• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Another question about old threads

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
With threads I've recently-ish looked at, clicking on the thread title in the list of threads takes me to the first unread post if there are any.

With threads I haven't looked at in a while (usually necro-ed threads) clicking on the thread title always takes me to post one, and I have to jump around to figure out where the new content begins.

What is the "statute of limitations" on this? In other words, how long after I last look at a thread does the default go from "first unread post" to "post one"? I know it's less than 3 months, as a thread from April this year (in which I had posted, thus I know I've accessed that thread before) was just necro-ed with a new post and clicking on that thread's title took me to post one.

Corollary question: is this time period something I can change in settings? If it is, is there a "forever" setting such that no matter how old a thread is, if there's new content that's where clicking on the thread title will take me?

R_J_K75

Legend
As an aside but along the same lines sort of. Theres threads that I have no interest in, Im never going to read or comment on, is there a way to hide them?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I honestly have no idea. I've never seen a setting related to that. I suspect you currently know more about this than I do!

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
With threads I haven't looked at in a while (usually necro-ed threads) clicking on the thread title always takes me to post one, and I have to jump around to figure out where the new content begins.
This happens to me too. When it does, I find the Jump to new button (in the upper right of the top message on a page) works to take me to the newest content I have not read.
1625873259282.png

CapnZapp

Legend
I believe that info is stored in a cookie on your individual computer. Anything that messes with your cookies likely resets the "jump to new" function to the very first post.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I believe that info is stored in a cookie on your individual computer. Anything that messes with your cookies likely resets the "jump to new" function to the very first post.
I don't think so, in that my SO clears the cookies on this machine pretty much daily yet things still work as they should here until-unless there's been no new activity in a thread for a few months.

Remove ads