D&D 5E Anyone else just want a straight up Monster Manual II?

Fanaelialae

Legend
I picked up the two Monster Manual Expanded books a few weeks ago, and finally got to use them last session. I quite like them. The creatures seem fairly well balanced, and many of them have interesting and flavorful abilities. Although that's only based on a read through and one session of actual use (I used some of the werewolves).

If you don't want to buy the POD, you could just get the PDFs and print out whatever stat blocks you anticipate you might need for the next session. I do that sometimes anyway, since it's easier than flipping back and forth through books when you have a mixed group of monsters. If you're worried about wasting ink, take a screenshot of the page using something like Snipping Tool (Windows) and toss it in a graphics editor (Paint will suffice), then crop out anything you don't need and print. Or just buy a laser printer, which is what I eventually did.

That said, I'm a sucker for monster books. I already have more than I regularly use. So I'd almost certainly buy an MM2.

Nebulous

Legend
I would get it, but I don't need it, and I at this point in 5e I hope they don't put one out. I have more than enough monsters, and would only be interested in campaign specific beasties, like Dark Sun or Spelljammer. This thread reminded me that I have the full color Tome of Horrors 5e sitting on my computer, a massive massive book of monsters I've never once used. Although some are, um, questionable, like the armor plated beaver.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No, I don't just want a straight up MM II. There are plenty of monsters to pick from. There aren't nearly enough feats, subclasses and classes to pick from, though.

jgsugden

Legend
Out of curiosity - for all you DMs like that me that have played multiple editions - do you really struggle to take older edition monsters and drop them into 5E? For example, Yellow Musk Creepers, Aurumvorax, Guardinals, Huge Elementals, and dozens of other monsters important to my campaign setting were homebrewed into the game during the first 3 months of the new edition.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Out of curiosity - for all you DMs like that me that have played multiple editions - do you really struggle to take older edition monsters and drop them into 5E? For example, Yellow Musk Creepers, Aurumvorax, Guardinals, Huge Elementals, and dozens of other monsters important to my campaign setting were homebrewed into the game during the first 3 months of the new edition.
For me it isn't really a struggle per se. It's just that I generally prefer to focus on other things (home brewing classes or working on adventures) so I tend to only stat up creatures that are unique to my campaign.

Converting monsters from previous editions isn't generally too difficult, but I find it time consuming as well as a bit tedious, so I would rather pay for a decent conversion than have to do it myself.

Remove ads