Any science-fantasy fans?

Dark Rabbit

From the deepest rabbit hole.
Publisher
Long story short: I'm one of the team members behind the upcoming game based on the cult-classic graphic novel Thorgal (at least in Europe). There is a demo available in PDF via DTRPG (link). Two questions - do you know anything, or at least heard of the comic series? Second - are there many fans of science fantasy out there?

Thorgal is basically a tale about the extraterrestials stranded on Earth during the Viking Age. Two main themes of the story are fight against the destiny and fight for those close to you. The setting has a strong historic vibe, but with frequent fantasy/ sci fiction intrusions, so we are as likely to see a blaster in someone's hand as much as the dwarf from the underworlds.

I'm very curious whether you like this kind of setting or not?

Long story short: I'm one of the team members behind the upcoming game based on the cult-classic graphic novel Thorgal (at least in Europe). There is a demo available in PDF via DTRPG (link). Two questions - do you know anything, or at least heard of the comic series? Second - are there many fans of science fantasy out there?

Thorgal is basically a tale about the extraterrestials stranded on Earth during the Viking Age. Two main themes of the story are fight against the destiny and fight for those close to you. The setting has a strong historic vibe, but with frequent fantasy/ sci fiction intrusions, so we are as likely to see a blaster in someone's hand as much as the dwarf from the underworlds.

Back in the 80s, one of the players in my group introduced us to Thorgal (and Elric of Melnibone). No idea how he found out about them in the first place, but back then a lot of discovering new stuff was as simple as just "Oh, this book on the shelf looks cool."

Dark Rabbit

Publisher
Back in the 80s, one of the players in my group introduced us to Thorgal (and Elric of Melnibone). No idea how he found out about them in the first place, but back then a lot of discovering new stuff was as simple as just "Oh, this book on the shelf looks cool."
How did you like it back then?

Dark Rabbit

Publisher
Well, I find Star Wars to be Science Fantasy, and I've played a lot of Shadowrun in my day, so the genre is fine by me.
Yup, SW is definitely sci-fantasy, but tbh - disguised in all of the high tech wrapping (despite being set long time ago). I suggest having a look at Thorgal though - it is the other end of the same stick, with more fantasy and occasional hight tech stuff appearing.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I've been developing for Starfinder RPG, which is science fantasy. I'm probably more a fan of harder sci-fi, but since I'm publishing for Starfinder, I've been dipping my toe consistently in sci-fan. I'm okay with it, though not my pure preference, but I've been developing for it just the same. Sometimes I lean more science, sometimes I lean more fantasy, though definitely more science than first party (Paizo).

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Two questions - do you know anything, or at least heard of the comic series? Second - are there many fans of science fantasy out there?
Know nothing of Thorgal.

Struggling to think of sci-fantasy that works for me. Generally, swords vs. blasters never makes sense. Doom (id software) is alright, Aeon Flux leans toward fantasy. Oh, He-Man! Yeah!

But now I want to make swords versus blasters make sense, and I can do it in a paper/rock/scissors way. Three ways to fight: hand-held weapons, beam weapons, and psychic powers. Hand-held weapons beat beam weapons, generally, because they can cut through most armor while beam weapons can't. Beam weapons beat psionics because they have more range than psionics, and psions can't cover their heads. And psions beat hand-helds because they just mentally force the hand-helds to attack themselves. There, which wheel did I just reinvent? 40K?

Aldarc

Legend

Jein. I enjoy science fantasy a great deal; however, I steer well clear of (video and tabletop) games with vikings. At this point, whether fairly or not, a lot of viking-inspired stuff tends to raise a lot of various red flags for me.

My own tastes in science fantasy was influenced by the gonzo science-fantasy of 1980s cartoons, which was mostly done for the purpose of creating all sorts of weird and wacky toys more than anything else: e.g., Masters of the Universe, Thundercats, Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light, Thundarr the Barbarian, etc.

Dark Rabbit

Publisher
Jein. I enjoy science fantasy a great deal; however, I steer well clear of (video and tabletop) games with vikings. At this point, whether fairly or not, a lot of viking-inspired stuff tends to raise a lot of various red flags for me.

My own tastes in science fantasy was influenced by the gonzo science-fantasy of 1980s cartoons, which was mostly done for the purpose of creating all sorts of weird and wacky toys more than anything else: e.g., Masters of the Universe, Thundercats, Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light, Thundarr the Barbarian, etc.
Interesting - what are the main red flags you have in mind?

Ulfgeir

Hero
Haven't read the comic in question, but I have seen it. Would definetly be open to such a game, depending on the system.

As for Science Fantasy, well I love Shadowrun (the setting), John Carter...

Remove ads