• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Antimagic Field vs. itself

paranoid

Ever noticed that by very literal reading of the AMF spell, it actually supresses itself?
SRD said:
it prevents the functioning of any magic items or spells within its confines
AMF is a spell isn't it? So it is supressed, unless:
SRD said:
Certain spells, such as wall of force, prismatic sphere, and prismatic wall, remain unaffected by antimagic field
Sadly, AMF is not mentioned... only a section later on about a second AMF not intervening with the first one.

I know, I'm splitting hairs here, but as written, it's not correct :p

jarlaxlecq

First Post
paranoid said:
Ever noticed that by very literal reading of the AMF spell, it actually supresses itself?
AMF is a spell isn't it? So it is supressed, unless:
Sadly, AMF is not mentioned... only a section later on about a second AMF not intervening with the first one.

If there spelled out every spell, going into such dept explaining each one the spell section of the book would be 3 times as long. Anti magic is just that, ANTI magic, like matter and anti matter.

Li Shenron

Legend
paranoid said:

It could be the case only if you cast another AMF when you are already inside the are of the first. Let's say your friend (caster A) casts AMD, and while inside the area you (caster B) cast another AMD: the second spell is cast normally but its effects are suppressed. Then you move out of A's area by 1 feet and suddenly B's AMD becomes active and doesn't get suppressed again if you move back close to A.

Mah, not a big difference, you could simply trust the line about two AMD to include the case and simply let B work even when cast close to A. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads