are insisting I answer your series of questions.

I think OA should remain up for sale (which I believe you have said, you think it should as well). If they want to put up a warning, I think that is fine. I am not sure it really does much (I think I just have a much different view on how we should approach media from many posters here). My sense is that most people should understand that this was made in the mid-80s and going to reflect the sensibilities and language of that time. The "O" part of OA is offensive by today's standards in the states. I don't know how you fix that, because changing it erases it, it also would lead to confusion, and at the time it was made, that wouldn't have registered with most people as offensive. That part, more than anything else, probably deserves an explanation, but I think the explanation should be fair to the writers in order to contextualize things and not give the false impression they were being deliberately offensive or something. Personally if I was in charge of the line at WOTC, I would change the title of the line going forward (probably with a note in the introduction explaining it is part of the same series but that "Oriental" was removed to avoid offense). My wife is Thai and the term Oriental is not one I am personally comfortable with using (I've heard it used as a pejorative and it can be quite ugly when used in that type of way). But I wouldn't want to alter content of books from the TSR era, or make them unavailable.

Just as a side note, as someone who has made pretty extensive use of both editions of OA (I do think they still both have plenty of valuable content), I feel third edition was actually more offensive for content. The first edition wasn't especially bad in that respect, in my opinion (especially for its time). But I still remember feeling like the WOTC version of OA was a kind of step backwards when I first read. It just seemed more stereotypical to me at the time. I liked how it handled martial arts if I recall. I remember using portions of it (among other splat books from the era) for a wuxia campaign (had to reskin a lot of the material of course).

Honestly the best thing I think is for there to be conversations about it. I don't know that there is anything WOTC can really do aside from put a warning on it. This is why I said, I was fine with the podcast. I didn't agree with all their criticisms, but I think they should have expressed those criticisms if that is how they felt. I did listen to the podcast. Where I take issue, is in calls to take the book down (and initially that was what was being asked for on twitter when these threads started). That is where my disagreement began with this. I also take issue with posters how have said we have to accept each criticism automatically, because of identity issues. I think that is misguided.

I don't have the best answer here of what ought to be done. And I a not pretending to. Much of my response here has been to ideas that I think bring us too close to censorship, or move us in a direction of more pablum content. I weigh in because I am a publisher and I have seen the shift over time. People are of course free to disagree with me. I am just making sure my vote is counted because we are collectively making a decision as a hobby about where we want to go in terms of what kinds of things are permissible, how writing should be vetted etc. And I worry about where we are going, however well intentioned, for the reasons I've given.

In terms of the Vistani. Ravenloft was my favorite setting. I grew up in an era when the gypsy trope was pretty normal, and people living in the states had no direct experience with Roma. I think I am probably a generation apart on this issue. I don't even know what the current controversy is surrounding them (I don't play 5th edition). I know I like the Vistani as they were used in Ravenloft, and I thought most people who liked them, did so because they found them admirable. I doubt they were accurate. And I am sure there could have been stereotypes in there. But I also think there were a lot of interesting things being done in the Ravenloft line around the Vistani. For example in the Van Richten books, Van Richten has a recurring bigotry against the Vistani, and this was used quite cleverly at times almost as a form of satire. It was an interesting flaw to give to the most heroic character in the setting.

What I will say is today I think people often mistake content for message. And the two are not the same. And I think we often leap to conclusions about what someone is trying to say with their content, and that we can be especially unforgiving in this era anytime a creator is perceived to have mistepped. I don't know that any of that has made people more tolerant or empathetic.

Not sure if that answers you questions. That is about as much specifics as I can give on those two questions at his hour.

G

Guest 6801328

I do mind you attributing motives to me that aren’t there

Ok, fair point.

Although the arguments you are using are the same ones used as a deliberate strategy to protect the status quo, one reason they are effective is that many people find them convincing. So it was wrong of me to automatically assume you are being disingenuously manipulative, because it's possible...likely, even...that in fact you find these sorts of arguments persuasive.

But please recognize the reality underlying your arguments: if we refuse to take any risks because of what it might lead to, or argue that no risks are necessary because we can't prove a causal connection between two things (e.g., fantasy RPGs and racism), then we are making excuses to not have to do anything.

Remove ads