D&D 5E Anyone else finding character advancement pretty dull?

Is 5e character advancement boring?

• Yes, extremely dull!

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • It's fine but not more than that

Votes: 74 40.2%
  • No, I love 5e character advancement

Votes: 82 44.6%
  • Something else

Votes: 9 4.9%

Satyrn

First Post
And I want a pony!

Play a different game, then. Uh, this one specifically:

e50.jpg

ad_hoc

(they/them)
My biggest issue is that Levels in DnD can make a MAJOR difference or no real difference at all.

- Either you get something entirely new with awsome powers
- Or "all" you get is just another hit die

I prefer systems with smoother progression.

Changing tiers makes a huge difference. Progression in each tier is pretty smooth as far as a system with levels goes.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Being a long time player (40 years) role playing growth of the PC is important to me. Every PC has a background and backstory and motivation different from all others, and plenty of things to do during downtime.

The goals and motivations are a great addition, although ignored by many who see the PC through the video game lens, where it’s all about advancement in concrete, identifiable ways and finding gear to make you better.

What I find unique is many players want to play this way but don’t know how. In my campaign for my sons and their friends I use a little more early medieval historical model, where full plate is extremely rare and essential not purchasable (and unknown in most areas of the world) and Chain Mail is considered the heavy armor of elites. Immediately the PCs became consumed with finding the knowledge of armors and people who can make it.

To go along with this I also increased the damage and greatly increased the rarity of crossbows, this became an obsession also.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I want a pony that attacks on its own turn without costing me an Action.

Just hie thee to level 5 Beastmaster, then it only costs you half an action! You still get to make your normal attack and command using the extra attack.

Then if you’re a dual wielding Ranger you still get two attacks plus your mount/companion’s attacks.

Yay!

Remove ads