Any old timers out there willing to help with a Master's thesis?

Greetings all. I am a long time gamer who started playing RPGs back in the 70's. I am currently working on a Master's thesis on D&D and other early RPGs from a different angle than some other academic projects in this area. I am looking to see if there are folks who began playing around 1978 or before who would be willing to share their early experiences with any RPG and discuss why they began and continued the hobby? Also, I would be grateful for anyone who would be willing to share additional demographic information that we can discuss later.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

I started in fall 1979 - will that do? I'm in the UK, and I know several people who have been playing for longer than me, who you might be able to enlist.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I am pretty sure I began with Tunnels and Trolls, 5th edition. That means probably 1979.

Philip Benz

A Dragontooth Grognard
I started in 1974, migrating from Chainmail to D&D. Later, when AD&D came out, our group switched to C&S (Chivalry and Sorcery). Then late in the 80s life took me away from RPGs for close to 20 years before I returned to DD3.5 via Neverwinter Nights in the early 2000s, then the new group migrated to PF1 around 2014. Now we've migrated to PF2.

Why I began in the hobby? I was an antisocial nerd teeneager, obsessed with reading, mostly fantasy and SF, especially Tolkien, and when I discovered a group of gamers at the U of Iowa student union, I was instantly hooked. D&D became a life choice, finally I had found a group of like-minded people to hang out with, and the escapist entertainment aspect of RPGs really filled a void.

Why did I continue - or in my case, return - to RPGs? Life choices gave me more free time, and in the early 2000s I finally decided to find fellow gamers in my region (central France) and get back into the hobby. Now we manage to play about once a month.

What else did you need to know, Stefan?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Personally, I was in middle school- @10-11 years old- and a lifelong fan of mythology, Sci-fi and fantasy fiction when I first heard of D&D. All I knew was that it was a game that let you play the same kinds of heroes I read about.

Then I saw that a hobbit-looking guy in my grade (whom I didn’t know) was forming a group, with games to be played in the school library. I asked permission to join, got it, and signed up. I bought a couple minis & a PHB, a set of purple dice, and showed up. Over the course of the next few weeks, we played several sessions, with the party ever dwindling as casualties mounted. My human fighter and the human wizard were the last two survivors, nearing the exit...and we encountered a purple worm. After the wizard cast his final magic missile, he was eaten when the DM rolled a 20 for the worm. The final round of combat was just my PC & the worm, each at 4hp or so, with simultaneous initiative. I missed, the worm hit.

TPK.

...but I was hooked. Creating adventures was every bit as much fun as reading them. Even when playing Traveller- the second RPG I learned to play- when I had a PC die in character generation, I enjoyed the story that was told by those (ultimately doomed) die rolls. Sure, it was a short story, but it was a good one.

Demographics: black male of multiracial ancestry. While I know other gamers of color, I’ve only gamed with 3 of them. Roman Catholic. Picked up the game as a member of the Middle Class. Over the past 40 years, I’ve played in 5 cities in 3 states. (Want to know more, ask.)

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I started playing in 1980, in case you have to expand your demographic range a bit.
High school; D&D, Gamma World, Traveller; tried Boot Hill, Star Frontiers, Ogre.

I started in 1974, migrating from Chainmail to D&D. Later, when AD&D came out, our group switched to C&S (Chivalry and Sorcery). Then late in the 80s life took me away from RPGs for close to 20 years before I returned to DD3.5 via Neverwinter Nights in the early 2000s, then the new group migrated to PF1 around 2014. Now we've migrated to PF2.

Why I began in the hobby? I was an antisocial nerd teeneager, obsessed with reading, mostly fantasy and SF, especially Tolkien, and when I discovered a group of gamers at the U of Iowa student union, I was instantly hooked. D&D became a life choice, finally I had found a group of like-minded people to hang out with, and the escapist entertainment aspect of RPGs really filled a void.

Why did I continue - or in my case, return - to RPGs? Life choices gave me more free time, and in the early 2000s I finally decided to find fellow gamers in my region (central France) and get back into the hobby. Now we manage to play about once a month.

What else did you need to know, Stefan?
Personally, I was in middle school- @10-11 years old- and a lifelong fan of mythology, Sci-fi and fantasy fiction when I first heard of D&D. All I knew was that it was a game that let you play the same kinds of heroes I read about.

Then I saw that a hobbit-looking guy in my grade (whom I didn’t know) was forming a group, with games to be played in the school library. I asked permission to join, got it, and signed up. I bought a couple minis & a PHB, a set of purple dice, and showed up. Over the course of the next few weeks, we played several sessions, with the party ever dwindling as casualties mounted. My human fighter and the human wizard were the last two survivors, nearing the exit...and we encountered a purple worm. After the wizard cast his final magic missile, he was eaten when the DM rolled a 20 for the worm. The final round of combat was just my PC & the worm, each at 4hp or so, with simultaneous initiative. I missed, the worm hit.

TPK.

...but I was hooked. Creating adventures was every bit as much fun as reading them. Even when playing Traveller- the second RPG I learned to play- when I had a PC die in character generation, I enjoyed the story that was told by those (ultimately doomed) die rolls. Sure, it was a short story, but it was a good one.

Demographics: black male of multiracial ancestry. While I know other gamers of color, I’ve only gamed with 3 of them. Roman Catholic. Picked up the game as a member of the Middle Class. Over the past 40 years, I’ve played in 5 cities in 3 states. (Want to know more, ask.)

Both of these are perfect. Thank You both.

everyone else who responded would fit, so if you'd be willing to answer the same questions in the OP that would be great.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases