• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

Any good sandbox module published?

MockingBird

Explorer
Tomb of Annihilation is pretty good. It comes with a nice sized map with hexses. The main story can easily be ripped out and just use the locations. It's a jungle terrain but I guess you could just as easily say it's an old hardwood forest. Running it now and it has some cool encounters, random and written.

CapnZapp

Adventurer
The 1st two Kingmaker adventures are quite good, it breaks down a bit after that. Stolen Lands for pt 1 the other one I can't recall off the top of my head.

They're also easy to convert to D&D.
Thanks.

However, I fear the computer game has spoiled that particular suggestion.

(Haven't played it myself, but at least two of my potential players have)

CapnZapp

Adventurer
I'm a fan of the Varisia region. That's probably the most sandboxy area of the game apart from the Riverlands (see Zardnaar's suggestion). Set Sandpoint as the initial homebase. The town of Sandpoint is well-documented and profiled. There are six adventure paths that deal with this region: Rise of the Runelords, Curse of the Crimson Throne, Second Darkness, Jade Regent (though it leads to polar journey north to Golarion-Asia), Shattered Star, and Return of the Runelords. You can ignore the adventures entirely, but purely pull plothooks and issues from these paths.
Interesting.

Aebir-Toril

Explorer
My advice is to combine multiple (at least five) different sandbox modules together to create a huge map to explore.

Like others, I recommend Kingmaker.

Tomb of Annihilation is a surprisingly good small sandbox.

As for Pathfinder modules, it's difficult to find many good ones.

I recommend 12TM Skinwalker for Savage Worlds, it has a plot, but that's easily discarded.

Add a bunch of "one page dungeons", you can get them for free online in massive quantities.

Aebir-Toril

Explorer
Start your own thread!
You don't own threads that you start.
[MENTION=4937]Celebrim[/MENTION] was just making a point, and it's not your place to ban people from threads. You are allowed to post on ENWorld because everyone is allowed to post on ENWorld. It's not your prerogative to say whether or not people can participate, and it's not "thread crapping" to write an analysis that, in my opinion, did not exactly derail the thread.

How would you like to be banned from a thread for disagreeing with a premise the OP posted?

CapnZapp

Adventurer
Like others, I recommend Kingmaker.

Tomb of Annihilation is a surprisingly good small sandbox.

As for Pathfinder modules, it's difficult to find many good ones.

I recommend 12TM Skinwalker for Savage Worlds, it has a plot, but that's easily discarded.
Official 5E modules I have a handle on. Kingmaker is out because of the computer game.

Thanks.

CapnZapp

Adventurer
Any other suggestions...?

Vault of Larin Karr is a perfect example of what I want. A nice-enough map, pebuilt encounters, some threads linking it all together... Only trouble - I've run it already! :)

So... despite having a wealth of adventure material for Pathfinder, very little of it is sandbox like?

Aldarc

Adventurer
Any other suggestions...?

Vault of Larin Karr is a perfect example of what I want. A nice-enough map, pebuilt encounters, some threads linking it all together... Only trouble - I've run it already! :)
If Vault of Larin Karr is a perfect example, then I would recommend looking up other materials by Bill Webb, who founded Frog God Games. Frog God Games has made materials for Pathfinder, so you will likely find similar products there. They even have a series called Hex Crawl Chronicles. But a cursory glance through their products reveals a lot of titles that potentially sound up your alley.

So... despite having a wealth of adventure material for Pathfinder, very little of it is sandbox like?
Paizo's MO for Pathfinder are their level 1 to ~18 adventure paths, which tend to be fairly linear.

Aldarc

Adventurer
Sure, but maybe there were 3PP sandboxes...
You may be writing up a reply now. I'm not sure. I know that you sometimes split up responses to posts. However, I did link to some products by Frog God Games that likely are sandboxes. I hope that helps.

James Jacobs

Explorer
I feel like the closest thing we've published at Paizo to an actual sandbox "adventure" isn't an adventure at all, but a book like "Sandpoint," which presents a region in great detail, offers lots of advice on how a campaign might develop, has lots of adventure hooks, map support for locations, and a lot of NPC stat blocks. Combine this with the numerous adventures we've set in the area (Burnt Offerings, Skinsaw Murders, and The Brinewall Legacy all come to mind off the top of my head) and there's a LOT of info out there for someone who wants to do a full-on sandbox campaign in the Sandpoint area.

You won't find this book, or other similar books, in our Adventure Path or Module lines though, since our adventures focus strongly on story and not regions. If you're eager to run a sandbox game, the best solution is to have at your disposal a large number of related adventures or a campaign setting style product.

CapnZapp

Adventurer
Of course the Paizo sandbox is called Sand- something :D

The Sandbox Sandpoint Hinterlands seems very promising. I even found this:
wVawP2o.jpg
Sauce: https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/1z7gvl
(I couldn't immediately find a version of the official Hinter map without the rather busy overlay of roads and towns.)

Edit: After having spent some time with the product, I must say the early impression was the best. I remain committed to using it, but the coverage of the Hinterlands is sketchy at best. In short, there's enough material to occupy first-level heroes that stay in town, but very soon the GM should expect to create material of his own (or reuse from other adventures): mainly detailed encounter maps, but also more NPCs, events and quests.

Last edited:

Aldarc

Adventurer
Of course the Paizo sandbox is called Sand- something :D
(1) I did mention Sandpoint in my first post, and what I suggested was similar to what [MENTION=23937]James Jacobs[/MENTION] recommended.

(2) I believe that [MENTION=23937]James Jacobs[/MENTION] had said that Sandpoint was actually a reference to his coastal hometown: Point Arena (Punta Arenas), California. That it is the most sandbox area is more coincidence than anything else.

The Sandbox Sandpoint Hinterlands seems very promising. I even found this:
There are so many official and fan maps of Sandpoint, the Hinterlands, and Varisia that I would not have any idea where to begin. (Okay, probably the Sandpoint book that James Jacobs recommended.) There are maps that label buildings, npcs, and underground dungeons.

CapnZapp

Adventurer
I'm a fan of the Varisia region. That's probably the most sandboxy area of the game apart from the Riverlands (see Zardnaar's suggestion). Set Sandpoint as the initial homebase. The town of Sandpoint is well-documented and profiled. There are six adventure paths that deal with this region: Rise of the Runelords, Curse of the Crimson Throne, Second Darkness, Jade Regent (though it leads to polar journey north to Golarion-Asia), Shattered Star, and Return of the Runelords. You can ignore the adventures entirely, but purely pull plothooks and issues from these paths.
Rereading this now I kind of see why I glossed over the recommendation the first time. This post doesn't say "Sandpoint is a good sandbox", it suggests reading up on a whole region, and multiple sourcebooks.

I really was looking for a one-stop shop.

Thanks for making an effort to help out Aldarc

Aldarc

Adventurer
I feel like the closest thing we've published at Paizo to an actual sandbox "adventure" isn't an adventure at all, but a book like "Sandpoint," which presents a region in great detail, offers lots of advice on how a campaign might develop, has lots of adventure hooks, map support for locations, and a lot of NPC stat blocks. Combine this with the numerous adventures we've set in the area (Burnt Offerings, Skinsaw Murders, and The Brinewall Legacy all come to mind off the top of my head) and there's a LOT of info out there for someone who wants to do a full-on sandbox campaign in the Sandpoint area.

You won't find this book, or other similar books, in our Adventure Path or Module lines though, since our adventures focus strongly on story and not regions. If you're eager to run a sandbox game, the best solution is to have at your disposal a large number of related adventures or a campaign setting style product.
Have you considered using an updated Sandpoint as a sandbox for PF2? You have already run several adventures in that area. But what if you made a boxed sandbox PF2 module for Sandpoint? Something that lets players and GMs explore the changed region more freely. Given the recent shake-ups in the region, a revisit to Sandpoint in this new PF2 era would certainly be interesting.

James Jacobs

Explorer
I'm nowhere close to being done with chattering about Sandpoint. The original outline I created for the Sandpoint book was, as it worked out, a 320 page book that had a LOT More sandboxy feel to it, including about 200 pages of short adventures from 1st to 10th level, ranging from dungeons to wilderness to political to urban themed. Alas... folks decided instead to do other hardcovers and I had to rebuild the book as a 96 page book.

So yeah, there's certainly hundreds of pages in my head still to go on the topic, and doing a big Sandpoint sandbox adventure thingy that'd supplement the 96 page book (which apart from the stat blocks is pretty edition neutral) is something I'd love to do at some point...

Advertisement