Another take on Meteor Swarm

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Over there, on the WotC boards, somebody homebrewed a meteor swarm replacement. As I also think I dislike it... I also homebrewed a bit... and well, that the result, including the rationale:

Well, it's a blaster-y power, unlike the other two, hence the control aspect should be minor, unlike greater icestorm (the damage plus control) or legion's hold (mainly control plus piddly damage). I'll settle for major damage plus piddly control.

To make the damage more appealing, I suggest adding some long term damage. A swarm of fiery globes should set people on fire!. Also, we should snag a bit of the sheer resistance overcoming power of the astral storm (which takes the worst resistance you have out of some damage types!)

Piddly control would be... pushing. As a burst, you cannot take full effect of it without inconvenience - but it's cinematic! And it breaks up enemy formations (if artillery is hiding behind brutes or soldiers) and allows you to run in between.

So, let's present the revised Meteor Swarm

Meteor Swarm
A hail of fiery orbs rains down and scatters you foes with tremendous explosions.
Daily * Arcane, Fire, Implement, Thunder
Standard Action Area Burst 5 within 20 squares
Target: Each creature in blast
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: 6d6 + Intelligence modifier fire and thunder damage and target is pushed 2 squares from the centre of the burst.
Miss: Half damage and no push.
Effect: Ongoing 10 fire damage (save ends).

Now, I lowered the damage by two dice, but 2d6 are 7 damage on average - and the ongoing damage will do that at least once, so you should come out even, with potential for more (depending on your luck). Against fire resistant creatures, your effect is next to useless, but then, the addition of thunder damage will help you against that.

However, I'm not too versed in 4E balance (it's pretty new and I haven't seen such high level characters in play!), so I could be off. But it feels in line with the previous meteor swarm, but better and with stronger emphasis on being a spell used by controllers.

Cheers, LT.

FireLance

Legend
I suppose the key question is: why thunder? I think the secondary damage type should be weapon, or whatever damage type is most appropriate for what are essentially falling rocks.

Otherwise, I like your version better than the one in the book. :)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Two things:

1/ Split damage is weaker in 4e than straight up, single-type damage.

2/ The original spell had four orbs which you could aim to deal extra damage to a few specific foes. I'd put that back in if I wanted to improve the spell.

Meteor Swarm
A hail of fiery orbs rains down and scatters you foes with tremendous explosions.
Daily • Arcane, Implement; Fire or Thunder
Standard Action • Ranged 20
Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence thunder damage, and you may push the target up to 1 square per point of your Wisdom bonus.
Effect: 5 square burst centered on the primary target.
Secondary Targets: Each creature in blast.
Secondary Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Secondary Hit: 6d8 + Intelligence modifier fire damage, and 10 ongoing fire damage (save ends).
Secondary Miss: Half damage and no ongoing damage.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads