D&D 5E Angels/Celestials of Different Races

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
This is quite a simple concept, but one that D&D doesn't seem to do that often (from what I've seen).

Angels should have a variety of different appearances. They shouldn't just look like muscular humans with wings, in my opinion (or green-skinned muscular humanoids in the case of the Planetar). There should be angels that look like different races, maybe dependent on which god they serve.

For example, in my homebrew world, the Raven Queen has promoted some of her most devout Shadar-Kai to become Angels. They grow black raven wings (duh), become celestials, and get a version of the Angelic Weapons feature that does necrotic damage (specified to ignore the necrotic resistances/immunities of undead).

Also, my world's goblinoids worship magic, and the founders of their religion managed to transform themselves into angels using their arcane-divine power (like a mixture of True Polymorph and Tasha's Otherworldly Guise). The Hobgoblin became the equivalent of a Planetar (with arcane-blue wings), but with wizard spells, the Bugbear became the equivalent of a Solar (with leaf-green wings), but with druid spells, and the Goblin became the equivalent of a Deva (with golden-yellow wings), but as a Divine Soul Sorcerer.

It's just a simple change, and it could be applied to a lot of different types of celestials. Gruumsh could turn his most devout followers into Orc-looking evil Archons that rode Flying Aurochs (Winged Bull stats). Imagine Moradin-serving Dwarven Angels that wear heavy armor, wield Mauls/Warhammers and have metallic wings! Gold-feathered Aarakocra that serve the Gods of the Sun and Air, Kobolds that serve Tiamat becoming Abishai when they die, Pegasi-Centaurs that serve the Gods of Nature, Couatl-serving Yuan-Ti with rainbow-wings, and so on!

Any thoughts? Have you done anything like this in your world/campaigns?

Celestials can have a marvelous variety of forms.

1631942783643.png

Or

1631942810928.png

Or even

1631942844388.png

Wondrous!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, if you look at real-world religious texts that actually describe divine servitors, they can REALLY vary quite greatly.

Just sticking to what I know best (The Bible), you get all kinds of images:

The Cherubim, later shortened to Cherub, is the lowest in rank among the four. The Bible describes these beings as animal-human hybrids, tasked with guarding the garden of Eden against humankind.

In the Book of Ezekiel, the prophet’s vision depicts them as having four faces: that of a lion, an ox, an eagle, and a human. They have straight legs, four wings, and bull hooves for feet that gleam like polished brass. One set of wings covers their body, and the other is used for flight.

Meanwhile, the Malakim resemble humans…but are not actually depicted in the text as having wings.

OTOH, Seraphim are described as “having six wings, two of which are for flying, while they use the rest to cover their heads and feet.”

Ezekiel says the Ophanim are beings made out of interlocking gold wheels with each wheel’s exterior covered with multiple eyes.

So…go nuts! Clearly, there’s reasons why angels in Christianity often introduce themselves with phrases like “Be not afraid!”

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
This is quite a simple concept, but one that D&D doesn't seem to do that often (from what I've seen).

Angels should have a variety of different appearances. They shouldn't just look like muscular humans with wings, in my opinion (or green-skinned muscular humanoids in the case of the Planetar). There should be angels that look like different races, maybe dependent on which god they serve.

For example, in my homebrew world, the Raven Queen has promoted some of her most devout Shadar-Kai to become Angels. They grow black raven wings (duh), become celestials, and get a version of the Angelic Weapons feature that does necrotic damage (specified to ignore the necrotic resistances/immunities of undead).

Also, my world's goblinoids worship magic, and the founders of their religion managed to transform themselves into angels using their arcane-divine power (like a mixture of True Polymorph and Tasha's Otherworldly Guise). The Hobgoblin became the equivalent of a Planetar (with arcane-blue wings), but with wizard spells, the Bugbear became the equivalent of a Solar (with leaf-green wings), but with druid spells, and the Goblin became the equivalent of a Deva (with golden-yellow wings), but as a Divine Soul Sorcerer.

It's just a simple change, and it could be applied to a lot of different types of celestials. Gruumsh could turn his most devout followers into Orc-looking evil Archons that rode Flying Aurochs (Winged Bull stats). Imagine Moradin-serving Dwarven Angels that wear heavy armor, wield Mauls/Warhammers and have metallic wings! Gold-feathered Aarakocra that serve the Gods of the Sun and Air, Kobolds that serve Tiamat becoming Abishai when they die, Pegasi-Centaurs that serve the Gods of Nature, Couatl-serving Yuan-Ti with rainbow-wings, and so on!

Any thoughts? Have you done anything like this in your world/campaigns?
One idea I have for a world is to give them complete non-humanoid appearance, and state explicitly that the least mind-bending appearance they can easily take on is basically a blurry impossibility that will give you a headache if you stare.

To dig in a bit, what I mean is, Planetar might have 12 wings branching out of a wheel covered in eyes, and the angles and proportions just don’t make sense and the sight of them forced saves vs stun or something, etc. In order to appear to people and not break their minds, they can take a roughly humanoid shape, but they need a lot of experience with mortals to not still be upsetting to look at. They might appear as if 6 different creatures with different features and proportions were occupying the same physical space, all speaking in unison.

Another idea I had is to take out the angels, and make more use of other celestials like coatls and stuff.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer

Was this supposed to be tagged 4e rather than 5e?

I bring it up because while in 4e angels served all deities, in 5e angels are LG and only serve LG, NG, or CG deities. Prior to 4e angels also only served good deities, and could themselves be any good alignment.

Just in case any new players are reading this and getting as confused as I was (or maybe you have a really unique take on a CG Raven Queen...)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases