• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone else here into bizarre cult movies?

Templetroll

Explorer
Faerl'Elghinn said:
I absolutely, positively, flat-out REFUSE to watch another Ed Wood movie. I rented Orgy of the Dead, and almost barfed all over my orange suede Docs... That was the absolute worst movie I have ever attempted to watch.

Watch
with Johnny Depp; that was a fun flick. you get to enjoy the best of his bad movies that way without actually watching any! ;)

Faerl'Elghinn

First Post
Feldspar said:
As I understand it, that movie is based on a book (of the same name) by JG Ballard whose childhood experiences of spending WWII in a Japanese prisoner of war camp was made into the movie "Empire of the Sun" by Spielberg.

I. LOVE. THAT. MOVIE. Did you know that the kid was Christian Bale, star of the unusual movies American Psycho and Velvet Goldmine (also starring Ewan MacGregor as a pseudo Iggy Pop). He was also in the film Swing Kids, an excellent film about underground swing dancers under the Nazi Regime.

Last edited:

Qlippoth

Explorer
A couple of already-mentioned titles (Repo Man, Lair of the White Worm, Night Breed), plus a few more:

Putney Swope (subversive and funny);
The Man Who Fell to Earth (weirdness & humor);
Village of the Damned (sci-fi/horror with a high scare factor-to-budget ratio);
The City of Lost Children (atmosphere, atmosphere, atmosphere)
Dune (David Lynch's version--which I didn't actually think was that bad)

Last edited:

kirinke

First Post
Tron: 80's flick that set the stage for computer animation
Last Star-Fighter: 80's flick that also was an earlier inovator of computer animation.

Faerl'Elghinn

First Post
Qlippoth said:
The City of Lost Children (atmosphere, atmosphere, atmosphere)
This one's been mentioned, and I saw and loved it. It was also a very strange Sega CD game.
Dune (David Lynch's version--which I didn't actually think was that bad)
On the contrary, I thought it was great. Very vivid movie. David Lynch is one of my absolute favorite directors, and I'd be surprised if anyone could come up with one of his movies I haven't seen. I liked the Sci-Fi Channel's version as well.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I wonder how 'cultish' some movies are. I'll list some of the movies I liked that are not well known. Many of these have been posted. In no particular order...

American Psycho
Equilibrium
City of Lost Children
Dune (David Lynch's)
Buckaroo Bonzai
Big Trouble in Little China
Dark City
Evil Dead (the whole sequence)
High Plains Drifter
Flash Gordon (The '80s version)
Akira (Can this qualify?)
Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise
Blade Runner
Groundhog Day
The Thing (John Carpenter's)
Mad Max
The Road Warrior
Time Bandits
Castle in the Sky

Regards,
Eric Anondson

Last edited:

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Some more cult classics [SPOILERS!]

Well, I think that one of the big cult classics of its time was the (original) Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Its low-budget quality & look have, as some reviewers have said, given it a documentary-like, almost realistic look to the film (which I can understand with the look of the images, but not when it comes to the camera angles used in some cases). It also subtly works in real-world issues that were relevant at the time (the oil embargo of the 70's for example--the kids couldn't just get in their van & drive away because they neglected to get gas earlier, and the only gas station around was out of gas thanks to the embargo [albeit other potential motives for this come to light later on in the movie]). The movie sort of has a happy ending with 1 of the kids escaping with her life, though she doesn't necessarily escape with her sanity; also, the bad guys weren't truly thwarted/stopped, either--one dieddue to sheer luck/circumstance, but the others were quite capable of continuing their evil deeds.

In a way (IMHO), this film was so successful as a "cult classic" (considering that a bunch of UT students made the film, rather than being a product of one of the major studios at the time), that in a way, it moved from being a cult classic to being iconic. It lead to a number of sequels (of questionable quality), as well as a remake.

The original Night of the Living Dead is another great example of a cult classic which, in turn, becomes iconic for movies of its genre. It too touches on current issues of the day (racism, for example). It also lacks a truly "happy" ending; even though there is a major effort underway to get the zombie problem under control, none of the characters we are initially introduced to & watch for most of the film survive the ordeal (the last person's death being especially tragic). This film also has become iconic, and has spawned sequels and remakes of its own, as well.

IMHO, a modern attempt at making a current horror "cult classic" film would be Rob Zombie's House of 1,000 Corpses. To tell you the truth, I didn't care for the film when I first saw it in the theater--I felt like the arduous process it took to even get this film to theaters (long production & editing) had adversely affected the film. Also, it seemed to be more like a 90-minute music video rather than a movie with the way it was edited (not that surprising, considering who directed it). Then, I watched it again on DVD, thinking there'd be at least extra footage along with it, or possibly added back in to the film (ala the EE LotR films). The DVD version was the same--no director's cut, no deleted scenes, etc.

It was after watching it again that I started to catch on to this one. It obviously emulates a lot of the classic late-night horror films of yore--the stuff of Elvira & what not (something which is mentioned in the film itself, w/ the lil' Dr. Wolfenstein's Creature Feature Show on TVs during the beginning of the movie). It's a weird mix of gore & camp, much like a fair number of horror films shown on such late-nite shows. It doesn't have a happy ending. The film is made so that the viewer doesn't sympathize for the victims, and cheers on the villains.

I think House of 1,000 Corpses could be a cult classic, though part of me feels like it's tried to be/behave like one from the get-go. For me, I think a cult classic film just "is" one, and doesn't consciously "act" like one, if you get my drift. It seems that cult classics are just made as films, and gain the status later after they're viewed by the masses, rather than be made intentionally as a "cult classic" during the process of making the film. Then again, time will tell for House of 1,000 Corpses, as well as for its sequel, The Devil's Rejects (which, IIRC, is supposed to be less campy and more gruesome than its predecessor).

IMHO, I'd have to say that a fair number of films by Monty Python (or its members) are cult classics, or at least started off that way. The "Monty Python" films (Holy Grail, Life of Brian, Meaning of Life) are rather big, though usually 1 ranks highest among all 3 for most folks (IIRC, Grail is the most popular in America, while Life of Brian is the most popular in Britain [if not Europe]). However, other films by various Pythons (as actors &/or directors) also wind up beign cult classics, IMHO: Gilliam's Brazil, Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Time Bandits, and 12 Monkeys; Jones' Eric the Viking; Palin's Jabberwocky, the Ripping Yarns series, and The Missionary; Cleese's A Fish Called Wanda; Chapman's Yellowbeard; Idle's The Rutles; etc.

Then again, that's just MHO on the matter.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads