• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone around here read Samuel R. Delany {Dhalgren specifically}??

Mallus

Legend
He's teaching now at Temple here in Philly. My friend the adjunct English prof. runs into him every now and then in the elavator...

He's one of my favorite writers, SF or otherwise. I just saw a new edition his Nova in B&N. And I'm still picking my way through the lovely reissue of his postmodern {and I mean that in the best possible sense} magnum opus Dhalgren that I bought, oh, a year and a half ago.

IMHO, Dhalgren is one of the definitive works of later half of the 20th century. Its the only heavily metafictional book that isn't rooted in parody I've ever read. And in the way that's it's "about" the thrilling power of language/prose, the only things I can compare it to are the works of Nabokov.

So, anybody else dig this guy?

Capellan

Explorer
I'm a big fan of Dhalgren.

Delaney's work can be hard to find, here - I've only managed to track down a few of his other works (They Fly At Ciron; The Jewels of Aptor; The Towers of Toron). I did recently manage to track down a copy of Tales of Neveryon, though, so I am really looking forward to reading that.

It's been several years since I read Dhalgren ... I really ought to do so again, sometime soon.

Last edited:

Remove ads