• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone else here into bizarre cult movies?

Wombat

First Post
Truth Seeker said:
Yow!!! I am glad that I am not the only one to see that...City of the Lost children is one of my favorite also.:cool:

Mmmm, anything by Jeunet & Caro -- I love Delicatessen :cool:

And most films by David Lynch...

But now I am waiting for Highway 61 to come out on dvd; I just got Cold Feet, so things are going well that way :D

And favourite western? High Plains Drifter Gotta love undead gunslingers ;)

Faerl'Elghinn

First Post
Conaill said:
My #1 favorite movie. Not sure I would call it a Cult movie, but I'm not going to complain. Definitely a movie you can see over and over again, and you'll keep catching more interesting details.

By the way, if it left you "with an overall sense of well-being", then i really, REALLY hope you didn't see the US commercial release version instead of the original version. If the movie ended with a happy ending that didn't seem to make much sense, you saw the mutilated version... The original version explains a lot of the weird stuff that happens during the rescue scene.

Hah!! I never realized it was Terry Gilliam until I looked it up just now. Anyway, I don't really remember much about it, as I only watched it once, several years ago, probably stoned, but I just remember it as being like some kind of crazy, happy dream... I probably saw the commercial version, but am now very interested in locating a copy of the original version, as I remember enjoying it immensely. Even further back, I remember liking Time Bandits, but I was about 7 or 8 at the time. Maybe I should rent that one, too...

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Buckaroo Banzai: Across the Eighth Dimension.
Blood Simple
Valley of Gwangi
The Brood
Dark City
Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter
Count Yorga, Vampire
Dead and Buried
Beastmaster
Evil Dead
Pretty much any Hammer studios movie

Conaill

First Post
Hmm... maybe we'll have to differentiate between great non-mainstream movies and movies that are "so bad they're good". The ones I listed were in the first category. Some of the ones other people posted would definitely fall in the second...

Faerl'Elghinn

First Post
Conaill said:
Hmm... maybe we'll have to differentiate between great non-mainstream movies and movies that are "so bad they're good". The ones I listed were in the first category. Some of the ones other people posted would definitely fall in the second...

I'm not a big fan of the "so bad they're good" ones. I'm more into the bizarre, dreamlike, paranoid delusional ones. I hate Ed Wood, I dislike Rocky Horror, pretty much dislike Troma films in general, so anything in that vein is probably not my style. There are basically two separate categories of cult films. "Non-mainstream" isn't exactly a great way to describe the first one. There are alot of independent films which are entirely "normal". I think maybe "completely insane but beautifully presented" and "bizarre and so terrible that some people think they're art" are better ways to differentiate. I'm a fan of the former category, and not so fond of the second.

reanjr

First Post
Caliber said:
Dead Alive: An Australian zombie flick, this movie gives rise to some of the most memorable scenes in movie history (at least in my mind). Like the kung-fu wielding Catholic Priest vs. two zombies. Or the lawnmower wielding maniac vs. horde of zombies. Or, perhaps best of all, blender vs. zombie baby. :]

I find it kind of odd that you mentioned Peter Jackson's production of the previous movie, but failed to mention that Dead Alive was directed by Peter Jackson and had him in a bit role (the nazi vet's assistant who accidentally fills "Mum" up with too much embalming fluid). It was also written by Frances Walsh, one of three writer's for the Tolkien Trilogy, Peter Jackson, and someone else.

Faerl'Elghinn

First Post
reanjr said:
I find it kind of odd that you mentioned Peter Jackson's production of the previous movie, but failed to mention that Dead Alive was directed by Peter Jackson and had him in a bit role (the nazi vet's assistant who accidentally fills "Mum" up with too much embalming fluid). It was also written by Frances Walsh, one of three writer's for the Tolkien Trilogy, Peter Jackson, and someone else.

I also pointed that out in my reply. I find it very ironic indeed if it was a matter of mere happenstance and the original poster was unaware of the connection.

reanjr

First Post
David Howery said:
hmm.. when the subject is cult films, I thought one of you would have mentioned Rocky Horror.... it's not really a favorite of mine, but it was lots of fun to watch in the theater, if you don't mind getting wet and getting rice down your shirt....

The two minutes of film I have experience from that movie were two of the most horrid minutes of movie-watching in my life. If I want to see a show and get sprayed by weird stuff, I'll go see G.W.A.R.. Much better acting, much better music, much better...

fluids...

Conaill

First Post
Faerl'Elghinn said:
I think maybe "completely insane but beautifully presented" and "bizarre and so terrible that some people think they're art" are better ways to differentiate. I'm a fan of the former category, and not so fond of the second.
If "completely insane but beautifully presented" is your schtick... definitely check out some of Peter Greenaway's movies. The guy makes outrageously beautiful movies, often with each scene almost looking like a still-life painting.

Drowning by Numbers
The Pillow Book (just remembered that one - gorgeous!)
The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover (great title! :D)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads