Shadow of the Weird Wizard Is Finally Here!

Long anticipated, it’s here! You can grab the PDF from DriveThruRPG. In fact, it has hit the #1 spot on the site. By Rob Schawlb, SotWW is the sequel to Shadow of the Demon Lord and presents a more family friendly version of the game system. https://www.youtube.com/live/Hl_Rev4jtGs?si=BPBnqnvZ_oA9PyKD Shadow of the Weird Wizard® is a fantasy roleplaying game in which you and your friends...

Long anticipated, it’s here! You can grab the PDF from DriveThruRPG. In fact, it has hit the #1 spot on the site.

IMG_2925.png

By Rob Schawlb, SotWW is the sequel to Shadow of the Demon Lord and presents a more family friendly version of the game system.

Shadow of the Weird Wizard® is a fantasy roleplaying game in which you and your friends assume the roles of characters who explore the borderlands and make them safe for the refugees escaping the doom that has befallen the old country. Unsafe are these lands: the Weird Wizard released monsters to roam the countryside, cruel faeries haunt the shadows, undead drag themselves free from their tombs, and ancient evils stir once more. If the displaced people would rebuild their lives, they need heroes to protect them. A brand new game built using the system powering Shadow of the Demon Lord, this game gives you everything you need for you and your friends to champion the innocent, to brave grave dangers, and right terrible wrongs, all while exploring the wild frontier of the borderlands!

Some saw him as a mad sorcerer who commanded eldritch powers of staggering might. As proof, one only has to look at all the abominations he set loose in the lands—the hybrid beasts, the multilegged hulking collectors, floating eyes that hang in the air trailing their nerve endings. And then, far, far beyond the edges of the new lands rose the walls of the Forbidden City and the clockwork peoples who dwelled there in seeming servitude to the dread mage who ruled over all he surveyed.

But the Weird Wizard is gone. His shadow remains, but the figure casting it disappeared and none, not even his closest servants, know where he went. It might be coincidence that his absence preceded the bloody civil war that tore the Great Kingdom apart and that precipitated the violent struggle between the other nations in the west, or the Weird Wizard might have had some stabilizing influence that enabled civilization to flourish once more following a far older, nastier decline. Too, he could have been the source of the conflict and abandoned the world to its fate.

Either way, the instability sends people by the thousands spilling into the borderlands. As this territory grows more and more crowded, refugees are looking to the east to make their homes. The first forays into the strange place have ended with disappearances and death, and the few people who have returned carry tales of hostile inhabitants, cruel faeries, and hideous, ravenous monsters. If the new lands would be tamed, there must be peace with the inhabitants.

Such efforts demand heroes. Luckily, there might just be a few around. This book shows you how to make a hero who can meet and triumph over the greatest challenges of exploring a world that stands in the shadow of a Weird Wizard.

Thomas Shey

Legend
The one thing I'm a little grumpy about is that SotDL had some pretty good support for a shield-focused fighter in terms of having relevant base, expert and master classes, but I'm not seeing anything like that in SotWW so far.

Scarlet.Knight

Explorer
I don't get the hate or the harsh words. Backed Shadow of the Demon Lord. Backed this one as well. SOTWW is tighter, the system still gritty ish but nothing like SOTDL. Sleek design. Familiar enough yet different and simple. Tons of character paths to build the exact character you want to. I think it is almost like a SOTDL 2nd ed, or 1.5. I really like it. I moved away from fantasy rpgs a while back, but this one is making me consider coming back.

Yeah, we're missing the DM's part of the game, but it's coming. Some issues with the layout and some typos are already fixed. The guy is a machine but he has many moving pieces to deal with. He's always delivered on his KSs, usually way ahead of schedule.

Seriously, some of the criticism might be somewhat legitimate, but it really feels like some people like to complain for the sake of complaining.

(1 star guy, if you're reading this, please find a new hobby. You stench our community with your negativity)

Thomas Shey

Legend
I've seen people in other contexts who rated things 1 star who clearly just had a serious tic about a particular feature/flaw of the product. Often ones that most people would care about far less or not at all.

(The first laptop I ever got was marked down two stars in someone's review because the locking mechanism when you closed the lid made a pronounced "click" sound.)

Remove ads

Remove ads