D&D General Anyone else go from 1st Edition to 5E?

Yes, but I’ve played every edition, and but not very much of 5e, and I haven’t played 1e since 2001, so I haven’t thought about that transition.

Last edited:

Audiomancer

Adventurer
I played B/X and 1E back in the 80s, then stopped just as 2E was coming out (my gaming group broke up around that time, because we all scattered when we started college).

Fast forward to Fall 2014. I started seeing stories on the web along the lines of, “There’s a new edition of D&D, and it looks pretty good.” A couple of Amazon clicks later, and I had the core rulebooks. Though I didn’t find a table to play at until 2016.

To a degree. I played a little hybrid 1st/2nd edition, and a very little 3rd edition, but I played mostly 1st edition then 5e. I played other RPGs in the intervening period.

To a degree. I played a little hybrid 1st/2nd edition, and a very little 3rd edition, but I played mostly 1st edition then 5e. I played other RPGs in the intervening period.
You seem a good person to tell the OP about 1e to 5e differences, as presumably you’ve played a lot of both more recently than most folks.

MGibster

Legend
Oh, boy! This would make a fantastic premise for a television show.

Myron Redding was just your average 14 year old AD&D enthusist who wanted nothing more but to return home from The Goblin's Cage hobby shop and read through his newly purchased Oriental Adventures book. However, fate would intervene in the form of a Randoolan Class IV light cruiser which picked him up and took him to the Blarfnarv solar system. Myron has returned home, but through the miracle of time dilation, what was 29 years on Earth was only 6 months to him! Now, in the year 2014, Myron must reacquaint himself with what it's like to be a Freshman in high school as well as the new 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons. Watch episode 1 as Myron laments the loss of the Advanced part of Dungeons & Dragons!

Remove ads