• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Animals gaining levels in PC classes

Drake M

First Post
So, I want to know if there is any rule that specifically says animals (normal animals, in this case an elephant) CANNOT take levels in a PC class.

I know why it might be a bad idea, how it could be explained as improbable or impossible flavor wise. But the question is, is there anything specifically saying it cannot be done, RaW?

Nagol

Unimportant
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm said:
Class Levels

Intelligent creatures that are reasonably humanoid in shape most commonly advance by adding class levels. Creatures that fall into this category have an entry of "By character class" in their Advancement line. When a monster adds a class level, that level usually represents an increase in experience and learned skills and capabilities.

Increased Hit Dice

Intelligent creatures that are not humanoid in shape, and nonintelligent monsters, can advance by increasing their Hit Dice. Creatures with increased Hit Dice are usually superior specimens of their race, bigger and more powerful than their run-of-the-mill fellows.

So the only advancement available to an unawakened (and possibly even if awakened) elephant is increasing Hit Dice.

Ahnehnois

First Post
That's odd, in that it would seem to indicate that any number of intelligent monsters that are not humanlike (such as dragons) cannot take class levels, which is obviously not true (there are even special prestige classes for them). I don't see why it matters what shape you are.

It should matter how smart you are though. No classes for animals.

Drake M

First Post
That's odd, in that it would seem to indicate that any number of intelligent monsters that are not humanlike (such as dragons) cannot take class levels, which is obviously not true (there are even special prestige classes for them). I don't see why it matters what shape you are.

It should matter how smart you are though. No classes for animals.

that's a good point too, shape.
So it's determined that creatures with 2 or lower cannot gain class levels. Though i've seen min/maxed barbarians and fighters with 3 intelligence :p
But then what about undead (skeletons/zombies)? Can they level? They have no intelligence score

that's a good point too, shape.
So it's determined that creatures with 2 or lower cannot gain class levels. Though i've seen min/maxed barbarians and fighters with 3 intelligence :p
But then what about undead (skeletons/zombies)? Can they level? They have no intelligence score

3 int is the cutoff point. Something to note is the entry for half-orcs specifically says that even if their int penalty would put them below 3 after rolling and such, their int score is nevertheless 3 because that's the bare minimum for taking class levels, though I don't know of any place where it explicitly and unambiguously says that because the designers likely didn't feel the need to call that out since they didn't expect people to be so itpicky (which they should have learned would happen since D&D rules lawyers existed way before 3.x)

But no, anything with an int 2 or lower, including int -, cannot take class levels because it doesn't have the intelligence to purposely improve itself, which is basically what class levels represent. Things like the Evolved Undead template are templates because mindless undead can't improve themselves on their own.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
There's really nothing wrong with, for example, giving a war dog a few fighter levels. Or making a cave bear with a barbarian level.

Is it RAW? It's pretty arguable; the quote above indicates that they typically advance by HD, but doesn't actually explicitly prohibit them from taking class levels.

I wouldn't sweat it. A few years ago, a party I ran had a war dog that lasted a long time and I eventually gave her a fighter level (and later another one). It didn't break anything; it just represented a kick-ass don't-mess-with-my-people dog.

Celebrim

Legend
Are you the DM?

If so do what seems right to you. In general, anything with an intelligence score 3 or higher probably should be eligible for class levels although in some cases this would be pretty rare.

I should say that I even disagree with the rule that animals can't have intelligences above 2. For one thing, this doesn't represent the full range of intelligences possible in animals. For another thing, this in no way represents how animals are generally made more human in stories. You can't do something like the Grimm brother's story 'The White Snake' if you think animals never have intelligence above 2. Heck, even in The Lord of the Rings, there is a scene with a fox thinking things to himself.

So I typically tend to divide intelligences:

-: Most insects, mussels, jellyfish, etc.
1: reptilian intelligence, amphibians, smarter insects and spiders
2: most herbivorous mammals, some jumping spiders
3: most carnivorous mammals, cuttlefish, many birds
4: crows, cats, non-working breed dogs, octopods, whales
5: elephants, dolphins, smarter dogs, most primates, some parrots
6: brighter apes, such as gorilla and chimpanzees

And of course, there can be exceptional members of the species with even greater intelligence.

I generally advance animals with HD, but I wouldn't at all object to adding class levels to a particular important animal NPC. So if that war hound you bought at first level survives long enough that it becomes an NPC in its own right and seems to earn it through heroic deeds, I might add a level of fighter to it. Or if you buy a smart horse and it too manages to become memorable, then it might gain levels as well.

In my current game there is a house cat that is among other things, an 8th level Shaman.

Drake M

First Post
Essentially, our group is throwing around the idea of an elephant with a few levels in druid.

we're not even completely sure if it'll play a part in one of our campaigns, if it'll be a pc, npc, monster, or who will dm.
But either way it's become a topic of conversation, with a lot of "does that even work?" In the mix.

For flavor, it has a great exotic magic vibe. And elephants average enough wis (15) to make it possible. Especially consider elephants can be trained for war, sport, or other tasks specifically, they seem much more likely to be able to level and use equipment, even some tools, than most animals.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
As stated, by RAW your answer is no.
RAW options include Awakening and then in the case of the non-humanoid creature, finding a way to alter it's shape to a humanoid one.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you and yours agree on. Have you seen the video of an Elephant painting? I think you guys should go for it.
[video=youtube_share;VQYEVQ4w7nw]http://youtu.be/VQYEVQ4w7nw[/video]

As stated, by RAW your answer is no.
RAW options include Awakening and then in the case of the non-humanoid creature, finding a way to alter it's shape to a humanoid one.

Who says the creature has to have a humanoid shape to take class levels? The monster entries specifically call out several such as the unicorn with cleric levels. It's even wearing bracers of armor.

Regarding the OP: Elephants are very intelligent and are even self-aware. It seems possible that one which was given more self-awareness and intelligence (perhaps through a headband of intellect, for example) could take class levels. Ultimately it's up to how you guys feel it can be run though.

And don't let RAW stop you from doing something awesome. All the rules are guidelines (and can definitely be wrong or cause issues, like monks not being proficient in unarmed strikes for example).

Remove ads