Anyone else HATE the 3E stat block?

Berandor

lunatic
Special abilities below the attacks is a great idea, because I tend to forget them, too.

I also tend to write the attacks thusly:

2 tentacle rakes +3 melee (1d6), bite -2 melee (1d4)

Perhaps this would be all right, too?

2 tentacle rakes +3 melee (1d6, improved grab), bite -2 melee (1d4)

Berandor

EOL

First Post
I know this is somewhat OT but is there any mandated D20 stat block or can each D20 publisher configure their stat block any way they like? I seem to remember reading something along those lines, but having turned 31 today my memory has large gaping grey zones.

If there is no mandated stat block it would seem that this is exactly the sort of thing that open source is good at, producing innovations in form and function that gradually spread to all corners because of their utility. I agree that it could be much better, and if space were not an issue I'd be inclined to go with Karinsdad's suggestion. Unfortunately space is an issue so we'll have to see what the various publishers do.

Neowolf

First Post
Personally, I've always hated the idea of "let's cram as many statistics into as small a space as possible," including putting multiple stats on one line. My favorite is the format the Monster Manual uses: one stat per line, with nonstatistical descriptions in paragraph format below. Just my 2 coppers. :)

Drew

Explorer
EOL said:
I know this is somewhat OT but is there any mandated D20 stat block or can each D20 publisher configure their stat block any way they like? I seem to remember reading something along those lines, but having turned 31 today my memory has large gaping grey zones.

If there is no mandated stat block it would seem that this is exactly the sort of thing that open source is good at, producing innovations in form and function that gradually spread to all corners because of their utility. I agree that it could be much better, and if space were not an issue I'd be inclined to go with Karinsdad's suggestion. Unfortunately space is an issue so we'll have to see what the various publishers do.

No, there is not a mandated Stat block. Creating a universal stat block for all d20 publishers to use is exactly what we were trying to do with the Quest for the One True Stat Block that went on here on the ENWorld Boards. For the fruits of that labor, please check out the following:

http://www.d20statblock.org/

Quickbeam

Explorer
Heaven knows that I completely agree with you Nemmerle -- the current stat block is utterly suboptimal in just about every possible way!! Karinsdad posts the kind of block I'd like to see in the published material, and the kind I use when taking prep notes before DMing a session. Most gamers would be willing to spend a few extra bucks on the MM, PHB, DMG and other errata, if the additional space consumed translated to slightly higher production costs per item. It would just be nice to have the stats used most frequently blocked together, and the special abilities posted as something other than an afterthought.

Ulrick

First Post
What I've done is either manually type up the stat blocks (which take time), or photocopy them from the adventure (RttToEE has lots) and cut them out and glue them on index cards. If I type them up, I bold face the creatures essential stuff for combat (such as AC, attacks, etc.) If photocopied, I simply underline the essential stats.

I do this because it helps the game run a lot faster. Before the session, I go through the card organizer and select what creatures I need--I even have a separate section for NPCs. Everytime I buy I module or have to type up new stats, I put them in the organizer.

I'm gonna start doing the same for spells an perhaps even magic items.

I hope that helps cure the stat block blues for some people.

Ulrick

Agamon

Adventurer
I have no problem with the stat block itself, only it's presentation, such as split up on 2 diffferent pages, or all grouped up at the back of the adventure. That's what really eats up time, not how it's organized, in my opinion.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Wow, I like Karinsdad's take on the stat block.

I may have to adopt that as my own preferred form (but I still may put initiative at top).

Wild Karrde

First Post
I always have a hell of a time with the stat. blocks as well. So I use an adventure sheet to save "game time" at the cost of more "out of game time". Before every session I sit down and write out the important stats of all the creatures the PCs are likely to run into.

It's similar to Karinsdad's example. The problem with this is sometimes the make more progress or get to somewhere I didn't think they'd go and then I have to do some page flipping and deciphering to get the information from the stat. blocks. But for me it works well and lets combat flow pretty smooth.

Remove ads