• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any fans of the Hero System on this site? or The reports of Hero's death have been greatly exaggerated!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Any fans of the Hero System on this site? (The reports of Hero's death have been greatly exaggerated!)

One measure of a game is it's ability to generate conversations outside it's creator's house (my own fledgling efforts included)

So rather than discuss the level if discussion, start discussing the game!

Hyper-Man

First Post
One measure of a game is it's ability to generate conversations outside it's creator's house (my own fledgling efforts included)

So rather than discuss the level if discussion, start discussing the game!

Ok.

What's your favorite and least favorite things about Hero System?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Any fans of the Hero System on this site? (The reports of Hero's death have b...

Ok.

What's your favorite and least favorite things about Hero System?

In my personal opinion, it would be more productive to see less general and more specific threads about the system. With luck folks would catch on. Ask a question, or suggest some ideas.

Nobody ever answers "talk about X for me and dance!" threads. You need to inject something specific initially. :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Favorite thing: flexibility. I've tried over 100 different RPG systems, and haven't found one more robust in its ability to handle different genres, character building styles, and so forth. I've even used it to do a mashup of multiple editions of D&D.

Least favorite thing: prep time. No way around it- stating out NPCs can take an eternity.

Hyper-Man

First Post
In my personal opinion, it would be more productive to see less general and more specific threads about the system. With luck folks would catch on. Ask a question, or suggest some ideas.

Nobody ever answers "talk about X for me and dance!" threads. You need to inject something specific initially. :)

I understand what you mean. Asking a question about a system is usually the best way to get a response from a lot of posters. However, I am usually one of the ones answering on other forums. Doing that here would imply that I'm noob. However, I am not a noob to Hero, just to this site. For now I'm just testing the waters and trying to meet the 10 post minimum in an acceptable manner.

Hyper-Man

First Post
Favorite thing: flexibility. I've tried over 100 different RPG systems, and haven't found one more robust in its ability to handle different genres, character building styles, and so forth. I've even used it to do a mashup of multiple editions of D&D.

Least favorite thing: prep time. No way around it- stating out NPCs can take an eternity.

Are you in any active games currently and do you have a favorite genre?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
No overwhelming favorite genres, but I really haven't gotten enough supers or Sci-Fi gaming.

Even though I have a rarely complete collection of the books across all editions (except Fuzion), I haven't been a part of an active HERO campaign since 4th.

My current group- aming together since 1996 or so- simply isn't interested in it.

Sad, too. My best EVER campaign was run in HERO. That was a supers game using the Space:1889 campaign setting. When I tried to resurrect & update it to 1914 for my current group using Mutants & Masterminds (thinking the D20 rules would be more familiar to guys used to playing 3.X Ed D&D), it flopped. Less buy-in by the players, certain mechanics not having the right "feel", and probably some failures on my part.

And I currently have some notes on running a fantasy campaign in Dominaria (the M:tG setting). Biggest challenge so far: figuring out how to make slivers work right. Figuring out a "color-coded" mana system was also kind of tricky, but I think I have it sussed out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads