• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any fans of the Hero System on this site? or The reports of Hero's death have been greatly exaggerated!

Thanks for the heads up Hyper-man.
Fantasy has always been a favorite of my HERO choices (all my articles for Digital Hero were fantasy).
I'll jump into that at the 10 level at least. That would put me at three active Kickstarters at once... Mythic Mania, What's OLD is NEW, and this.

I play HERO every week - superheroes.

But we use a Frankenstein creation that merges 5th and 6th*, with some bit from 4th thrown in.

* we have the no figured stats, but we keep comeliness and ECs. We use a number of powers and advantages from 6E, but keep movement in inches.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
But why wait?

Please correct me if am wrong but my understanding of Kickstarters in general is that if you make a pledge and it somehow doesn't reach the minimum funding goal it doesn't cost you anything.
That's correct. If the pledges don't hit the goal, everything is refunded.

With that said, there have been more than a few Kickstarters that have funded, but taken years to deliver. I am more than a little hesitant to back RPG Kickstarters from new companies, or some long-standing ones that have trouble delivering.

With HERO this has not been the case: they have done several of them, and they've all shipped.

As far as picking up the book through traditional distribution channels, you will likely be able to get the book if you do so right away. I missed the Champions Complete Kickstarter, and my FLGS wasn't able to get me the book when I heard about it a few months later, so I had to do an Amazon order.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
But why wait?

Please correct me if am wrong but my understanding of Kickstarters in general is that if you make a pledge and it somehow doesn't reach the minimum funding goal it doesn't cost you anything.

While I have no problem buying or donating money in the here & now, I almost never pledge money to any person, cause, or institution. I simply don't do it.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I didn't know HERO Games had opted for a Kickstarter. In fact last I heard they were kinda against the idea. But now I know that they are Kickstarting I will jump in and back this.

shuddemell

First Post
Hero Players Unite!

Howdy Hyperman!

Good to see you over from Hero... I just opened an account here... mainly due to the wasteland that rpg.net has become. But in any case HERO PLAYERS UNITE!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's correct. If the pledges don't hit the goal, everything is refunded.

Not quite. If the goal isn't reached, the payments aren't made in the first place. Kickstarter processes the pledges *after* the campaign ends if it has reached its funding goal. If not, nothing happens.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Not quite. If the goal isn't reached, the payments aren't made in the first place. Kickstarter processes the pledges *after* the campaign ends if it has reached its funding goal. If not, nothing happens.
Of course you're totally correct. I think I was over-simplifying things waaaay too much. If it doesn't fund, no charge at all... you get the charge for the Kickstarter only after it closes and has hit the target.

There was one project I backed that had so many people back out at the last minute that it actually failed. You can have some interesting stuff occurring at the very end of these things.

It looks like this one will succeed, but not with a huge mandate. And Michael Surbrook is writing it, so I expect it will be quite good.

carmachu

Adventurer
Loved HERO system. played a lot of 4th. Unfortunately picked up a bunch of stuff to play again and not sure how to run it anymore.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads