• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anime culture and D&D

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Hi-

My gawd, I am actually cooking Rice and making tea before I sit infront of my computer to watch episodes of Inuyasha or Full Metal Alchemist. At work I find my self giving a slight bow after talking to customers. When playing D&D all my characters are taking after the personalities of such guy's as Inuyasha, Roy Mustang and so on.

So how has the anime culture effected your life and gaming habits?

Scott
Looking to play agian on the northside of chicago

Crothian

First Post
Not in the least. I'm all for RPGs that are based around Anime, but D&D is not one of them and doesn't do anime well. So, I won't try to force it.

Aaron L

Hero
I made the ubiquitous young-man-with-mysterious-hidden-powers-waiting-to-be-unleashed-which-terrifies-him as my very first 3E character (a fighter/sorcerer.) He even had crazy DBZ hair.

And the bishonen master swordsman (an elf Bladesinger, so the look fit quite well.)

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Crothian said:
Not in the least. I'm all for RPGs that are based around Anime, but D&D is not one of them and doesn't do anime well. So, I won't try to force it.

Are you wacked in the head? :D

D&D I think does a great job of representing Anime, of course it does come down to the DM and how he puts forth the anime type world and NPC's.

Scott

I'm half-Japanese I grew up on it. I never segregated "anime" stylings from any other fantasy influences. Drew a couple characters (and the standard D&D races) Akira Toriyama-style, and that one lady who drew the covers for the Japanese Final Fantasies and Castlevanias. That's about it, though. I don't go so far as to bow to anyone in this country though. That's laying it on a bit thick. Now if you started hooking it up on the croquettes you'd be on the right track, man.

Psion

Adventurer
Crothian said:
Not in the least. I'm all for RPGs that are based around Anime, but D&D is not one of them and doesn't do anime well.

That's about like saying D&D doesn't do movies well. While it may be true in a general sense, I could pick out plenty of movies for which D&D would do smashingly.

This goes doubly so, for anime, the medium being richer in fantasy offerings that popular movies in the west.

I've totally plotted out what all the characters would be like in Princess Mononoke, and after recently having watched Howl's Moving Castle, I am looking at pilfering elements from there.

Scott_Holst said:
Hi-

My gawd, I am actually cooking Rice and making tea before I sit infront of my computer to watch episodes of Inuyasha or Full Metal Alchemist. At work I find my self giving a slight bow after talking to customers. When playing D&D all my characters are taking after the personalities of such guy's as Inuyasha, Roy Mustang and so on.

So how has the anime culture effected your life and gaming habits?

Scott
Looking to play agian on the northside of chicago

In lots of anime, characters don't bow. They're often not even Japanese!

Anime is just an artistic style, and covers realistic, bizarre, fantasy, modern, future, and whatever. However, the best known animes are things like Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon, which are a small and biased sample.

I'd like to see a Modern game like Black Lagoon, except without the ridiculous jumping. (Everything about the show except the combat is quite realistic.)

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

Absolutely not. (C'mon, does this suprise anyone? :) ) There are, however, some games that wonderfully model what I'd want out of an anime or manga inspired campaign...

D&D just isn't one of them.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Crothian said:

That's what I was going to say! For me, the emphasis on tactical combat, resource management, and balance of power in D&D makes it feel very not Anime to me. In fantasy anime, nearly all characters can do crazy, ballz-out, stuff -- it's more about flash and fury than counting paces on the battlefield or managing material resources. D&D can do Anime, I just don't think it does it well. There are much better systems for it (e.g., BESM, OVA, etc).

Last edited:

T. Foster

First Post
I prefer my D&D to have zero anime influence. Well, maybe a little bit of Urusei Yatsura influence, but none of that new-fangled anime that those kids today are so into! <grumble> <wheeze>

Remove ads