Anybody using Threads yet?

AFAIK Microsoft only has it in association with Xbox and the gaming industry, so they're probably safe from that. But if Musk ends up being unable to use his pet domain name because Zuckerberg owns the trademark in social media, it'll be funny. The fact that our entertainment comes from seeing billionaires fight petty battles is cyberpunk dystopian-levels of sad, but that's pretty funny.
Wake Up Samurai GIF by Cyberpunk 2077

Ondath

Hero
I delved into the privacy policy of Threads, and while it's got some weirdly particular stuff in it (it wants to collect my sexual orientation and trade union membership...), apparently Instagram already collects these. The launch in the EU being delayed is due to the EU not allowing one company to combine data from multiple platforms, and Threads combining its data with Instagram seems to be the thing that's causing issues there.

But on the user side, it looks like if you already have an Instagram account, you already handed all the info you didn't want to give to Meta. Since I already have an Instagram, I think I will just open up a Threads account now. Twitter is becoming unbearable.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
What I find hilarious about instagram and places, is that it has to pick up on what my wife is looking at, so it's like Native American, and Native American women trying make-up, because the algorithm has given up on what a 50 something eastern european guy likes. :LOL:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Moved from the other thread:

So I woke up to a fresh crop of memes this morning.

1690402140242.png

Some of this seemed a bit over-the-top, so I had to look it up. (And besides: it's just generally good practice to verify everything you find online, especially if you intend to share it.) Here are the sources:

So the @twitter thing is out of date. And the Unicode thing and the Xvideo thing might be a little exaggerated, but they're not entirely wrong.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
As someone who uses Twitter for work, and has been on it for 15 years (and used to be one of the hated blue check folks, rather than the new group of hated blue checks), Twitter is becoming really bad. The technical glitches are embarrassing, but the content has gotten far meaner and the awfulness seems to be accelerating.

In his effort to get verified users not to be mean to him, Musk essentially spent billions of dollars to turn Twitter into Parler.

Remove ads