• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone else mark the monster population ON a copy of the dungeon map when preparing?

One thing I've found that helps me understand a module I'm preparing is taking the time to mark out where each creature defaults to in the module's lay out. It's a little time consuming, but it helps me IMMENSELY to grasp how things are laid out and who might come running if PCs call attention to themselves.

Also it helps give me a heads up when an older module might need to have a room expanded a few squares so 30 some orcs don't have to be crammed hip to hip (Slave Pits of the Undercity, I'm looking at you).

Anyone else do this?

Attachments

• 001 map.PNG
    001 map.PNG
    13.5 KB · Views: 161

S'mon

Legend
Yes, I tend to write "4 orcs" type stuff on the map, unless the map key is on the same page & already lists that stuff. This is one reason I greatly prefer white, non-glossy paper.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I've come to use multiple references for maps as needed. And one of those is Monsters. That way I can simply erase, say, #18 and move it if that monster changes lairs. Or erase it if they are killed off.

What it sounds like you are talking about is Marching Order for Monsters. How they array themselves and what they do when not out wandering.

I've found my List Keys are easier to track and consolidated now. Rarely are their more than 20 different kinds of Monsters (EDIT: I repeat #s on the map for split up groups). And Treasure not on the Monsters is usually mobile, so it gets numbered too. It's the Traps, Magical Areas, $ecret Doors, and stuff which are built into the dungeon. But that's what we have all those key symbols for, right?

Also, This means some rooms go unnumbered, but I'm not really concerned about empty rooms. I use the numbers to track the stuff in and going on in them.

Last edited:

Libramarian

Adventurer
I don't, although I can see the value of doing that. I think most dungeon maps would benefit from having more information on them. The only reason to keep maps blank apart from the number key I can think of would be to facilitate restocking/re-using them.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I don't. And I actually dislike when written adventures do that. Our group tends to put maps into a digital format and either use Maptools or a projector and if the creatures are already detailed on the map, it looks goofy when the token or mini moves and then that square just has a big S that doesn't do anything for the combat.

Also, there are times when creatures are hidden or invisible. If we see a big I there, likely there is a creature there, Invisible Stalker for instance, and it gives the players extra information above what they would normally have.

Remove ads