• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Angel Moved! No Longer on Sundays!

Ranger REG

Explorer
Welverin said:

Does anything air when it's supposed to where you live?
That depends.

My WB station in Hawaii (formerly UPN/WB) is also a local sport station for UH and State High School Athletic Tournaments. So programs will be pre-empted and shifted to new temporary timeslots whenever possible.

sotmh

First Post
UPN does have secondary affiliates that air it's primetime programming in different slots. Most such stations are the primary affiliate of another network like WB or FOX, since both of those networks don't provide as much network programming as NBC, ABC, and CBS. This leaves more local primetime slots open for another networks programming.

The station I used to work at was a primary FOX secondary UPN affiliate. ST: Voyager was on Wednesday nights for primary affiliates, but we aired it on the following Saturday at 6p, FOX network primetime feed doesn't start until 7p. This was a few years ago, of course. Later we launched a second station to be a primary UPN affiliate.

I'm not sure that all made sense, but basically it boils down to the market. Most large markets will have a primary UPN affiliate and air their programming in the "standard" time slot (ie. Buffy is on Tuesdays 8/7). Most midsize markets will have a secondary UPN affiliate that will air some UPN programming (usually the most popular shows) at some later time in the week. Smaller markets will probably have any UPN affiliates at all, since UPN is still very much the small fish in the pond.

This is all different, of course, in Canada, Great Britain and other international markets. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but at least some of them have to wait until the show can be syndicated (about 7 months after first air date) before they get it. Someone may want to double-check me on this part, since I never really studied it.

sotmh

KnowTheToe

First Post
Ranger REG said:

That depends.

My WB station in Hawaii (formerly UPN/WB) is also a local sport station for UH and State High School Athletic Tournaments. So programs will be pre-empted and shifted to new temporary timeslots whenever possible.

At least living in such a beautiful place off sets the horrible network scheduling

Jamdin

Explorer
Argh, moving "Angel" to Wednesday in the current "Birds of Prey" timeslot will pit it against the new "Twilight Zone", which I watch every week. Some of the TZ episodes have been good but there have been equally share of dudes. I've been taping "Birds of Prey" & I like it mostly since it's entertaining (Oracle is hot, Dinah is not & Helana is in between). I'll miss having "Angel" after "Charmed" because that was a cool two hours of tv (the other being "Buffy" & "Haunted", which I'll miss). I started watching "Charmed" again thanks to "Angel" & it filled the void of no more "X-Files."

Weird...

Welverin

First Post
Crothian said:
I was under the impression it got canned.

Well if I had waited another half hour in addition to the weeks I had already waited to ask, I would have had my question answered by UPN themselves (there was a thingy just before the start of Buffy).

Ranger REG

Explorer
KnowTheToe said:

At least living in such a beautiful place off sets the horrible network scheduling
Not really. The fortysomething idiot in charge of both NBC and WB local TV stations here made a stupid decision NOT to air UPN programming after the contract expired last september.

Now I'm forced to watch new Buffy episodes on Saturday afternoon. The same idiot also think that Starhunter is worth airing here. :rolleyes:

Henry

Autoexreginated
My God! The West Wing has viewers! :)

Seriously, I watched it once early in hits run, and couldn't see the appeal. For me, Angel's move is one of the best things possible, because it puts my TV watching in a more solid "block" of time between Tuesday and Thursday. I usually do other things on my Saturdays and Sundays. It's rare enough I'm even on the 'net on the weekends.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Pretty sure the move was a precurrsor to cancellation. Angel is pulling in a 1.5 rating right now, teetering on the "not in top 100" line of death (and below some shows on PAX TV if you can believe it). It may be just a sign that they have given up on the show, and are just airing the remaining episodes until the next season comes around.

Remove ads