• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any interest in Gamma World?

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
So, is anyone out there interested in Gamma World? Post-apocalyptic adventuring? Mutants galore?

If there's interest, I'll run a 4th edition game. You don't need to know the rules, just be interested and let me know if you want to play a Pure Strain Human, an Altered Human (mutant), a Mutated Animal, or a Sentient Plant. If you want an animal or plant, let me know what kind of animal or plant, and I'll get to work rolling the character for you. Don't worry, so much is so random that it's best just to let the dice get rolled and figure out from there what you want to be.

The game will start in the Walking Valley, a hot plain so named for its many earthquakes. The Tooli Wetlands are to the west, and beyond them, Diablo Island. The Serravad Mountains rise to huge heights to the east.

Shayuri

First Post
Augh!

Post Apocalypse!

I am -so- interested.

:)

I'd like a human scavenger sort, I think. Are mutations rolled, or do I have some input as to what sort I'd like?

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
The mutations are completely random; it's one of the defining characteristics of the system. The other possibility is to play a Pure Strain Human, which has no mutations, but a +3 bonus to Constitution, Intelligence, and Charisma, as well as bonuses for using artifacts and interacting with robots. So, if you want some stability, you can have it.

Shayuri

First Post
Nah, it's fine. I'll just wait and see what mutations I get before I go too deep into concept. That way I can incorporate them into the backstory and personality.

This is 4rth Edition Gamma World, eh? I wonder if I have the book for that. Was it a TSR edition, or did it come out after they folded?

jkason

First Post
So, is anyone out there interested in Gamma World? Post-apocalyptic adventuring? Mutants galore?

If there's interest, I'll run a 4th edition game. You don't need to know the rules, just be interested and let me know if you want to play a Pure Strain Human, an Altered Human (mutant), a Mutated Animal, or a Sentient Plant. If you want an animal or plant, let me know what kind of animal or plant, and I'll get to work rolling the character for you. Don't worry, so much is so random that it's best just to let the dice get rolled and figure out from there what you want to be.

I've never heard of it, but post-apocalypse sounds quite fun. Color me interested.

I'm assuming sentient plants can move and communicate and the like? If so, I'd be interested in being one of those. Maybe a cactus, since we're starting out in a hot environment? I've played prickly characters before, but never literally. ;)

jason

Lukeworm

First Post
Not familiar with the gamma world system but I’m willing to try it out. Is it based on d20 3x or some other system?

Can mutated animals use standard equipment or are they hampered by lack of hands?
If mutated animals are to restricted I’ll go with a mutated human instead.

P.S. Shayuri if I remember correctly we were at a Fallout pbp together here at ENWorld a couple of years ago, before a major site crash.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
GW 4th edition was introduced in 1992, and in many ways is halfway between 2e and 3e D&D.

Sentient plants and animals can move, handle equipment, talk, all the stuff you're looking for. But they don't have to if you don't want to--you can decide what you need after rolling for mutations.

So, we've got an Altered Human, a Sentient Cactus, and a Mutated Animal. I'll need a base animal stock, Lukeworm, then I'll get to work on that character.

Shayuri

First Post
(Here are Shayuri's rolls; will edit to explain what they mean)

4d6.takeHighest(3)=16, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=13, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=10, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=13, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=6, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=11

Physical Strength: 16
Dexterity: 13
Constitution: 10
Mental Strength: 13
Intelligence: 6
Charisma: 11

3d6=8

Senses: 8

1d6=2

2 physical, 3 mental mutations

1d100=77, 1d100=84, 1d100=47, 1d100=82, 1d100=81

Huh! Random everything, eh? Dang. I miss point buy already. :)

I don't suppose we could rearrange those?

Remove ads