• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Any Great 5e One-Offs people would reccomend?

I'm a big fan of going to kobold.com and hitting "Random Encounter" until something strikes my fancy, then extrapolating from there. "Hmmm, Basilisk and two Rhinoceroses... why would they be hanging out together? Maybe the rhinos' poor vision protects them from the basilisk gaze. Yeah, let's go further. There's a clan of dwarves who raise rhino cavalry, but there's a weretiger clan who's been rustling their rhinos for meat, and storing them in a cave--but they didn't realize that the cave was actually a basilisk cave, so now they can't get the rhinos back out."

I would recommend either:

1) Fey Sisters' Fate by Goodman Games ($7 for PDF); or
2) Bandits' Nest by Dan Coleman Productions (pay what you want PDF).

Both are excellent 1st level one shots available from RPGNow.com. Fey Sisters' Fate is a bit long for one session, but has some "filler" encounters that you could cut.

Unwise

Adventurer
I can recommend the Ravenloft one, it was quiet good.

There is something to be said for playing to the strengths of a one-shot though. PC deaths and betrayal are good options. You could run a Tomb of Horrors style game, like Revenge of the Iron Lich from 4e 4thcore. It would take minimal conversion. It is designed for tournament play and is really deadly.

Another option is to go the horror route, Dread has a lot of small adventures available, you could use some of those, especially the ones where one PC becomes a werewolf or is the murderer. Those are a nice break for one-shots, where you normally don't use betrayal, death and PvP in a continuous game.

Daern

Explorer
DCC dungeons work great. I ran "The Jeweler Who Dealt in Stardust" as a 3 hour session of 5e and it went really well.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'm not sure there are any 5e one-shot adventures! Certainly, WotC's published adventures don't fit the bill, and I think even the third-party stuff is aimed at multiple sessions.

Dude, the ENTIRE Adventurers League Expeditions is one-shots. Out right now is DDEX2-1 City of Danger (5 one hour adventures linked together or simply taken as separate); DDEX2-2 Embers of Elmwood (4 hour adventure); DDEX2-3 The Drowned Tower (4 hour adventure); DDEX2-4 Mayhem in the Earthspur Mines (4 hour adventure); DDEX2-5 Flames of Kythorn (4 hour adventure); DDEX2-6 Breath of the Yellow Rose (4 hour adventure); DDEX2-7 Bounty in the Bog (4 hour adventure).

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads