D&D 5E Anyone else finding character advancement pretty dull?

Is 5e character advancement boring?

• Yes, extremely dull!

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • It's fine but not more than that

Votes: 74 40.2%
  • No, I love 5e character advancement

Votes: 82 44.6%
  • Something else

Votes: 9 4.9%

5ekyu

Hero
Now for a bit of subjective history.

After all, "compared to what" is often relevant when one asks how do you like something.

I have had the good fortune of running some of the same players since before Bonzo's co-star was president. Along the way we have had many others come and go or stay as players too.

So we have seen them play thru classes systems, non-classes complex point buy, simpler point buy, even more esoteric and even RPGs without any real advancement at all other than gear or status.

So, one of the reasons I moved to a classes system with level ups was during the last couple of complex and semi-complex point buy games (you earned a few xp each session - in those games **most of the players did not even spend any or almost none of their xp. **

Sure, one of the crunching maxes had his spent for weeks before it was scored and changed it at the last minute, but one never spent any and two others spent a few once in a blue moon.

So, part of that seems to be that the "gains of xp" were a bit costly to turn into advancement.

Did it cause problems? Well, only a little. By the end some lagged behind a bit but simply "played thru."

By moving to a classes system with a moderate (some might say even mid-high) build-fu factor I wanted to get to a mid point happy medium where the average players were interested when level up came - seeing obvious gains in day-to-day matters as well as a choice or two (without the gazillions of choices making advancement seem like work.)

But I also wanted to keep the cruncher interested with chargen and advancement he found interesting enough to fiddle with incessantly as he was want to do.

Did the switch succeed?

Yes!

Until he left us, the crunch kept crunching and minmaxing his path to 20 (or at least to 15ish as he realized most of the time the games wind down at 15 or so.)

Meanwhile the others now do get excited at level up time, add in their new stuff, make their choices. They also tend to stay on a more level field. Some look ahead a bit and so on, whatever they find as good balance. Most have at least a good idea of their next level.

So, the 5e advancement system I'm play has been seen to be "more interesting" or "less dull" than quite a few advancement systems that we have had considerably more playtime in.

It meet my goals with the transition 100%.

Not to be confused with saying it's perfect, but it hit the target I was aiming for bullseye in the "make advancement process interest the players" department.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Um... :blush:

Yes, sorry, that's my bad. When counting subclasses I was in the habit of (a) not counting anything setting-specific, and (b) counting them individually by class. So my count was at something like 3 in supplemental material.

Of course, the more sensible way to count the subclasses is, well, to count the subclasses, by which measure there are a lot more (though still relatively few compared with the options in 3e and 4e).

Anyway, sorry about that!

Heh, no worries. It does seem with the Ravnica book that they are providing options that will tempt people to pick up the book for PC options as much as for the setting material. With XGtE being so successful, I wouldn't be surprised if they did another similar book, as MToF followed VGtM within a year and a half.

Certainly nothing like the throwing options at the wall and seeing what sticks approach of 3.x, truly, only providing options that enough people actually want does slow things down significantly.

Sadras

Legend
I think for me the moment was when I finally got around to playing Shadow of the Demon Lord and during play something just clicked in me that made me go "This is everything I have wanted D&D to be"... Well except maybe in the fluff department and some other odds and ins but eh 6 out of 7 aint bad

I looked at it - it looks pretty amazing.
Out of interest what do you mean by in the fluff department?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Vanilla ice cream is by far the best selling flavour of ice cream, yet there aren't too many people who would list it as their favourite. It has two great selling points - firstly, it's a wonderful common ground (group A likes rocky road but not mint choc chip; group B likes mint choc chip... they compromise on vanilla because while it's not their favourite they don't mind it); secondly, it's a really good base for adding other flavours.

D&D 5e of course has a third great selling point - it's much easier to find a group playing D&D than any other RPG. And, indeed, it's much easier to find a group playing 5e than any other edition.

Actually, Vanilla is tied with Chocolate for favorite flavor at 23%:

http://m.rasmussenreports.com/publi...colate_top_list_of_favorite_ice_cream_flavors

5E is more like Vanilla plus Chocolate, in RPG preference terms.

Mercule

Adventurer
"Something else".

For level-based advancement, I think 5E is pretty good. It's not the super-busy overload of 3.5, but there are no "dead levels", like AD&D (which I, personally, never minded, but totally understand the issue). If I have any complaint, it's that the levels go by too quickly to actually settle into them. By the numbers, it seems that the PCs are getting new abilities before the players figure out how to best use the ones they have.

Which touches on what my real issue with D&D advancement -- levels are too large grain. I much prefer some sort of character point system where you might get a single skill/ability/whatever bump every session or two, rather than the stair-step every 4-6 sessions.

delericho

Legend
That gives a plausible reason.

It does not give *anything* like support. "This *sounds* true, so it is," is not a particularly strong position.

It's probably lucky that that's not my position, then.

I don't pretend to know why 5e is so hugely popular. I doubt anyone truly knows, with the possible exception of WotC.

My best guess is that there almost certainly isn't any one single reason - a lot of things seem to have come together just right for this product at this time. But even that is speculation.

5ekyu

Hero
Actually, Vanilla is tied with Chocolate for favorite flavor at 23%:

http://m.rasmussenreports.com/publi...colate_top_list_of_favorite_ice_cream_flavors

5E is more like Vanilla plus Chocolate, in RPG preference terms.

Which also gets at another issue of "populairty" in the "popularity vs quality" false dichotomy religions...

part of the reason say vanilla and chocolate are so popular as opposed to say mint chocolate chip and rocky road or a lot of more complex tastes is that these more basic flavors lend themselves to so many uses other than just "eating ice cream".

You dont see many cases of "i will have the apple pie (or peach cobbler) with a scoop of mint chocolate chip". (Cinnamon ice cream maybe gets the second nod there but frankly i don't think i have ever seen CinIC outside of "side of pie" role.) Scoop of chocolate on top of brownie and under fudge... vast majority of sundaes... etc - tend to more often by a wide margin favor the ice cream being mostly a one-note item because you typically don't want a multi-faceted ice cream there to overshadow the rest of the combo goodness.

As far as popular is concerned "good enough and easily versatile in scope" is often better than "great but limited niche."

Remove ads