• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Antimagic shell (I know, I know ...)

JLXC

First Post
evileeyore said:

I have a spell called Zone of Speed (Book of Eldritch Might). It is a 20' diameter that when cast I set the maximum speed allowed within it. I have Widen Spell, so it is a 30' diameter (15' radius). Thus I could cast this spell, set the speed to say 1'/round, then AMF (10' raduis). Nothing could reach me physically, and no spells could touch me. If I really need to escape I step into the Zone and cast Dimension Door. Top that cheese.

That spell is the worst cheese. If your DM allows it he or she is pathetic. That is almost as broken as Miasma from MoTW. Yes I own BoEM. It's still broken and stupid making it nearly impossible to fight a spellcaster in a hallway. Using that spell says bad things about your ability to play fair. Hopefully the DM uses stupid broken spells with no save on PC's as well.

evileeyore

Mrrrph
Actually he does. He saw this spell in my line up and was drooling. Of course as a Sorceror I am very limited in my spell choices (I am using MCooke's Sorceror). And how is it cheese?

Heck there are 3-4 of us (out of 6 pcs) that are completely immune to Zone of Speed (the cleric has an SR of 17 and FoM, I have DDoor, the druid has FoM, the monk is closing on Abundant Step, our bard/shadowdancer has Blink and is closing on ShadowStep, the rogue/assassin he's screwed unless he gets better at UMD and gets a wand of FoM/Blink/DDoor...)

As long as spells work the same way for the villians as well as the pcs it ain't cheese. Just tonite my Sorceror cast Dimension Door 3 times in the same combat, twice just to move 50'...

And no Zones of Speed were not dropped, I just didn't feel like walking the 50'... (I had boots of Haste active, and no reason to cast more than one attack spell per round)

Heck we get hit by weird spells all the time. As players we don't really have time to read up on every spell out there. So when one of us is hit by a Condemn (Relics and Rituals) and the casters can't identify it off hand, well we learn the hard way.

And damn it sometimes you need spells that don't allow for saves. Are all saveless spells broken?

Hell No.

Ice Storm. For the longest time in our first campaign I hated this spell. My elven rogue got swatted with it left, right, and center. Did I think it was broken? No. Did I have a Reflex save better than a 8+ from day one. Yes. Did I live in fear of Will saves? Yes. Did I ever got Dominated? Yes.

Any save spell. Did my dwarven monk in our second campign fear them? No. Did he have saves of 8+ across the board and great HP from day one? Yes. Did he fear saveless spells. No. Did he learn too? Hell yeah!

'Saveless spells' are some of the most useless spells in most occasions. But they shine when they have their moment.

Ice Storm. Does 5d6 dam. Period. Doesn't scale. After the Rogue gets Prot Elements cast on him, all he fears is the 3d6 blunt trauma. Did it still scare the shiznay out of my Rogue 12/Wiz 1 Elf? Yup. Especially when an invisible, hasted, flying mage was casting it twice a round.

Zone of Speed. Does it stop 10th levels NPCs? It shouldn't. Does it stop/slow their minions? When I place a handful of them properly, yup.

Is it unfair? Bah. That question isn't worth my time.

Your assumption it says bad things about my ability to play fair?

Well I have nothing nice to say about you either. :rolleyes:

TTFN

PS: The rest of this note is for the non-JLXC readers. I included mentions of Ice Storm repeatedly as it is a wonderful non-save spell. I in no way condone the dissing of Ice Storm. In fact i encourage its creative use amongst the DMing populace to badger poor rogues into ground. :D

Last edited:

Death

First Post
What about creatures with damage reduction X/+3 or higher in antimagic field. How can you kill them, when your weapon is just MW?

hong

WotC's bitch
Death said:
What about creatures with damage reduction X/+3 or higher in antimagic field. How can you kill them, when your weapon is just MW?

DR is a supernatural ability, and thus also goes away in an AMF. (The barbarian's DR is an exception to the rule.)

Lothanion

First Post
DR is a supernatural ability, and thus also goes away in an AMF. (The barbarian's DR is an exception to the rule.)

I stand corrected (although it still cannot be a bad idea to hit your opponent very, very hard).

Ain't 3e beautiful?

Say, Hong, where in Australia are you at?

Gromm

First Post
JLXC said:
This thread is Priceless!!!!! :)

People arguing that a person can cast spells from Within an Anti-Magic Field. snicker.

People are discussing the response of the Sage in Dragon magazine where he says you CAN in fact cast spells out of an antimagic field. Snicker all you want he said it and the spell does not say spellcasting is impossible within the AMF.

I've personally always thought that was the intent of the spell, but apparently not. Which of course brings up another issue thats been bugging me: What good is a Beholder's central eye now? If I suppress magic within a cone, I just shielded my target from all my eye stalks while allowing him to cast fire balls and the like behind me with no penalty.

It doesn't add up to me, but I can't find anything that says spells can't be cast out of an AMF. Only that they are supressed within the field and take effect as normal outside it.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Gromm said:

People are discussing the response of the Sage in Dragon magazine where he says you CAN in fact cast spells out of an antimagic field. Snicker all you want he said it and the spell does not say spellcasting is impossible within the AMF.

Actually, he never says that you can cast spells out of an antimagic field.

He says that the antimagic field does not prevent spellcasting, it merely suppresses any magical effects within it.

So you can cast any spells you want, they are just instantly suppressed.

Also, as The Sage stated earlier, Anti-Magic will block line of effect, so you can't target anything outside the Anti-magic field if you are within it.

This means any instantaneous spells are effectively negated.

Basically, you can cast spells on yourself and have them become active when you leave the Antimagic field. (Although any time you spend within the anti-magic field will count against their duration.)

I've personally always thought that was the intent of the spell, but apparently not. Which of course brings up another issue thats been bugging me: What good is a Beholder's central eye now? If I suppress magic within a cone, I just shielded my target from all my eye stalks while allowing him to cast fire balls and the like behind me with no penalty.

It doesn't add up to me, but I can't find anything that says spells can't be cast out of an AMF. Only that they are supressed within the field and take effect as normal outside it.

You are forgetting that an AMF field also blocks line of effect, so you can't target anything through the field. (As also stated by the Sage, and also included in the D&D FAQ.)

Gromm

First Post
Ah, thats what I thought, but the Dragon response seemed to indicate otherwise (ie AMF is a super Globe of Inv).
So it does block line of effect then?
That makes a huge difference. Certainly a big enough difference to have been mentioned in the response. The more I think about his response, the more I wonder why he wrote it at all. Its just confusing and doesn't really seem to have a point.

AGGEMAM

First Post
JLXC said:
People arguing that a person can cast spells from Within an Anti-Magic Field.

You can cast all spells you want within a AMF, read the spell description.

People arguing that Boots of S&S double Flight movement.

The fly spell grants you a fly speed that is just a natural as having wings, read the fly spell.

And Boot of S&S is a magical item that grants a continious expeditious retreat spell on you, read the spell and the magic item description and compare.

Expeditious retreat spell doubles all normal movement, ie everything which listed as <movement type> speed, that includes the fly speed granted by the fly spell.

1. You cannot cast spells within an Anti-Magic Area. Why? If I have to answer this you could not understand.

Read the rules, learn them, and wise up.

2. Boots of S&S, the ultimate munchkin toy. Let me tell you that this item does not double Flight speed, or stack with Expeditious Retreat

A bonus from a spell cannot stack with bonus granted from the same spell.

Then let's go onto a board where people who actually have read the rules go and try to fool them with my make believe rules! DARN IT! They figured it out!

Yep, we figured you haven't read them, the rules that is.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads