D&D 5E Anyone else just want a straight up Monster Manual II?

No. I've got too many monsters as it is. Without extensive and interesting lore, I really don't care as I don't need a bigger library of stat block.

I guess I could see it IF you only use WotC sources, but as others have said, their are lots of third party quality products as well as one of my favorites, the 1d6 Adventures compendium of Monster a Day monsters.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The Tome of Beasts and Creature Codex cover this pretty well: I prefer the Volo's or Ravnica/Eberron/Theros arrangement, personally, but those Kobold Press books are solid gold.

Shiroiken

Legend
I think the only problems with VGtM and MToF is the fact that they spend space on player options/fluff. I want focused monster books (Van Rictor's Tome of Undead would be amazing), which gives more detail on them. For example, the section on beholders was really enjoyable, helping to expand and explain these weird creatures.

Li Shenron

Legend
I can always use more monsters!

While I enjoyed Volo approach of in-depth knowledge on selected creatures, it would be fine to just have a MM2 with more traditional short descriptions. Large lore is a double edged sword, it can win you over and then you happily use it all, but it leaves you more constrained at the same time.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I can always use more monsters!

While I enjoyed Volo approach of in-depth knowledge on selected creatures, it would be fine to just have a MM2 with more traditional short descriptions. Large lore is a double edged sword, it can win you over and then you happily use it all, but it leaves you more constrained at the same time.

Less work to throw away fluff and lore than to make it: not everyone wants to do all the heavy lifting, necessarily.

I actually create most of the monsters I use myself, so I don't feel a huge need for additional monster manuals of any type, but I have no objection in principle.

delericho

Legend
Before they produced Volo's and Mord's Guides, I would very much have liked an MM2. As it is, the utility of such a book is limited - like others, I have more monsters than I'd ever use, so it would need to be something really special to interest me.

That said, what I would be interested in is a book that compiles all the "non-adventure" bits from their recent adventures - the naval rules from Saltmarsh, the urban rules from Waterdeep, the vehicle rules from Avernus, etc. Such a book might well have space to compile the monsters from those adventures too, especially if they omitted the named NPCs.

Sadras

Legend
Not interested really. Still have plenty of monsters to get through with MToF and VGtM
Also I'm far more interested in getting the Expanded Monster Manuals as someone mentioned earlier in the thread.

ccs

41st lv DM
Absolutely.
Collect all of the monsters stat blocks appearing in the adventures to date, bundle them together, add pages as necessary to get to whatever min. page count (there's 40+ years & thousands of critters to promote into 5e) & collect my $50 or so.
Print me something useful vs filler material like that ridiculously over-priced CoS collectors set.

And eventually when the various settings - Ebberon/MTG books/Crit Role etc have enough new monster entries combined? Collect them & sell me a "MM3 - Worlds of D&D" volume.

Remove ads